Oil and Fuel Recomendations for 2018 VW Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Even further back, if you look at some of the 12,000 km severe service OCIs on SJ.
wink.gif

Interesting they left out the 1.8 still produced in the GSW (S 4Motion trim) and the Alltrack. Mine is a 2018 GSW S 4Mo w/1.8 and it is 502/504.

Originally Posted by 21Rouge
Just today did an oil change today on our 18 R.

In went 6 quarts of the 504 certified oil M1 ESP X1 0W30.

Sweet, you have good taste.

Originally Posted by edyvw
Originally Posted by josephp732
I would take a hard look at the new Pennzoil Platinum Euro 5W-40 New Formula (API SN+)

https://shell-livedocs.com/data/published/en/89db797b-d00c-4b95-8e28-cb5ffd24705f.pdf

Approvals:
MB 229.5
BMW LL-01
Porsche A40
VW 502.00/505.00
Chrysler MS-10725/MS-12991
Fiat 9.55535.Z2

This seems to be the first ACEA A3/B3 A3/B4 Euro oil that also has a SN+ API rating.

SN+ is irrelevant.

Not to mention you can get Castrol 0W-40 at Walmart for a lot less.

Wouldn't the new PP Euro SN+ rated oil have reduced calcium levels compared to Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro to help control LSPI in DI, Turbo higher compression engines? Plus $37.50 for 5 quarts isn't really breaking the bank.

Last edited:
Wouldn't the new PP Euro SN+ rated oil have reduced calcium levels compared to Mobil 1 0W-40 Euro to help control LSPI in DI, Turbo higher compression engines? Plus $37.50 for 5 quarts isn't really breaking the bank.

European engines do not have that issue.
Also, manufacturer specifications are much more stringent.

Not true - VW has had issues with LSPI and carbon buildup on the intake valves.

2018 Golf piston failure attributed to LSPI:

Capture.JPG

Last edited:
Originally Posted by KCJeep
How on earth would a 2018 already have a piston failure, LSPI or not? Odd. Was the engine run on the VW 508 0w20 perhaps?

It would appear that one way would be to bolt on a bigger turbo and add a bunch of bolt-on mods...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2KSKrbgGfHQ

Honestly, it's just silly to use that as an example of this engine "having LSPI issues". This is classic FUD....

Not true - VW has had issues with LSPI and carbon buildup on the intake valves.

2018 Golf piston failure attributed to LSPI:

Intake valves yes, but we are not talking about that here.
LSPI, no. There were issues with pistons on 1.4 engines that had turbo and compressor, but that was resolved long time ago.
Piston failures on VW/Audi's are usually attributed to slew of available modifications on the market, and unfortunately, that is not only failure. That prompted VW/Audi to check every vehicle under warranty with special software to see whether ECU recorded any abnormalities.

FWIW:

UOA for M1 ESP FORMULA 0W40

Any of those oils look good.
However, big question is TBN and TAN. Why you did not do that?
Several things:
1. TBN in Mobil1 0W40 (Old VISOM version and ESP Formula 5W30) in my UOA on VW CC and VW Tiguan depleted super fast.
2. Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 had pretty high TAN.
3. We would see what everyone is asking: can VW504.00/507.00 survive long OCI in these engines (TBN). My UOA in VW Tiguan several years ago indicated that Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 (VW504.00/507.00) would not be able to survive 5k. At 3k OCI TBN was at 1.7.

FWIW:

I consider the determination of TBN to be useful if one is considering a long OCI. And doing a rough extrapolation, it appears that for any of these oils I have had analyzed I would be 1 quart down somewhere around 8500 km i.e. about 5k miles. I refuse to add oil so out it comes.

Last edited:
As you can see the most recent oil used in our R was the M1 ESP FORMULA 0W40. And from the BStone UOA it did just fine (albeit in a relatively short OCI). The only official certification it possesses is dexos2. Simply put the R "requires" a 502 or 504 certified oil . I know of 5W30s that have both 502 and dexos2 and many 0W40s have the 502.

This particular M1 has dexos2 and so technically not suitable for warranty purposes.

I am curious if there are 0W40 oils that have both dexos2 and 502 certifications?

I consider the determination of TBN to be useful if one is considering a long OCI. And doing a rough extrapolation, it appears that for any of these oils I have had analyzed I would be 1 quart down somewhere around 8500 km i.e. about 5k miles. I refuse to add oil so out it comes.

I'm curious, why do you refuse to add oil? Wouldn't it be better to add that quart of oil and then extend the OCI a little bit more? If I stopped the OCI on my wife's BMW when it was down a quart I'd be doing 5000km oil changes on it. (most of it is leaking actually, it needs some gaskets replaced)

FWIW:

Yes, but many R owners do 5k changes. As I sad, around 2015 I did UOA of Mobil1 ESP Formula 5W30 which is VW 504.00/507.00 and it was already at 1.7 TBN at 3k. If you did 5K, it would give confidence people that they could go 5k on those oils. That is all issue around VW504.00/507.00

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back