Chicken livers, gizzards and hearts - do you eat them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can eat my own weight in livers but just don't care for gizzards and hearts. However, I am picky about the liver that I eat. I don't like those big cluster type pieces of liver. I like smaller pieces about the size of a pecan still in the shell, or around the size of my thumb. I guess you could call them 'popper' sized pieces. We went to a customer appreciation dinner put on by one of our fertilizer/seed companies and they had liver. I don't know which catering company they got it from but darn the batter/seasoning was good and they were fried perfectly.

I grew up eating all 3 as my Grandparents, Father and Brother all ate them. As an adult I just don't care for gizzards and hearts any more.

Anyone here eat livers, gizzards or hearts? Did you grow up eating them or how did you acquire the taste for them?

Growing up, a local fried chicken place sold fried gizzards and I used to eat them. They sold them pretty cheap as if they were almost leftovers that they may as well sell. We'd get them almost like side items. I seem to recall that they sold liver too but I don't eat that so I don't know how they prepared it !

I don't get whole chickens these days so don't have them to eat, but when I did, and fried it, yes I ate them. When I get the thanksgiving turkey I dice the giblets (those bits) for gravy.

at least once a month dad will buy 3 lbs of gizzards(which always come with the odd heart or 4) and fry 'em up for supper (for 4 people)
the other 3(Mom, Dad, and my Brother) all like the hearts, but i just don't care for 'em.

occasionally dad will fry himself a squirrel to go along with the hearts and gizzards.

(he hunts squirrel -in season- in the woods on my brother-in-law's farm)

Last edited:
Haven't eaten them in bulk in years, but always liked the hearts then the gizzards. Liver, not really. It seemed bitter to me.

Growing up, my mother would cook a whole chicken and most of us kids would watch for the heart and try to be the first to snatch it up when the cooking was done. We considered it a delicacy. I also prefer dark meat to white meat...may be a connection.

Not a fan of liver, but I’d be happy to have a pile of hearts and gizzards. Those big turkey hearts are great too.

I eat them all we butcher our own raised chickens every year about 40to50 a year. Lately it’s beef liver I love rare with onions fresh cut from the butcher on Monday’s .99 cents a pound and some of the best lean protein you can eat.

Originally Posted By: earlyre
at least once a month dad will buy 3 lbs of gizzards(which always come with the odd heart or 4) and fry 'em up for supper (for 4 people)

He could buy them already fried from Lee's
wink.gif

Way back in the Day...
Kentucky Fried Chicken used to sell Chicken Livers.... Loved 'em.

Yes, yes and yes...

Chicken liver fried in a pan with a bit of oil...add some chopped garlic 2 minutes before you take it off the fire...delicous

The gizzards are used to make another delicious kind of food called "Ciulama" in my neck of the woods and it looks like this:

We make a stew out of the hearts called "Tocanita" with lots of fried onion and tomato paste .

Originally Posted By: hallstevenson
Originally Posted By: earlyre

He could buy them already fried from Lee's
wink.gif

sometimes he does just for himself, but mom and brother are both celiac... and their breading is decidedly not Gluten free.

My grandparents ate them. Me, never even tried them.

I ate chicken livers when I was young but do not anymore.
However I do buy them for bait when I go catfishing. The catfish love them

Originally Posted By: Donald
Even my dogs/cats won't eat them.

In the body, the liver filters out the unwanted stuff from the blood. And I would eat a liver knowing its function?

I challenge you to provide facts that support your fear of liver.

All articles that I read about liver come to the same conclusion: "If you avoid liver because of toxins, you should probably avoid the rest of the animal, too."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back