NTSB urges Mandate to Limit the Speed of new Vehicles to the Posted Speed limit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sure, you could not speed. You could also not ever smoke a cigarette. After all, second hand smoke is dangerous for the people around you. You could always avoid dangerous hobbies like hunting or riding ATVs. Don't go downtown after dark. Don't swim when you go to the beach because there are riptides. There's a list of things a mile long that people could just not do that would improve odds of safety and wellbeing for themselves and others. Where do you draw the line?

At some point you have to allow people to have personal freedom, because that's what this nation was originally founded upon, and just punish those who get into trouble on an individual basis. The idea of controlling people with a giant blanket, that's a dangerous path to go down and it's the antithesis of freedom.

And let's not forget that driving a car above 55 MPH isn't always a choice. Sometimes there's necessity involved. The examples are numerous.

Is there a individual, right now working at Tesla that has the ability, soley on his own action, with or without authorization, that can immediately immobilize any Tesla in the USA?
It wouldn't surprise me.
I think his name is Elon and he has an app for that? Just kidding... But you probably know my cellphone app tells me where the car is right now. I can remotely lock and unlock, and start the car for another driver who does not have authorization. So the ability to remotely disable the car is probably 2 lines of code....

This doesnt force anything on your personal freedom, nothing is being forced on you. It limits a product a manufacturer can sell to the public, nothing more.

Oh yeah, the passive aggressive method.

Nobody forced the jabs, right? People just lost their jobs if they didn't get it.
The first Siberian gulags were the same. Nobody was forced to stay there. They could leave anytime they liked and walk hundreds of kilometers across frozen tundra to the nearest civilization.
Do you think Jews were forced into the gas chambers? No, they walked in freely believing they were showers.

Good thing you're playing the devil's advocate ;)

Would I rather deal with a drunk driver going the speed limit or some sober yahoo doing 100 mph. It's situation dependent.
Agreed, which incudes the fact that someone going 100 doesn't automatically = unsafe. If posted limit is 80 and they are passing at 100 on an interstate, the argument can perhaps be made that they are excessively speeding but not necessarily dangerously speeding.

I admit to being concerned about this concept of mandatory limits enforced with "in-car" tech.

But ...

I recall the US national maximum speed limit in the 1970s; wasn't popular. Eventually it was modified to allow higher speeds after a decade, then abolished thereafter in 1995.

At some point, people simply will only accept so much intrusion into their lives, and then things change. Remember the 18th Amendment? Usurped by the 21st Amendment. The regulations/laws for this in-car tech may pass, and the vehicles may be made, but I predict it will be undone shortly thereafter. Back in the day, during that 55mph NMSL period, it was estimated that 87% of people violated the law. The reason people didn't cry foul earlier is because there wasn't any nanny-tech in the cars to enforce the limit. The reality is back then, it was easy to break the law, and so few complained about the little white sign on the side of the road. But, if we get these cars which simply will not exceed the posted limit, the backlash will be IMMEDIATE and the anarchy will ensure quickly. People will be looking for every way possible to defeat the systems, and those who enacted the laws will probably feel the heat to reverse the stupidity.

Freedom is limited only by the willingness to be constrained.

I thought this is significant enough news to start a new thread.
The technology is here, Heck I bet every EV on the market can be speed limited. I will go further and bet Tesla can to it with an other the air update.
Only makes sense. The new EVs are massively powerful, compact cars with 300+ horsepower, crazy acceleration times.

It may take decades or maybe a decade but I think it will happen simply because no one can come up with a reason why it shouldn't.
Wow, just think of all the lives saved. Im not a person who likes all this stuff limiting our so called freedoms but I have thrown in the towel on that *LOL* So bring it on. Yes, its ok to flame me, its not like I am a proponent but I read these crazy stories and even threads in here about the crazy speed and acceleration times and well, Im not so sure one can make an argument against it. I mean, the speed limit is the limit, right?

With that said, this is not EV specific so I posted it here. It's about all vehicles.

___
It's just control for the sake of control.
Somehow the human race managed to survive without artificial speed limiters in cars.

The other side of the coin is that cars are no more and no less than a part of the common national transportation system that we all share.
In light of that, it's hard to make a case for restricting the speed road vehicles are capable of as a restriction on individual rights or freedom.
Private roads are a different deal, and if you wanna get your ya yas in a car, most any track offers days when you can do so, and there are drag strips everywhere as well.
There have been too many nutsos driving too many cars too fast for something like automatic top speed limiting not to happen. If they were the only victims of their foolishness then one might just shrug, but not when they take others merely trying to go about their days with them.

I know; too bad my local and national class wins in CCA autocross events don’t count.
Do you teach anything other than to treat 1984 as a how-to manual?
I was a professional driver for more than 30 years on the public highway and never had a chargeable accident. Not some weekend warrior who thinks he knows anything about driving.

I was a professional driver for more than 30 years on the public highway and never had a chargeable accident. Not some weekend warrior who thinks he knows anything about driving.
Just when I think that your responses can’t get even more hysterical you manage to top yourself.
Well done- and very “professional.”

Having a cdl and being a truck driver doesn't make you a professional driver.

Having a cdl and being a truck driver doesn't make you a professional driver.
Au contraire; I knew he sounded familiar...
1701399515088.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Pew
my mom's driven for 30 years without an accident that she caused (she was rear ended twice) she doesn't have any certifications

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back