Now I understand filter wipe-downs (Purolator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
As I've said before, too, it's unfortunate, because I loved the idea of a high efficiency Bosch Premium for under $5. But, if they don't want to sell them in Canada and can't keep them in one piece, no problem. I've used Wix for decades and will keep with them. Hastings is far superior, too.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: Mrsandman
So take off your sheep suits and abide by what you can determin for yourselves.

What's been determined by the majority of filter buyers here is that tearing media and paint over spray inside oil filters is something they don't want to buy and use.

I think the filter should live up to all the manufacturers claims. If not they should give you another no questions asked.

One single tear in a Motorcraft filter has caused me to clean up my own habits first. The next issue is on the ones who made it and sold it.

I do not think we should put up with poor quality.

Originally Posted By: Garak
As I've said before, too, it's unfortunate, because I loved the idea of a high efficiency Bosch Premium for under $5. But, if they don't want to sell them in Canada and can't keep them in one piece, no problem. I've used Wix for decades and will keep with them. Hastings is far superior, too.

I will give up efficiency to get one that does not fall apart. If it is priced right at the local parts store, I will do an inspection in the store before purchase. I wish Hastings was more readily available here also. I may want to spend a bit more to get the quality.

If you want to use a poorly made filter thats your business.. but i wouldnt. Anything seems better than a puro..ive never seen a fram looking that poor and having tears like the puro's..and its not a one off...whoever thinks it is should do some research on this very site.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
I will give up efficiency to get one that does not fall apart.

Exactly. The 99.9% Bosch Premium efficiency, or whatever it was, doesn't mean much with a big tear in the media.

Your memory is correct. But I do not remember them publishing the particle size. In any event when a tear occurs, the filter would start giving up dirt that was previously trapped. Down stream particle count would be higher than upstream particle count for a time and then approach the same until the filter is changed. Most people would be clueless about it unless they cut filters and look.

Originally Posted By: WellOiled
Your memory is correct. But I do not remember them publishing the particle size.

@ 40 microns. Look on the side of the box, it might show it there.

Originally Posted By: Triton_330
Lol, go stick o sock in it ,garak

Garak is one of the most trustworthy and respectable members here. And the majority crowd knows that. You should be careful with who you insult because your rep will suffer.

~ Triton

Oh my, you mean i might not het to be popular on bitog?!! How will i sleep at night knowimg it?

I do. That's why there's Wix on my vehicles. I don't need Fram's inflated prices thanks to inflated marketing, nor do I need Purolator's inability to build a filter with more structural integrity than a stale cookie and their lack of logistical skills.

Thats good to know.

I do. That's why there's Wix on my vehicles. I don't need Fram's inflated prices thanks to inflated marketing, nor do I need Purolator's inability to build a filter with more structural integrity than a stale cookie and their lack of logistical skills.

Thats good to know.

Before you came along I did not know what a troll was. So, I looked it up. You do meet the definition of a troll.

Please forgive me for asking, but I'm having a hard time reading between the lines with all the sarcasm an inside jokes floating around. I grew up believing that Fram filters were garbage and Purolator were good. Now I'm getting that Fram ultras are one of the best and Purolator has tearing issues. Am I understanding this correctly? I'd like to pick a single brand that I can get right around the corner to use on my 04 dodge cummins, 13 Nissan 2.5l, and 04 4.3l Volvo Penta marine. I'm assuming that Fram ultra is the filter to use if I can let go of Frams old reputation?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: monster1
Please forgive me for asking, but I'm having a hard time reading between the lines with all the sarcasm an inside jokes floating around. I grew up believing that Fram filters were garbage and Purolator were good. Now I'm getting that Fram ultras are one of the best and Purolator has tearing issues. Am I understanding this correctly? I'd like to pick a single brand that I can get right around the corner to use on my 04 dodge cummins, 13 Nissan 2.5l, and 04 4.3l Volvo Penta marine. I'm assuming that Fram ultra is the filter to use if I can let go of Frams old reputation?

Yes Fram Ultras are excellent. They have the highest efficiency and holding capacity you can find. The tough guard isn't bad either if you aren't afraid of fiber end caps, which you shouldn't be.

Purolator Classics and PureOnes were exhibiting lots of failures which is why they probably just changed their lineup with the new paint job and synthetic media boss, as far as we we haven't seen a used one of those cut open so we don't know if they have the same issues as the white and yellow ones.

It's not quite that black and white. Purolator has changed their design, so we just don't know yet if their new filters are good yet, but as far as Fram goes most people stick to the Ultra or Toughguard. Chances are you will be perfectly fine with either brand.

If you cut open a filter and find a defect more than once it causes you to rethink your filter choice.

Purolator was having some issues with tearing media with a couple of their filter lines. The classics and the p1s actually. It was never nearly as bad as its portrayed but was a problem. Their full synthetic filter and the bosch distance plus were never problematic.
They have new line ups now that are starting to be put on some shelves.
Most likley they have reastablished total superiority over anything made by fram.
Fram makes one good filter only and that's the ultra. Anything else made by fram is junk and should be avoided. Fram has earned the reputatuon you grew up being taught. My advise is use wix /napa gold or motorcraft, mopar or somthing for now until we know for sure that purolator is fixed.

Purolator was having some issues with tearing media with a couple of their filter lines. The classics and the p1s actually. It was never nearly as bad as its portrayed but was a problem. Their full synthetic filter and the bosch distance plus were never problematic.
They have new line ups now that are starting to be put on some shelves.
Most likley they have reastablished total superiority over anything made by fram.
Fram makes one good filter only and that's the ultra. Anything else made by fram is junk and should be avoided. Fram has earned the reputatuon you grew up being taught. My advise is use wix /napa gold or motorcraft, mopar or somthing for now until we know for sure that purolator is fixed.

The truth is, Motorcraft filters are made by Purolator. The first filter I cut open was a Motorcraft and it had a nice tear in the media near the splice. So, Motorcraft filters are not immune from this issue.

Thanks for the clarification. Actually, I realized that I've got an orielys around the corner from me and they carry wix filters. I should have all my filter needs meet with that brand.

Last edited:

Production quality has changed over time. Fram TG and Fram Ultra have good reputations and would serve you well for Fram recommended change intervals.

The same can be said for Wix branded filters and the NAPA Gold line.

YMMV for filters made by Wix but not Wix brand.

I believe recent eCore filters are now good but there is a huge bias against eCores.

I recently cut open a Firestone eCore that looked very good compared to the torn Motorcraft.

eCores are made by Champion Labs under many different brands.

I would avoid Purolator and filters made by Purolator until you start seeing good feedback. Give them another 6 months or so.

Hope this helps.

Yes, with the exception being your Cummins.

Difference is in price. An LF9028 (like I use) or Donaldson DBL7349 are twice the price of the Fram Ultra for your truck.

FU is 99% efficient at 20 microns.
DBL7349 is 100% efficient at 20 microns, and 99% at 15 microns.

901Memphis: thank you for the update and info
smile.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back