OCI and oil for new (to me) driving style

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you folks are truly interested in how my old(doesn't seem so to me) car does, I'll update this with some info occasionally. I've put the thread on "watch" so I should be able to find it later. They vanish from the front quickly here.
At 37k miles, I replaced calipers, pads, rotors, shoes, front brake hoses, 2 rear hard lines, fuel level sending unit float, all 4 tires, all filters, pcv valve, complete tuneup, both radiator hoses, both belts, all 4 shocks, strut rod bushings, and steering coupler disk.
I've since adjusted idle and mixture to better handle today's fuel blends and changed out the coolant+replaced battery and terminals. Car is equipped with no options and only modification is my under-dash 8-track player.

Let's motorvate!

Link to my "fleet"

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=...d08b&type=1

Last edited:
At 2k into the Granada odyssey(41k now), only casualty is one of the OE headlights last night.
I've removed about 50 lbs of tools from the trunk and lowered weekly operating costs from $65 to $58.
I've been using a hand click-counter and found that just as many people pass me when I'm doing 60mph or 65mph so I'm sticking with the 60mph that my car likes. At faster speeds against the wind, I've found the PCV sucks in oil on long hills.
I had previously leaned the mixture 1/4 turn and now have richened it by 1/8 turn which seems to have corrected that.

This is really awesome to hear progress on.

I've always dreamed about using really old, 1970's cars as daily drivers, and just keeping on top of stuff with them.

When I was younger, everyone I talked to told me what a dumb idea this was, and now I don't have the money or time to get into collector cars. One of the big regrets in my life!

Originally Posted By: addyguy
This is really awesome to hear progress on.

I've always dreamed about using really old, 1970's cars as daily drivers, and just keeping on top of stuff with them.

When I was younger, everyone I talked to told me what a dumb idea this was, and now I don't have the money or time to get into collector cars. One of the big regrets in my life!

What I can tell you is late 70's-early 80's aren't that time and $ consuming as others. They also have just enough technical improvements to make regular driving in today's times possible, without getting over complicated. The tough part is having room for them for some folks. One thing to consider is be careful with the purpose-built cars of the era unless they match your purpose.
smile.gif

My sample/test kit arrived from Blackstone today and I have a few ?'s. I will list results here in this thread after I get them.
Should I get any of the "options" or just the standard?
At what mileage interval should I get it done? (as in run 5k, or 4k as a baseline)

SS1970Chrysler,
This is a very interesting post to say the least and I don't know how I missed it for the whole month of August!

Your '78 Granada sounds like it's in very good shape and that you have put in lot of important replacement parts to keep this car running well. Good luck my friend!

I don't know that I would have the nerve to drive the everyday round trip that you are going to do. But, is seem as though you know your car well and are ready for anything.
smile.gif

Should you break down on the road during you commute, do you have a modern cell phone? LOL! Just kidding, I wish you well in your new job.

I had a '73 New Port Custome w/400cid and Tq Flt 727 and I drove this beast everywhere till 1988 and then sold it for a grand.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Char Baby
SS1970Chrysler,
This is a very interesting post to say the least and I don't know how I missed it for the whole month of August!

Your '78 Granada sounds like it's in very good shape and that you have put in lot of important replacement parts to keep this car running well. Good luck my friend!

I don't know that I would have the nerve to drive the everyday round trip that you are going to do. But, is seem as though you know your car well and are ready for anything.
smile.gif

Should you break down on the road during you commute, do you have a modern cell phone? LOL! Just kidding, I wish you well in your new job.

I had a '73 New Port Custome w/400cid and Tq Flt 727 and I drove this beast everywhere till 1988 and then sold it for a grand.

Thanks. BTW: I do have a cell phone and a Road service towing plan.
smile.gif
I've been on the job for 3 weeks now and have put nearly a year's worth of my previous driving on the Granada by this time.
I'd love to use my 70 Newport Custom, but compared to what's available it would be a needless waste. Costs 50% more to run the Chrysler each day. Roughly $8 more or $40 weekly.

Oh yeah, my New Port got terrable MPG, IIRC, ~11-12MPG. When the gas gague stopped working, I'd just use the trip odometer and got to ~150 miles and put in $20.00 and stop.

This 400 cid engine was one of the torquiest engines that I ever owned and it breathed really well. Then one day it didn't start and run well and I never did figure it out. All of the tuning and tweeks never helped and she was never the same. It was as though there was a timer on the engine life. It was probably more carb related than anything else. Sad, as I really liked this car.

2,200 miles into the Granada's odyssey:
Had some surging at cruising speeds, so I replaced the original fuel pump with a Bosch I got on a closeout deal. Took 10 minutes.
smile.gif
I'll run it one more day and change filter if it continues. Also added 1/2 qt oil as it was down some. The car only leaks as the oil thins from use. You never see a drop till over 2k on oil.

Now at 42k(2800m on OCI), have added total of 1 qt. Have had no troubles even in the continuous driving rains here the last 2 weeks.
No flood damage here as usual, but it does surround me within a mile either direction. Location= Pittston, PA

I'm thinking I'll give the car some TLC this weekend as I can't really go anywhere due to flooding. Ideally, I'd like to replace the valve cover gasket. I bought one 4 or 5 years ago so it should be around here somewhere.

set

Found my gasket,so I changed it out. Old one was completely hardened and cracked through in several places.
Took this photo before any cleaning, but after scraping gasket surface. Used a shop vac on it afterwards. 33 years and still clean and no sludging.
smile.gif

3500 miles gone and oil consumption is just about nil since changing the gasket. Can still see through the oil on the stick, but smell is starting to change.(at 42.9k now)

4100 miles gone(43.5K now) and weekly MPG average has slipped 0.5 to 1 mpg per week. Can still see through oil on stick, but can feel particulates in it now. Will probably change it, do a grease job, as well as tighten the alternator belts on the car this weekend and take advantage of the good weather.

This has been a fun thread. It's hard for me to think of a '78 as "old" though.

I drove a 160K mile '69 Land Rover all around the country, once hauling or towing everything I owned at the time (very Beverly Hillbillies). Not a problem. Years before that, I bought a '40 Chrysler Windsor from the original owner in Virginia. Did a little tuning and servicing, installed a couple of tires and drove it to California... slowly, of course.

It's all about Zen. Old Car Zen. You just have to attune yourself to the car... listen, smell and feel... tend to it's needs carefully and immediately and don't expect modern performance. With the Chrysler, I stayed off the interstates for the most part because it didn't like speeds much above 60. Used only a quart of oil on the trip, too. Not a lick of trouble except with the vacuum wipers. Took the vacuum motor into my motel room, dismantled and cleaned it... no more trouble. On eof the best trips of my life.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back