Bosch Premium 3323 oil filter is poor quality

Folks:

I only very rarely buy commonly available oil filters over the internet, but I did this time. I ordered 4 Bosch Premium 3323 for our Honda Element from the Bosch Store on Amazon. I was going to short run them at 3,333 mile intervals because I was going to try that new Valvoline Restore and Protect oil in our perfectly running 250K mile 2010 Honda Element SC - which I trust enough to head out cross in country in it tomorrow morning.

But I digress. Not only did I not get what I wanted (I ordered the "Filtech" versions), look at the horrible cleanliness of manufacture and condition of packaging on these things. COO was Mexico.

All those little specks you see are metal flakes from thread cutting, drilling, whatever. The entire throat and halfway inside the bore, there are metal flakes everywhere. Notice too the stiff wire that's jammed under the anti-drain back valve. Notice the flake of metal in the baseplate hole next to the diaphragm (second picture, 12 o'clock position).

In a way it's a good reminder. I usually buy the Honda filters at a brick and mortar store. I always inspect the filters before purchase. I've put filters back on the shelf that I didn't like. I'm going to send these back.

Scott
1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg
5.jpeg

Walmart sells Honda OEM oil filters, but also keep in mind a lot of Honda filters are made by FRAM and share a TG/PH design, I personally would go with the TG.

Bosch has had many problems lately from closed louvers, bad glue, etc. Hard to tell on those pictures but it also looks like closed louvers on those as well.

Mann&Hummel and/or Bosch, made the decision to move Bosch Premium production/coo to Mexico from the US. I'd say that happened at least a year ago now. The shown baseplate easily identifies the topic from the US made BP. Unlike the US made BP, the Mexican made have shown up with shoddy quality, ugly pleating, inconsistent louver openings, etc. And not limited to Amazon sourcing, Rock Auto the same.

I know about the US made Bosch Premium 3323, because I stashed some when RA had a low price and were still made in US. As a search would reveal. I've posted many post use BP3323 c&ps, most Honda use. All have been consistently solid looking. So my conclusion, in this case it is about coo, this just another example. While I would recommend the US made BP, I can't recommend the current made in Mexico BP. Just installed another US made 3323 last week, replacing same. C&P will be coming.

Yeah, I'd send the topic BP back too, knowing it's on M&H and/or Bosch. Not Amazon.

Mann&Hummel and/or Bosch, made the decision to move Bosch Premium production/coo to Mexico from the US. I'd say that happened at least a year ago now. The shown baseplate easily identifies the topic from the US made BP. Unlike the US made BP, the Mexican made have shown up with shoddy quality, ugly pleating, inconsistent louver openings, etc. And not limited to Amazon sourcing, Rock Auto the same.

I know about the US made Bosch Premium 3323, because I stashed some when RA had a low price and were still made in US. As a search would reveal. I've posted many post use BP3323 c&ps, most Honda use. All have been consistently solid looking. So my conclusion, in this case it is about coo, this just another example. While I would recommend the US made BP, I can't recommend the current made in Mexico BP. Just installed another US made 3323 last week, replacing same. C&P will be coming.

Yeah, I'd send the topic BP back too, knowing it's on M&H and/or Bosch. Not Amazon.
+1
I purchased 4 of the 3323's from RA a few years ago when we got our Honda.
Been running them without issue and I'm down to my last two.
Upon a close inspection of the remaining 2 last night, I wasn't able to find anything suspicious/strange...seem as stout and reliable as anything else I've used.

Folks:

I only very rarely buy commonly available oil filters over the internet, but I did this time. I ordered 4 Bosch Premium 3323 for our Honda Element from the Bosch Store on Amazon. I was going to short run them at 3,333 mile intervals because I was going to try that new Valvoline Restore and Protect oil in our perfectly running 250K mile 2010 Honda Element SC - which I trust enough to head out cross in country in it tomorrow morning.

But I digress. Not only did I not get what I wanted (I ordered the "Filtech" versions), look at the horrible cleanliness of manufacture and condition of packaging on these things. COO was Mexico.

All those little specks you see are metal flakes from thread cutting, drilling, whatever. The entire throat and halfway inside the bore, there are metal flakes everywhere. Notice too the stiff wire that's jammed under the anti-drain back valve. Notice the flake of metal in the baseplate hole next to the diaphragm (second picture, 12 o'clock position).

In a way it's a good reminder. I usually buy the Honda filters at a brick and mortar store. I always inspect the filters before purchase. I've put filters back on the shelf that I didn't like. I'm going to send these back.

ScottView attachment 200134View attachment 200135View attachment 200136View attachment 200137View attachment 200138
I agree with you sending them back, both the filters and packaging look terrible. I've found that retail and auto parts stores carry a lot of good choices and price ranges plus the opportunity to inspect the product before buying.

I hate that we have to scrutinize products so closely now just to ensure we don't get defects. I have a conspiracy theory that a lot of rejects end up in Amazon inventory.

For what it's worth, a recent purchase of the Hengst H97W05 (made in Poland) equivalent from RA came out perfect. Excellent quality filters for the price.

Here is my Bosch Premium 3323 received from Amazon last week 1/26/2024. Upon closer look at the louvers, i saw most louvers not punched through...ie no holes--you can see some holes deeper into the filter but from 1/2 to the exit -- no holes! The item is made in mexico--my guess is that they are running louvers w/ holel punch too fast or the tool is too dull. Very disspointed and initiated return request w/ Amazon--they just gave me full credit and no return was needed.
3323 Magnified.JPG

Here is my Bosch Premium 3323 received from Amazon last week 1/26/2024. Upon closer look at the louvers, i saw most louvers not punched through...ie no holes--you can see some holes deeper into the filter but from 1/2 to the exit -- no holes! The item is made in mexico--my guess is that they are running louvers w/ holel punch too fast or the tool is too dull. Very disspointed and initiated return request w/ Amazon--they just gave me full credit and no return was needed.View attachment 200841
Since you don't need to return it, cut it open and see if the louvers on the other side are open.

Fully agree; Bosch's quality has really dropped of late, as evidenced by what I just found (see video) and what others are saying here and elsewhere. Mine is a defective 3422 filter, one in which I found a poorly molded ADBV that leaked as a result. Yes, it's made in Mexico, but that's not the root cause in my opinion -- it's more reflective of poor management and total lack of quality control. To add insult, after a couple phone calls (couldn't email 'em or they would have gotten pics), it was obvious they weren't too interested in sending me any sort of compensation.

Since they don't stand behind their products, I can no longer patronize them (and I've bought a LOT of Bosch parts over 40+ years). To anyone who still thinks they're the company they were in the past, you've been warned.

Fully agree; Bosch's quality has really dropped of late, as evidenced by what I just found (see video) and what others are saying here and elsewhere. Mine is a defective 3422 filter, one in which I found a poorly molded ADBV that leaked as a result. Yes, it's made in Mexico, but that's not the root cause in my opinion -- it's more reflective of poor management and total lack of quality control. To add insult, after a couple phone calls (couldn't email 'em or they would have gotten pics), it was obvious they weren't too interested in sending me any sort of compensation.

Since they don't stand behind their products, I can no longer patronize them (and I've bought a LOT of Bosch parts over 40+ years). To anyone who still thinks they're the company they were in the past, you've been warned.

Hi M Phillips,
Thank you for sharing the excellent video of the Bosch defect. I've never tried their filters and plan not to. I'll continue on with Fram.

Hi M Phillips,
Thank you for sharing the excellent video of the Bosch defect. I've never tried their filters and plan not to. I'll continue on with Fram.
You are welcome. FWIW, I used Fram for many years without issue, but admittedly was turned off by the videos showing how they were constructed and started using other brands.

Back