Oil and Fuel Recomendations for 2018 VW Golf R

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: weasley
Originally Posted By: UG_Passat
504.00 is 5w30 only.

And 0W-30.

Mobil 1 0w40 has 502.00 and (should still have) 503.01, but not 504.

503.01 has been obsolete for 18 years - did you mean 501.01?

Probably , he meant 505.01 ..... just guessing though.

504.00 is 5w30 only.

And 0W-30.

Which 0w30 is has the vw cert ?

501.01 is 10w60, which VW dusted off for the R8 V10 engine

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: zeng
504.00 is 5w30 only.

And 0W-30.

Probably , he meant 505.01 ..... just guessing though.

No, 503.01. But the FS 0w40 loses that cert

504.00 is 5w30 only.

And 0W-30.

Which 0w30 is has the vw cert ?

501.01 is 10w60, which VW dusted off for the R8 V10 engine

In US? Pennzoil Platinum 0W30 LX is VW504.00/507.00.
In EU, Shell Helix and some others.
It is clearly stated by VW that VW504.00/507.00 are only 0/5W30.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jakeyjohn1
I'm still here! Thank you for all your responses! I haven't been able to finish following through on all the info posted in here.

Thank you edyvw! I completely overlooked the European and Import Motor Oils section after finding the oil recommendation sticky in the passenger motor oil section and have found a ton of great info in there!

I found lurbizol's relative performance tool and am still trying to figure out if higher numbers are better or worse and if its consistent with all categories. A3/B4 scores lower in aftertreatment than C3 as C3 show %P and %S limits but VW 502 scores lower than VW 504 and VW 504 has no %P or %S specification.

motech is right about a sticker in the engine compartment. It says VW 502 00, VW 504 00. Since VAG has collaborated on Castrol Edge I've been looking at those oils and it seems when Castrol Edge meets VW 504 it also meats ACEA C3. Likewise the Castrol Edge VW 502 oils meet ACEA A3/B4. Based on some of the first things I've read it seems VW 504 00/ ACEA C3 is the 'better' standard so I am leaning towards that, but I'm still reading.

I still havn't found an official source of information on the VW oil specs nor the ACEA.

While I appreciate the numerous recommendations for a 0W40 oil, I feel awkward going outside the manufacturers recommendation. Since 0W40 also passes at the specifications for 5W40 does it also technically meet VW's recommendation of 5W30 or 5W40? Since they have the same hot characteristics I don't have to worry about it being too thin?

If the general consensus is more detergents are better than I will try to use Shell premium. I will also use that VW additive.

You are confusing specifications.
ACEA A3/B3 B4 are not lower standard then C3. C3 is standard due to DPF in diesel engines. VW504.00/507.00 is primarily developed for diesel engines. However, it works in gasoline engines with direct injection only if gasoline that you are using is ultra low sulfur gasoline (ULSG). CA has tougher standard then rest 49 states, BUT I would stay away personally from VW504.00/507.00 in 2.0T regardless that it is Gen3. Problem with that spec is low TBN and due to fuel dilution your TBN might be shot by OCI. I did UOA on Mobil1 5W30 ESP that I used in Gen2 that it is in my Tiguan, and after 3k, TBN was really low.
ACEA A3 is full SAPS standard, meaning there is more sulfated ash, phosphorous etc. in oil. It is not friendly primarily to diesel after treatment systems (like in my BMW).
As for 5W40 or 0W30, forget that. What matters to you AGAIN is VW 502.00 and that could be 0W30, 5W30, 0W40, 5W40. What matters is operating temperature viscosity and HTHS. HTHS has to be minimum 3.5cp, and all VW 502.00 oil, regardless whether they are W30 or W40 are 3.5cp.
VW endorses Castrol, they have contract. On engine in my BMW also says Castrol, but in 2014 BMW switched supplier to Shell (Pennzoil). That does not mean Castrol is better then other oils in that engine. For example, Castrol 5W40 that you can buy in Wal Mart etc. is actually below average oil. But, take into consideration that VW502.00 specification is nothing special. What you want is oil that besides VW502.00 meets also MB229.5, Porsche A40 and BMW LL-01. Each specification brings something to the table and if that oil meets all of them then that is good quality oil. Take into consideration that some oils stop carrying BMW LL-01 for some reasons that are still not clear.
If you go with ACEA C3 oils, you can go for example with Valvoline 5W40 MST. I used that oil in BMW, and it is great product, better for example then that Castrol 5W40. It has more TBN as it meets VW 502.00 and VW 505.01.
But again, you are overthinking and I understand that because VW is notorious for confusing oil recommendations. Again, IMO, do not look further then Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40.
You can also order Castrol 0W30 on Amazon. However, it is same base stock as Castrol 0W40, just bit thinner and more expensive.
I would try all these really good oils that I mentioned before (I did) and find which one "feels" or "sounds" best to your ear. I found that Castrol 0W30 before 0W40 became readily available, and then 0W40 fit best my preferences.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which oil should I run and how often should I change it? Which fuel do you trust most in southern California? I don't know much about lubrication and this is the first car with which I've wanted to take these questions more 'seriously.'

Some people recommended a 0W-40 oil, that's not good advice for me is it?

5w40 will be fine for your location. Choose one that meets the specs as mentioned in your owner's manual. Use a top tier fuel. That way the car benefits from the extra detergents in it.

Thats an interesting graphic. Seems there are some large variances in fuel detergent content even within the top tier group.

Originally Posted By: gatorfast
Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
Which oil should I run and how often should I change it? Which fuel do you trust most in southern California? I don't know much about lubrication and this is the first car with which I've wanted to take these questions more 'seriously.'

Some people recommended a 0W-40 oil, that's not good advice for me is it?

5w40 will be fine for your location. Choose one that meets the specs as mentioned in your owner's manual. Use a top tier fuel. That way the car benefits from the extra detergents in it.

Thats an interesting graphic. Seems there are some large variances in fuel detergent content even within the top tier group.

I can fallow how often DPF in my BMW regenerates, and using Shell diesel it is every 400-425 miles. All other diesels I used are between 200-250 miles. That means Shell diesel produces least amount of soot.

I know I'm likely in the minority here, but if you want to use a VW504 spec oil, I use Motul X-Clean+ 5w30 and change every 5k miles. Again, I know it isn't what everyone else does, but I trust the product and have been using it for a few years now in my GLI with the same ea888 gen3 engine. It's a ACEA C3 oil that meets the VW504/507 spec, in addition to MB229.31 and 229.51, Porsche C30, and BMW LL-04.

I finally found the ACEA oil standards, err sequences.
ACEA 2012 - http://www.acea.be/uploads/publications/2012_ACEA_Oil_Sequences.pdf
ACEA 2016 - http://www.acea.be/uploads/news_documents/ACEA_European_oil_sequences_2016.pdf

edyvw you're right I was confusing specifications. As you and nolesfan point out there are oils that meet VW 502 00 and ACEA C3.
Thank you for pointing out those other specifications. How do you feel about the Renault and Ford specs?

I've been looking through all the A3/B4 vs C3, high SAPs vs low SAPs, and ethanol effects threads I can find. I'm currently leaning towards A3/B4 and edyvw's oil short list. I'm thinking about switching to the new oil early at around 333 miles (1/3 break in period) so the engine can break in with the lubricant it will be running longer term. Can I take good well mixed oil samples without draining significant amounts of oil? Could be cool to have samples analyzed more often...

Since the detergents seem to work as advertised I am considering using VW's fuel additive every 6000 miles prior to VW's Italian tune up prior to oil changes. VW's additive is recommended to be used in half tanks of fuel every 3000 miles if top tier gas is not available. Doubling that 3000 miles as a targeted OCI is convenient but I will decide the long term OCI based on Blackstone oil analyses.

I am concerned about what I have read about 91 octane gas in actuality being 87 octane with ethanol mixed in. I guess there isn't much I can do about it unless I go fill up at race tracks?

Thanks for the information on Polybutene! My gut tells me not to trust any of these additives, so that's easy for me to believe. I'm surprised people are experiencing significant noticeable differences from top tier detergents with real world use.

Thanks for the information on Polybutene! My gut tells me not to trust any of these additives, so that's easy for me to believe. I'm surprised people are experiencing significant noticeable differences from top tier detergents with real world use.

Do not use additives. Use top tier gas and that is it.
Renault and Ford spec? Nothing special, especially Ford.
Most important spec., ecept one you need for your vehicle (VW502.00) is MB 229.5! But always look for oil that has all these spec. since each spec. brings something to the table:
MB 229.5
Porsche A40
BMW LL-01
VW 502.00
If oil meets all those spec. use it with confidence.

To be clear for others who may be reading this, VW's recommendation of 5W30 and 5W40 is merely a recommendation, the manual does say you may use other viscosity grades and still be under VW's guidelines. It is their VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 spec they mandate.

I've been trying to understand why they make that recommendation, especially since they do not mention temperature or climate at all and as has been kindly pointed out 0W40 meets the required viscosity characteristics (as does 0W30).

I found some of the LSPI and base oil viscosity discussions on this forum. I understand LSPI to effect small displacement turbocharged engines, but I read that to mean a high boost/displacement ratio is the cause and wonder if sufficiently turbo charged larger displacement engines could experience similar issues. Maybe the misfiring Golf Rs are experiencing a LSPI-type event at cold start in certain conditions. The ECU fix for the issue is said to hold the idle at higher revs for a short while after start up, maybe the larger 2L engine doesn't need much speed to be out of LSPI territory...

Does the dexos1Gen2 spec contradict any specs on edyvw's list? I read that dexos2 includes LSPI protection as well. I noticed one of the ACEA C3 oils I am looking at, Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel 5W-40 https://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/8AF3E70A9129A89580257E2D004F520D/$File/BPXE-9VX5VU.pdf, meets dexos2 but doesn't have Porsche C30 though. Anyone know of a dexos1Gen2 oil meeting VW 502 00? I'm having a hard time finding anything.

In the Castrol Q&A Castrol wrote, " The important item is that the level of HTHS meets the vehicle manufacturers’ requirements for both fuel economy and protection. This is controlled through their recommendation of viscosity grade ( eg 5W-30 ) and specification ( eg API SN/ILSAC GF-5)." Since HTHS is dictated in the specification alone, perhaps Castrol is trying to hint at differences in base oils. Maybe in order to be 5W30 or 5W40 and meet VW 502 00/VW 504 00 the base oil would need certain characteristics which VW is trying to recommend but can't because of all the industry secrecy? VW is also suggesting 10k OCI so maybe they are just simply worried about shearing VIIs, which they assume there would be more of in 0Wxx oils?

I realize my choices are limited. I'm leaning toward Castrol Edge 0W40 A3/B4 or an ACEA C3 oil...

Originally Posted By: Smokescreen
Dang....VW has some oil-fussy engines !

VW has a variety of oil specifications, but people often use RT6 5w40 in their gasoline VW without any problem. Shell RT6 doesn't meet any of VW's unique specifications. In addition, people would use it in a non-DPF VW diesel without any problem.

Originally Posted By: BAJA_05
Castrol Edge 0W40 -- Mobil One 0W40 -- Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40 -- pick any flavor.
All available at Walmart in 5-quart jugs, or amazon.com has 'em kinda cheap too. Those are all VW 502 oils which is all you need to know here.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Again, IMO, do not look further then Castrol 0W40, Mobil1 0W40 or Pennzoil Platinum Euro 0W40.
In years past, we've heard those are so stout they can be used in racing applications. Indy500 cars once ran on Mobil1 0w40 straight off the shelf, true story.
https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/905607/1

Last edited:
I think I have narrowed my choices down to Castrol 0W40 A3/B4 and Mobil 1 ESP 5W30.

I'm still looking for an oil that has:
dexos1gen2
MB 229.5
Porsche A40
BMW LL-01
VW 502 00

But I'm starting to think dexos1gen2 contradicts the others? Are these sequences published publicly? I can't find them, just lists of certified oils.

Mobil 1 ESP 5W30 has what I think are the equivalent mid-SAPS versions of all the above (please correct me if that's a bad way of thinking about these):
dexos2
MB 229.51
Porsche C30
BMW LL-04
VW 504 00

Is the dexos2 specification giving me more benefit (in terms of wear and engine longevity) than the high-SAPS versions of the others specs?

Would either dexos specification be relevant in a 2L turbo DI engine with some reports of misfires on cold starts?

Dexos 1 gen 2 and the other specs you listed are mutually exclusive. I would stick with the typical LL-01, A40, 502, and 229.5 offerings (which are more stringent specs than dexos2). Pennzoil, Castrol, Motul, Liqui-Moly. Pick your flavor. I like Castrol because of price and availability. And it’s actually a PAO based oil, if that matters to you.

Also, misfire in cold start is not LSPI. I wouldn’t be too concerned with LSPI. Clearly VW isn’t too concerned about it given their oil recommendation. And not all TGDI engines are prone to it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back