Offal or Awful?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Shannow
sheeps liver (Lamb's Fry) sliced thin, floured, fried in butter with salt and pepper on grainy toast is a fave breakfast (one I've not had in a half decade).

Similarly, Lamb's Fry, Bacon and Onion Gravy with mash...can't make it anymore wothout 3/4 of the house inhabitants gagging.

Steak and Kidney (again lamb) is a good stew/pie filling.

Weston Price when he did his review of dentition (and health) around the world found that the kids with the best teeth ate the most traditionally (including the bits that westerners don't eat), attributing it to "factor X" in organ meats and other stuff.

Later, we find that "Factor X" is Vitamin K2, and prevents osteoporosis AND calcification of arteries at the same time as protecting teeth and giving better jaw structure to growing kids.

And one of the highest (not huge) sources is hot dogs...nothing like goose liver pate, but indicative of what's in hot dogs.

Here in the US Lamb Fries are testicles.

Originally Posted By: c502cid
When I started traveling internationally for a living I tried a lot of different things I never thought I'd like. I have one rule with my hosts, don't tell me what it is until after I eat it. I spend a lot of time in China, sometimes I still dont know what it is when they tell me lol

I developed the same policy after being given a chicken **** dish! There is nothing on or in a chicken they will not eat.

Originally Posted By: grumpyoldman
Originally Posted By: bioburner
No one here for a plate of Rocky Mountain Oysters?

I've had them. Breaded and deep fried, they tasted like everything else that's deep fried. Didn't like or dislike them.

And here's another one I had eaten before I knew what it was. I liked it.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI
Here in the US Lamb Fries are testicles.

Same here...

Lamb Fries are testicles
Lamb's Fry is liver

Originally Posted By: DeepFriar
Originally Posted By: c502cid
When I started traveling internationally for a living I tried a lot of different things I never thought I'd like. I have one rule with my hosts, don't tell me what it is until after I eat it. I spend a lot of time in China, sometimes I still dont know what it is when they tell me lol

I developed the same policy after being given a chicken **** dish! There is nothing on or in a chicken they will not eat.

I eat a lot of sweet potatoes when I'm in China. LOL. that and KFC. Only time I eat KFC is in China. My first "real" Chinese meal in China was chicken elbows. It wasn't good.

The Chinese seem to trade their chicken breasts for our American chicken feet and think they have the better of the deal. In 5 weeks in China I saw about a dozen chicken feet but not one breast.

Still, I'd rather take my changes at a Chinese restaurant than eat offal.

I found chicken feet to not be worth the effort it took to eat them. They tasted just OK, but there wasn't much edible stuff there. I know tongue is not really an organ meat, but beef tongue is very good if you can get past knowing what it is.

I will eat many parts of an animal, but one part that is beyond me is lungs - tasteless and can't chew them.
lol.gif

Brain sandwiches used to be a South St. Louis delicacy but I haven't had one in years...breaded, deep fried on rye with an onion slice and yellow mustard.

I made some snoots recently and really liked them but nobody else in the house would even consider it. Blood sausage is bland and honestly reminds me of the heavy black bread that comes in a can...not my favorite thing.

Oddly enough I have no issue with all sorts of beef and pork parts, but if I handle raw chicken meat I simply can't bring myself to eat the cooked product...something about the texture of the raw meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back