Poppy Roll Cake

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's made with a medium-soft yeast dough batter. The same kind of dough you'd use for a sweet raisin bread or a stollen. You can add nuts and candied lemon peel etc to it if you want. I chose to keep it simple. It's the basic dough with some almond butter, vanilla and cinnamon for flavor. The dough is rolled out to a large rectangle. Spread the poppy filling on it, then roll the dough up from both sides. Fold the edges over and tuck them under the loaf. I dropped my cake into a metal stollen baking form, because it makes a very nice regular shape, but you can do it without. Let the dough rise for about half an hour, then bake the sucker for about 75 minutes at about 375°F (Depends on oven). You can of course coat your cake with a glaze, which is recommended if you expect it to last for more than 2 days. I prefer the cake plain.

The filling is what may interest you most:

Boil 125 ml milk, add 200 g poppy seed (That'll cost you $15 if you buy poppy seed at a US supermarket! Buy overseas for ca $2 per pound). Ground poppy seed works best. You can use the whole poppy seed, but then you have to let the poppy soak in milk overnight. I buy whole poppy seeds, because they can be stored half a year and I grind only what I need. Anyway, add 20 g butter, 100 g sugar, vanilla, lemon zest and about 100 g candied lemon peel or currants (presoaked for at least a few days in rum, of course) or both. Mix all that and let the mixture cool down a bit. Then add a tablespoon rum and one egg and mix well. If the mix is too soft, you can thicken it with bread crumbs. You spread the cooled-down mix on the rolled-out yeast dough.

Here is a corner piece:

poppycake_s2139.jpg

One foot long loaf, fresh out of the oven:

poppycake2_2137.jpg

PS: Again, don't take a drug test for a couple weeks after eating so much poppy.
tongue.gif

Nice, I'm lazy and just visit my local Polish deli/bakery for poppy seed cake that is as good as my Mom's.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back