Odyssey first oil change (maintaining Hondas- Ugh)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changing the oil on our 14 Odyssey is pretty simple. I drive up on 3" ramps that allows enough clearance for me to swing a torque wrench on the drain plug. The oil filter on my daughter's 14 Accord is right in front of the motor and very easy to get to.

Originally Posted By: SIXSPEED
Changing the oil on our 14 Odyssey is pretty simple. I drive up on 3" ramps that allows enough clearance for me to swing a torque wrench on the drain plug. The oil filter on my daughter's 14 Accord is right in front of the motor and very easy to get to.

Looks like changing oil&filter of newer Accord I4 is fairly easy and not so messy according to this Youtube.

I change the oil on my kid's 2009 Civic with a motive fluid extractor from the top through the dipstick hole and then just jack up one side to do the filter. Real easy.

I do cold oil changes on my integra. There is zero oil spillage from the filter if you let the car sit overnight. No mess other than the tiny mess from the oil pan. Cold oil changes drains more oil than hot in this application.

I prefer that over my lexus is250, which is insanely messy due to the vertical oil filter.

Originally Posted By: fdcg27
We owned an Accord of the same generation, a '97, as well as two of the generation that followed, a '99 and an '02 and oil changes were and are a piece of cake.

Those changes sure were as easy as a piece of cake, but the cake Honda offers usually involves burning and cutting of your tongue by hot and sharp things at least the first few times you try to eat it. While other manufacturers offer the same cake that can be eaten without any painful lessons.
Guess how I know?

On all my CRV's and Accords.....lift up passenger side, take off front tire....filter is staring at you in the face.

Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman
I do cold oil changes on my integra. There is zero oil spillage from the filter if you let the car sit overnight. No mess other than the tiny mess from the oil pan. Cold oil changes drains more oil than hot in this application.

That's what I do on our cars, and is what I did on my 415,000mi Integra, for the very same reason.

I discovered that letting the engine sit overnight yielded an additional cup of oil over what I got if I drained the oil with the engine hot. That must be the residual oil that gets hung up in the bearings, etc., and has no time to drain when the engine is hot before the plug goes back in.

I'm sure it's true that draining the oil hot may remove more of the solids that tend to settle-out onto the bottom of the pan overnight, but if you change the oil frequently enough, those contaminants are going to be suspended in the oil in the first place -- which is the oil's job...

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Originally Posted By: spasm3
Originally Posted By: greenjp
Originally Posted By: Uregina09
Pop drops the mic and leaves the stage. Boom!

Please don't encourage him
grin.gif

jeff

Not dropped lol more like threw the mic at JHZR2!

Perhaps your reading comprehension is as poor as Pop's...

Easy there Champ!!! I was trying to poke fun at how pompous Pop's posts are, as i've done' before. Sorry if you interpreted that has a dig at you.

I have not needed a form a funnel but i though the design was cool, perhaps it might be helpful for keeping oil off the cross-member of your van when changing the filter.

BTW, what oil did you use?

We've owned the same gen Accord, and I found nothing difficult about oil changes on it.
You probably could cut yourself on the edges of an exhaust heat shield, but it was pretty easy not to.
Been there, done that, got the tee shirt and didn't find the experience particularly difficult.
I don't know how much work you've done on cars over the years, but a Honda LOF job cannot be considered hard.

Originally Posted By: Falken
Changing ALL the fluids on the Honda Fit is every DIYer's dream... Honda is a great mfgr.

I don't agree with you. Changing oil & filter& ATF ... in an MB engine is much easier than any other makes, provided that you have a fluid extractor.

Every time I change oil & filter in my E430 I cursed other manufactures(Honda included) for not implementing the oil & filter the MB way. I can change oil & filter with dress cloth without ever get under the car.

BMW used too be very easy too, similar to MB but they changed the last few model years. Audi is probably similar to MB but they eliminated the dipstick, only the tube.

Last edited:
HTSS, I am serious... The Fit is just nuts, at least the 2010.

I can do the Oil, ATF, and tires like nothing.

Hundreds saved for miniscule trouble.

BM and Merc used to be easy? If anything is easier then a GE8 Fit I'll pass out. Dead easy.

Originally Posted By: Falken
HTSS, I am serious... The Fit is just nuts, at least the 2010.

I can do the Oil, ATF, and tires like nothing.

Hundreds saved for miniscule trouble.

BM and Merc used to be easy? If anything is easier then a GE8 Fit I'll pass out. Dead easy.

As I said, doing oil and filter in 2000 MB E430 is so easy I can do it with dress cloth. The oil can be extracted with Mityvac 7201 fluid extractor, the cartridge oil filter is on top of the engine and can be removed without a drop of oil on the engine.

Honda S2000 oil&filter can be done while standing up, but not as easy as an MB.

If changing oil&filter requires you to get under the vehicle then it isn't easy.

Ever since I bought one of these:

I have never dropped a drain plug into the bucket.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Tegger
Originally Posted By: garlicbreadman

That's what I do on our cars, and is what I did on my 415,000mi Integra, for the very same reason.

I discovered that letting the engine sit overnight yielded an additional cup of oil over what I got if I drained the oil with the engine hot. That must be the residual oil that gets hung up in the bearings, etc., and has no time to drain when the engine is hot before the plug goes back in.

I'm sure it's true that draining the oil hot may remove more of the solids that tend to settle-out onto the bottom of the pan overnight, but if you change the oil frequently enough, those contaminants are going to be suspended in the oil in the first place -- which is the oil's job...

Way more benefits doing a cold change than hot! Wish i had discovered this years earlier, would have saved a few rolls of paper towels lol

Originally Posted By: Tegger

I have done a cold change a few times, as i was pressed for time. I noticed almost a 1/2 quart extra drained out of the 01 escape v-6 i previously owned.

I think for an engine thats always been maintained with decent oil, that would not be a problem. not sure i'd do it with a car of unknown previous history.

Last edited:
I can't help but laugh maniacally when somebody mentions changing cartridge filter which is filthy disgusting soaking black mess. The only thing more disgusting would be to put your hand inside the clogged toilet trap :)

HTSS, I see your point...

I remember the filter on my Cobalt up top...

Now if I knew about the mightyvac back then yes you are right.

The Cobalt sadly had no ATF dipstick to vac from... and had to be level to weep hole fill it, PITA on that one...

On the Fit the ATF is easier to change than the oil... Honda got that little car right in my books.

The problem is once you do an oil change on a BMW or a Mercedes your expectations are set and every car is now a PITA to change the oil on.

Solution! Drop it off at the dealer.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back