There’s a difference between bando aftermarket vs bando oem etc

I’m just wondering about opinions on the Goodyear Gatorback or whatever Continental is calling it now that they bought that division. Aren’t there claims of being quieter?

The Goodyear Gatorback became Continental Elite, but they stopped making them a few years ago in favor of their new OE Technology Series, which is a regular straight ribbed belt. However, there aren't any problems with the new belt.

Actually Bando and Mitsuboshi are the OE in most cases. I'll take either of those made in USA belts before a Gates which is 50/50 likely made in China.

View attachment 185043

View attachment 185044
Agreed. This notion that Gates belts are somehow better than Bando, Aisin, Mitsuboshi - the dominant oe names among Japanese brands - is totally wack. On the many occasions I have done J Series changes, I always am tempted to stray to cheaper kits, but have never been disappointed with the Aisin kits and, almost always, with the Mitsuboshi belts. On the serpentine belts, go for a brand, but it matters more that you remember to change them every few years or more.

Agreed. This notion that Gates belts are somehow better than Bando, Aisin, Mitsuboshi - the dominant oe names among Japanese brands - is totally wack. On the many occasions I have done J Series changes, I always am tempted to stray to cheaper kits, but have never been disappointed with the Aisin kits and, almost always, with the Mitsuboshi belts. On the serpentine belts, go for a brand, but it matters more that you remember to change them every few years or more.

Gates/Unitta makes the OE Honda J-Series timing belt.

I think most aftermarket Gates stuff is trash, Have a similar opinion of aftermarket Bando.

Yeah. Just wondering myself. My parents just got the split belt on their 2008 Rogue replaced. Didn’t see a manufacturer’s name on the belt like I’ve seen on OEM Honda or Subaru belts, along with the OEM part number. My Subaru belts were both Mitsuboshi made in Japan but the replacements bought at a dealer were Gates made in US or Mitsuboshi made in Thailand.

The factory Nissan belt was very smooth and soft to the touch on the flat side. I couldn’t tell if it had a part number printed or if maybe I didn’t see it where it was stopped. The OEM replacement was US made and only had sparse dot printed markings on a textured surface that I’d characterize as “rough”.

Other belts I’ve seen have large areas on the flat side in colors like green or blue. It’s obviously just for appearances like typical for Mitsuboshi.

belt-set-gc8__55286.1517535042.jpg

I’m just wondering about opinions on the Goodyear Gatorback or whatever Continental is calling it now that they bought that division. Aren’t there claims of being quieter?
Ran a Gatorback for 150K miles on my Ford. Minor wear and stretch. Quiet the entire time. Too bad they stopped making them.

I think most aftermarket Gates stuff is trash, Have a similar opinion of aftermarket Bando.
I ran an aftermarket Gates for 80K on a gen 2 Prius. No problems. Still have one on a gen 2 Sienna with 88K on it from the last T-belt change. Think I’ll go OE Toyota next time. FWIW, a Gatorback was too tight on an old Lexus LS400, and it wrecked the alt in the process. I put a cheap Gates MasterPro on it, drove that car until it was scrapped.

If it's a 3rd gen tacoma, toyota had an updated belt to solve a noise issue....there are 2 OE part numbers. The more robust unit is probably the updated part, while the aftermarket just uses whatever stock they have and makes it the correct length (ish).

Not sure what the yardstick is, but have been using Bando serpentine "aftermarket" belts on hondas since the ice age, and have never seen a failure on many 60 to 90k intervals. You are entitled to opinions, but they are just that, and I think they are wrong. Does anyone out there have a legitimate critcism of Gates, Bando or Mitsuboshi belts? Is anyone not getting their 100k out of timing belts on Honda J series or other Honda engines?

I just bought a Bando aftermarket belt for a 2GR Avalon
Some comparisons to the factory 13y/72k belt for reference
View attachment 186926
View attachment 186927
View attachment 186928
I have read elsewhere that modern serpentine belts often look brand new even after high mileage and when failure is imminent. With the wear on the "business" surface of that OEM belt, I have to wonder if a tensioner, alternator bearing or belt roller bearing might be functioning incorrectly and producing excess drag on this vehicle. I have seen many belts looking a heck of a lot better with higher mileage.

Toyota Complete Maintenance Care vs Toyota Factory Replacement brakes for example. Apparently the first comes as a brake repair kit. The second one is superior and comes with a seperate number for each part, pads, shims, and hardware fitment. So it seems there are different tiers of quality available for certain items.

Just purchased OEM Toyota belt for an 2005 Rav4. Has Bando branding on it along with Toyota.

Material and build feels identical to Bando aftermarket belts. Has an interesting felt like material.

Just purchased OEM Toyota belt for an 2005 Rav4. Has Bando branding on it along with Toyota.

Material and build feels identical to Bando aftermarket belts. Has an interesting felt like material.
Not true In the case of my tundra and Lexus ls400

Back