OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was able to fix brake line today on my final attempt. There was just enough left of good solid line all the way up behind the seats.
I also started tackling the only rotten area of the car: the rear bumper. I removed it with no tools at all. Will be fabricating something from leftover inner bumper parts from a 84 CV we used to have.
Every time I run the engine, it sounds better and better. After a while, I'll drain the current oil and use it for top-offs or something. I've ordered: front brake hoses and pads, rear shoes and cylinders, blower motor, steering stabilizer end links, hoses, and fuel pump.

@55,042- changed oil + filter on Granada and patched yet another part of the exhaust. It also passed its state safety and emissions inspections. Used 1qt 10w-40, 1qt 20w-50, and 3 qts XD30w + Pro-Tec filter.

Riviera- replaced left rear brake line and bled system with my power bleeder. All brakes, including E-brake now working 100%. Hope to get a lot more done this weekend.
smile.gif

Riviera: changed spark plugs, heater hoses, trans fluid, gear oil, PS fluid, fuel pump, stabilizer links, and blower motor which still doesn't work.
frown.gif

Last edited:
Just curious...did you do a UOA on the Granada oil?

Just wondering if you were going to continue monitoring the engine, or just let 'er run....

I did send a sample out for UOA this change on Granada. Won't likely be doing more on that car unless I'm still driving it next winter. After all, the info learned will possibly help me to do better on my future beaters and current classics.
Applied for Antique registration on the Chrysler today, hopefully it passes.

Loaned out the Granada today to someone who needed me to change a starter on their car while they were at work.
Their review: "Thank God I don't have to drive that car anymore than today. I kept checking the mirror for falling parts. It makes so much noise that people are looking before it's in their sight."
My reply: "At least it starts."
wink.gif

Will likely be doing a timing chain on the Riviera as it backfires under load, but does it less without distributor vacuum connected.

Granada @ 55.5k- I'm on vacation so it just sits this week.
smile.gif

Riviera: Changed out water pump and fan clutch this afternoon. housing had either a crack or corrosion through it on left side. I'm thinking more a corroded crack from poor tightening by previous installer. Also did a coolant flush to get most of that 15 year old goo out of there and replaced the rest of the hoses.
Some of todays' wrenching.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.345730258818276.78889.100001439153868&type=1

Originally Posted By: SS1970chrysler
Next step is to pull the valve covers to check for bent/broken valve springs.

I cant wait to hear updates on how it runs when you start using it for work,etc.
grin.gif

Would LOVE to see valve train pics!!!!

Originally Posted By: addyguy

Would LOVE to see valve train pics!!!!

Check the linky couple posts up. Just added 2 pics of "as found" valvetrain. There were large pieces of a previous cork gasket stuck in the drain holes and valvespring/rocker arm of cylinders 6 & 8. New gaskets in place and covers back on, so now I go for a "spirited" test drive.
wink.gif

Also, my Chrysler was approved for "antique" registration so it will no longer be "actively" used. It has served me very well for a long time.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Doesn't look too bad, no sludge to speak of, but I'd be really worried about the drain-holes being blocked by gasket material. Who knows how long it's been like that, might have been starving the valvetrain for a while.

Good luck!

I bought this one primarily just as backup, affordable to run backup.
wink.gif
I had tons of engine parts left over from my last 2 '73 Buicks and a 72. All had the same engine, just varying minor differences. This was one of the few that I could get into with little $ risked.
All rocker arms had oil to them, just limited draining. Only seemed to matter if car was parked facing uphill. The car's actually quite peppy, but not as powerful or good handling as my '73 had. All in all, still a very driveable car with good roadability.

I took the Riv to work last night. Didn't have any issues other than none of the little vacuum doors in the heater box work properly. I'll putz with that another time. Filled it up before leaving and filled upon return. Averaged a combined 16mpg tentatively, so it's right in the middle between Granada and the Chrysler as I figured. I'll dump the oil in about 1k to get any floating gasket pieces out that I may have missed/knocked loose. I'll be running it once a week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back