Oil Advice for Toyota Pickup?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello Everyone,

I am a new member here but have been reading your forums for years. I would like to ask your opinions on what the best oil and viscosity is for my truck:

It is a 2005 Toyota Tundra Double Cab 4x4. It has 270000kms on it now and is still running great and consumes almost no oil on a regular OCI. The reason I want advice is the truck is now getting very short trips. We have moved and it basically goes 3 kilometres to work then 3 kilometres to the gym then 6 kilometres back home every day except for weekends where it will go 200km to the cottage and 200km home. To add to this its weekday driving is stop and go and winters in Ontario are very harsh (altho I do plug it in below -15ºC).

Currently I am using Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 with a wix filter. This has been changed every 5000-6000km. I done this OCI for about the past 70000km. Before that it was maintained by the dealer and they changed the oil every 8000km. Also I should note I just bought 5 bosch premium filters (72161).

Please let me know what you think. If I should stick with this plan or change it up a bit. Thanks!

Thanks! I might go a bit longer in the summer but the winter I see some yellow goop in the gap (i guess condensation) so i try to keep the OCIs short.

I've also been reading some 4.7L Toyota owners debating whether we can switch to 5W20 now? And if thats the case maybe 0W20 would be best as everyone here seems to like the Toyota synthetic version of this oil.

Any thoughts on this truck being on 0W20?

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it," It does not appear at all to be broken. Those weekend trips should prove sufficient to maintain your current OCI. PP is good oil, but I'd maintain exactly what you're currently doing.

I don't know about running a 0W20 oil in a 4.7L. Why not just run a 0W30 oil? I think CTC still carries Castrol 0W30. If you do decide to go the 0W20 route though, you can get the Mobil One 0W20 cheaper than the Toyota stuff when it goes on sale at CTC. The 0W20 comes in the big jugs. I have a Tundra 5.7L and I run this oil with 8000 km intervals with no issues. I am in the same climate as Sudbury.

Last edited:
Davvver:

Short trips are hard on your engine and the oil. Stick with the PP (which has 10% more additives than Quaker State) and try to drive the vehicle as much as possible at full operating temperature to burn-off contaminants and etc....

More frequent LOF changes might be necessary IF your situation only allows for short trips (i.e. winter & spring).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back