Pricing of OEM Toyota/ Lexus parts in the Seattle (Tacoma) area- local practice of new nationwide trend?

GON

$100 Site Donor 2024
I have noticed that both a Toyota retail dealer, and a Lexus retail dealer, are charging retail parts buyers a substantial markup above MSRP for the parts. I fully understand it is a free market, this is just not a practice I am used to see.

The local Lexus dealer is charging up to 300 percent above MSRP for retail parts sales. This is not on a $2 bolt, but on body parts in the hundreds of dollars. Earlier today I went to a local Toyota dealer for a part that MSRP for $32. My retail cost $45. I saw the parts screen. Dealer cost $21, MSRP $32, then a e-buyer cost of $45. I inquired with the parts counter person, he replied that is what they do, but he would give me $5 off, so then charge me $40 for a $32 MSRP part, before the 10 percent sales tax.

Wondering if others are seeing this practice in their local area? I have never seen this before.

Last edited:
I noticed that even in 2016 when I went to the local dealer for touch up paint and plastic fasteners. Back then parts.com existed so I got them there. No tax either at that time. The actual parts still came from a dealer who offered a discount on the forum, only the discount was 3x using parts.com

Yes, I've seen it in action here, too. I've mentioned the list price to them and they've knocked some off as a result. Lately, I've been pooling my purchases so I can get free shipping from online dealers like McGeorge who also discount their parts.

Parts on eBay from a power seller works. A $300 drip rail was $80’s. I emailed the seller asking how come right is $240 and left $80? They said when you see that the lower price is from Japan and distributors in North America are cut out…it was my only choice on a cup holder as it repeatedly breaks (2006 LS). $118 shipped from Japan, like $180 otherwise. Last time I got it $140.

Parts on eBay from a power seller works. ...
If you can find a reliable eBay seller with genuine OEM parts, you can get good deals.

Mazda issued a TSB on the engine mounts for my car. I got a new OEM part of the new design on eBay for about half what it would cost from a parts shop, even bigger discount from dealers. Similar experience with an IACV for a Subaru, cost about 1/4, that was over 5 years ago and it's still working fine. Again these are for genuine OEM parts, not cheap aftermarket knock-offs. But you have to search carefully to avoid the lies and scams.

It’s always been like that in my area. I know what dealer groups to stay away from. I was helping my friend change his oil on his Mazda, I went to the dealer for a new drain bolt and washer. The price they tried to sell it to me was crazy. I left them on the counter and walked out.

Been that way on Nissan Parts in South Carolina for a very long time. If you walk in its MSRP +. I have seen that at 3 different dealers I have been to. Why I always order online.

Funny thing is I can go to part.nissanusa.com, buy it from one of the local dealers at a discount from MSRP, and walk in and get it. Time/place utility I guess.

Now that I have a Toyota I am noticing replacement OEM parts are much more expensive than I am used to as well - even at MSRP.

• Helpful
Reactions: GON
If you go to the toyota parts website, do a lookup for a local dealership when searching a part. You will notice the pricing on the part is different depending on the dealer. Most participating dealers on this site at least do % off MSRP. You can page back and select a different dealer to see price difference. I was doing this looking for WS ATF and found at least one dealership 35% off MSRP. Even if you select shipping, you will be charged at the dealership selected price. Sometimes there are also codes for free shipping over a certain amount.

Last edited:
  • Helpful
Matrix pricing.

A lot of people forget that manufacturers can sometimes pay well above retail (to dealers) on warranty jobs, so selling at MSRP (to a retail customer) is less desirable than selling to their internal shop.
Selling to both is even better, if my math is right.

Not sure how you arrived at that conclusion? Retail and wholesale sales are far from the primary source of revenue.
My point was they can sell to the shop, and sell to retail customers as well - ie sell to both. Some margin from the retail customer is still margin, even if they make more in the shop, assuming there is no supply shortage.

If the OEM was going to pay for a warranty repair, that customer wouldn't be in the parts department to begin with. When they walk out, they took 100% of their money with them.

My point was they can sell to the shop, and sell to retail customers as well - ie sell to both. Some margin from the retail customer is still margin, even if they make more in the shop, assuming there is no supply shortage.
All about allocation of resources...

I have noticed that both a Toyota retail dealer, and a Lexus retail dealer, are charging retail parts buyers a substantial markup above MSRP for the parts. I fully understand it is a free market, this is just not a practice I am used to see.

The local Lexus dealer is charging up to 300 percent above MSRP for retail parts sales. This is not on a $2 bolt, but on body parts in the hundreds of dollars. Earlier today I went to a local Toyota dealer for a part that MSRP for $32. My retail cost $45. I saw the parts screen. Dealer cost $21, MSRP $32, then a e-buyer cost of $45. I inquired with the parts counter person, he replied that is what they do, but he would give me $5 off, so then charge me $40 for a $32 MSRP part, before the 10 percent sales tax.

Wondering if others are seeing this practice in their local area? I have never seen this before.
The Fields auto sales group has been doing this in the Orlando area for a good number of years. As of about 5 years ago their price for parts was MSRP +30%, I don't know what it is today. Fields started out selling only BMWs but now they own a lot of different dealerships in this area. I assume their pricing in the other dealerships is similar.

• Helpful
1682706065843.png
can switch to shipping. So basically just go and find the part, then click on look for local dealers and check which ones cheapest.

Was buying my TGMO oil at the local Toy dealer, until the price went to $12 a liter.
Now I use Mobil 1 0W-16 at $6 a liter when it goes on sale. Bought 2 jugs at that price.

For this oil change, I bought 2 - OEM Toy oil filters, 1 cabin air filter and an engine air filter, these were $100, but the parts guy knocked it down to $80. Won't be buying parts there any longer either. Saved the parts number off the boxes, will be going online OE or aftermarket going forward.

I'm done with Toyota parts pricing at the local dealer.

My local Toyota dealer in Northern NJ was charging 40% above MSRP for oil filters, air filter, and Cabin filter.
I declined the offer and purchased the aforementioned online for a healthy discount off MSRP. I don't mind paying MSRP to support the local business, but l have my limits.

Dealerships are not your friend. I've ordered 2 Toyota alloy oil filter housings for about $15 each (I forget) and they were at the dealer the next day. The dealer sells the composite ones for like $70.

My local Lexus dealsership, Lexus of Stevens Creek, is one of the nations biggest dealerships. They have great parts availability and prices. I would never buy a car from them, though. I go up the road to Putnam and get far better deals.

Back