Chicken livers, gizzards and hearts - do you eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Originally Posted By: Donald
Even my dogs/cats won't eat them.

In the body, the liver filters out the unwanted stuff from the blood. And I would eat a liver knowing its function?

I challenge you to provide facts that support your fear of liver.

It's yet another ridiculous statement, and I wonder how the dogs and the cats know how to not eat them.

It's not like an oil filter that loads up, and you end up eating the filter full of junk, the body works differently.

I'm guessing that Donald doesn't "know it's function"...therefore is back in nonsensical paranoia

Still interested in how the dogs and cats know...mine have always loved offal. Look at road kill, and there are places that the scavengers head for, and it's not the rump.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Originally Posted By: doitmyself
Even my dogs/cats won't eat them.

In the body, the liver filters out the unwanted stuff from the blood. And I would eat a liver knowing its function?

I challenge you to provide facts that support your fear of liver.

It's yet another ridiculous statement, and I wonder how the dogs and the cats know how to not eat them.

It's not like an oil filter that loads up, and you end up eating the filter full of junk, the body works differently.

I'm guessing that Donald doesn't "know it's function"...therefore is back in nonsensical paranoia

Still interested in how the dogs and cats know...mine have always loved offal. Look at road kill, and there are places that the scavengers head for, and it's not the rump.

I have put down chicken liver for my cat and dog. Neither eat it. Maybe they are picky.

As for me I hate the taste of liver the one or two times someone tried to get me to eat it.

Liver I don't like, gizzards and hearts YUM !!!My Grandma loved to cook and cooked them as well as Menudo and all sorts of foods Rabbit, Anchovies etc..

As for me I hate the taste of liver the one or two times someone tried to get me to eat it.

Thank you. Your first post implied that you avoided them because of per-conceived notions that they are "filters" that accumulate toxins more-so than other animal products we consume.

In the South, several chains, including KFC, sell livers. I used to work at a restaurant that sold them. They’re not bad if they’re fresh, but if they sit too long, they’re nasty. They smell just like a wet dog! My dad loved gizzards, but hated chicken (but not beef) livers. He got me eating beef liver and onions. I even have heart and tongue sometimes. I can’t have it often, because I have gout. Organ meats will make it worse.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 04SE
I can eat my own weight in livers but just don't care for gizzards and hearts. However, I am picky about the liver that I eat. I don't like those big cluster type pieces of liver. I like smaller pieces about the size of a pecan still in the shell, or around the size of my thumb. I guess you could call them 'popper' sized pieces. We went to a customer appreciation dinner put on by one of our fertilizer/seed companies and they had liver. I don't know which catering company they got it from but darn the batter/seasoning was good and they were fried perfectly.

I grew up eating all 3 as my Grandparents, Father and Brother all ate them. As an adult I just don't care for gizzards and hearts any more.

Anyone here eat livers, gizzards or hearts? Did you grow up eating them or how did you acquire the taste for them?

I like fish better and that’s good fish bait …
wink.gif

I'll destroy some fried livers and gizzards. We have a little place in town that can't be beat. I also like mullet gizzards!

I have eaten deep fried gizzards in bars before however they are not my favorite. I can eat hearts too but they usually just go in the garbage. I am not real crazy about the livers either.

Breaded and fried with garlic, gizzards and hearts are tasty. I don't like liver although it smells good cooking with onion and bacon.

My Favorite Chicken Liver recipe

Small Onion
1 can Campbell's cream of Celery condensed soup
Butter 2 TBLs
Rice ( not that pre cooked crap)

In a 12# frying pan (cast iron best) melt butter and saute onions, put in livers and saute both side until medium rare to medium. Be careful with the livers DO NOT STIR turn them with a gentle hand and a good spatula or you will have mush. Add Cream of Celery soup and heat through. Serve on a bed of hot rice.

When I was a young teen I worked on a chicken farm shoveling yep you guessed it chicken crap into a dehydrator. On cold days the owner would bring me the best chicken soup I ever had. It had chicken livers.gizzards,hearts,necks and feet. I got a real liking to hearts and necks. Not to fond of the chicken feet in the soup but they sure added flavor.

I love livers,hearts are good,gizzards...well if cooked correctly are all right.If overcooked-shoe leather.A splash of hot sauce on any of them is welcome.

I'm not against giblets, but I'm not a fan of it. Although one of my favorite dishes is chicken gizzard with garlic and sour cream.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by snoofer
Way back in the Day...
Kentucky Fried Chicken used to sell Chicken Livers.... Loved 'em.

They have always sold chicken livers here in my neck of the woods of NC as long as I can remember.

They use to have a livers lover Tuesday, but now it's on Wednesday. Couple weeks ago my wife was wanting them, and it cost $3.69 before tax. That's for the meal which includes two sides and a biscuit. She never eats them all, so I polished them off, and they were delicious. I like mine fried extra crispy.

From what I read, chicken livers are a regional menu item, so not every location has it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back