Now I understand filter wipe-downs (Purolator)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Flaking yellow paint, oversprayed inside of the oil flow area. I don't know if the picture is good enough to show it, but there are yellow flakes everywhere.

This came into my possession due to a customer who demanded Purolator Pure One filters. I didn't want to ruin the deal by asking if he goes by jk_636 on a website called BITOG.

After having this filter hand-delivered to me so I could email the pics to the customer, he demanded I still use them, on the basis that the filter should catch all of it. I emailed him a waiver of his warranty for him to sign, notarize, and return. He did so, rather than use a different filter.

Two of these are now attached to two brand new engines he paid $17,000 to have installed in his boat. We're starting them tomorrow.
spankme2.gif
57.gif
15.gif
05.gif
37.gif
45.gif

Just Curious, What filter would you have wanted to use and what engine are we talking about??

Just for the record i would not have used that filter either.

Some people just don't know. You think he would think about it after you sent him a waiver... Its pretty bad when you need a waiver for an oil filter... You can't make this stuff up.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
Just Curious, What filter would you have wanted to use and what engine are we talking about??

Just for the record i would not have used that filter either.

Baldwin. Because they're good, and my customers like them.

Engines are twin Chevrolet 383.

Let me give you my general customer opinion breakdown of filters:

Baldwin: "It's red, and did you know they use these in Ferraris?!?!?

Wix: "There's some no-name oil filter on my engine. Don't cheap on the filters."

OEM: "That high-ticket ****?"

Fram Ultra: "It's a FRAM!!!! Those things kill engines!"

NAPA Gold: "That's the good stuff."

P1: "It's yellow! That's real fancy!"

Anything else: See "Wix".

I don't use Frams anymore. I lost a customer who told me to put the "best" filter on his engine and apparently decided I pulled a fast one on him with Fram. That I use them on my own boats has swayed nobody.

My favorite reaction was from when I had a Luberfiner filter put on a diesel engine whose OEM filter was on a 5-day ETA. Customer told me it sounded like a filter "some old codger made in his shed".
crackmeup2.gif

Ignorance is high in the end-user boating community, and it's hard to convince people who "run multi-million dollar companies" that I might know more than they do about "their" property.

Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp
Flaking yellow paint, oversprayed inside of the oil flow area. I don't know if the picture is good enough to show it, but there are yellow flakes everywhere.

This came into my possession due to a customer who demanded Purolator Pure One filters. I didn't want to ruin the deal by asking if he goes by jk_636 on a website called BITOG.

crackmeup2.gif

Ha, great thread. I can understand the Fram and Puro mindset. Both are riding an old reputation that has filtered down to the general public. Your reputation is only as good as what you made 10 years ago.

I got rid of the puke colored Purolator filters years before the torn media problems. Good thing you enlightened your "customer."

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: DoubleWasp

crackmeup2.gif

Pretty sure jk636 is now our beloved mrsandman.

I called him out on it a while back and he said something like "no I am not jk636 or whatever.."

If you look at his profile, he is friends with jk636. How can you forget the username of a friend? Especially if you are someone as tech savvy and intelligent as the mrsandman?

Sad reality.
I deal with the same issues on guns and parts.
Now entering my fourth decade I just keep my mouth shut.

A torrent of advertising (I assume) planted hearty seeds regarding the PureOne yellow filters.

In northern New York these filters were ALL THE RAGE. The "unprecedented efficiency" was on everybody's lips. The grippy paint job was always mentioned secondarily.

People need something to stand for. Kira

Does that little bit of paint overspray really bother you that much? You don't honestly think thats going to hurt anything do you?

[censored]

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: racin4ds
Does that little bit of paint overspray really bother you that much? You don't honestly think thats going to hurt anything do you?

+1

I wouldn't use that filter. It doesn't even look new...Poor quality on the outside.. I say poor quality on the inside..

Originally Posted By: wemay
Originally Posted By: racin4ds

+1

Would you really put $17k of your hard earned money on the line for a $5 filter with paint flakes going everywhere?

As long as the overspray is all on the intake side of the filter, I'd just clean off as much as I could and not worry too much. I doubt any of the bits are small enough to make it through the filter.

I'd be more worried about tearing under the sustained high rpm / high oil flow conditions marine use leads to than anything else.

The customer is NOT always right.

But in this case, I don't think its going to frag a smallblock chevy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back