OCI for Spark 1.4 M1 EP/UPF64R

Chevy Spark 1.4 NA which right now is driven 100% highway, 75 miles each way 7x a week. I bought some M1 0w20 EP, and sadly the car requires the UPF64R due to the 35 PSI rating that is required rather than the 22psi rating literally every other filter that fits the car (PF64 based filters) so I'm stuck with that filter. I know there has been question if the filter media can meet the 35psi rating anyway....but I guess I should just go with the UPF64R regardless due to it being the only filter rated for that. Got a few coming from Rock Auto.

I've seen some posts that the UPF64R has gone down hill in quality a lot over the years. Not that it's a *bad* filter, just maybe not a top tier anymore it seems like.

Here's what I'm thinking. All long highway trips, I dont see why I cant go 20k on the oil, and change the filter at 10k max, and then the oil will be "freshened up" a little with what oil I replace that I lost in the filter change. I drive slow too, usually like 55-60mph to save gas. RPMs are usually at like 2k. Drive it easy for MPG when accelerating.

I know I should get a UOA, but I think my plan is pretty good, right?

My main question is how long should I go on the UPF64R? It would be nice to get 10k out of it that way I could change it half way and change it again with all new oil.

Maybe it doesn't t matter, but I dont love the idea of leaving a dirty/older filter on and putting in all new oil but that could just be a mental thing. AC Delco says its 98% efficient at 25-30 microns, has 5x burst strength and has a "thermosetting adhesive seal to keep filtering media in place for dependable performance" whatever that really means

Advice? Is 10k on a UPF64R Ac Delco Gold Ultraguard fine?

I never used the UPF64R my Malibu called for, I didn't even know it called for it until recently. I had been using PF64 and Mobil 1 113A. Changing to a standard WIX next OIC. I'm at 65k miles on the 1.5T engine.

I got the filters in today....obviously I cant tell crap from the outside but looking at them and the weight of them I really feel like its a decent quality filter that could do 10k no problem. The old filter on the car was a normal PF64 which wasn't surprising (changed at the dealer, wrong filter) and my dad has been probably running anywhere from 6k-10k on normal M1 and the basic PF64. The more I think about it the more I feel ok with running 20k on the M1EP with Delco Ultraguard Gold filters every 10k. 100% highway with long trips every single time, usually running at 2k RPM the entire trip.

I never used the UPF64R my Malibu called for, I didn't even know it called for it until recently. I had been using PF64 and Mobil 1 113A. Changing to a standard WIX next OIC. I'm at 65k miles on the 1.5T engine.
Well that's good but curious minds would like to know what is your cars Oil consumption?

You chose a great oil and the filter should be fine for long oil drains if the engines internals are clean to start with. Be sure to monitor the oil levels often, and perhaps a check under the engine every 5-8 K for leaks.

All plans are good until an engine blows up, sludges, or turns into an oil burner. Plans are even better when VVT screens clog up, solenoids varnish up, and hard parts wear out.

I would change the oil/filter together every 10k miles. I would not let bypass filter PSI determine what filter to use...meaning I would use any aftermarket full synthetic media oil filters that will thread on, with any full synthetic compatible oil/grade.

If you want extended oil change intervals, consider adding a Frantz.

If you want extended oil change intervals, a UOA with TBN/TAN/nitration/oxidation with a VOA baseline is a must. I'd even consider particle counts, accurate fuel dilution, .... meaning not the 'common' overly used lab that many pick here.

What is the oil sump capacity? year vehicle? HP rating? ....

Fram released the XG12060 for this application buttttt it only has a 19-25psi bypass rating so it really isn't sufficient if the 35psi bypass is really needed.

Ive been running the XG12060 on my Spark for a couple weeks already, so far so good. TBH, i dont think there will ever be an issue and i definitely feel like the XG is of way higher quality than the OE one.

im no mechanic at all but ive never bought into not changing out a filter with an oil change; i learned l.o.f.

looking at o.p.’s driving style, total cost and engine viability, why not go with, say, a cheaper yet effective walmart supertech d1g2 synthetic oil and filter change interval at 10k miles, vice stretching it to 20k with more costly m1 and a swapped filter? perhaps heretical, but with a st d1g2 and filter 10k easy highway mile oci, would an oil analysis even be necessary?

would love to read a separate review of chevy spark by o.p.

Last edited:
There is a TSB for these small Chevy engines stating they could go into bypass on cold start without the higher bypass pressure filters. So yes, in that case the bypass rating does matter.

Back