Noticed the Titanium info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Job

https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-titanium-oil-filter/

1. They do describe the inlet holes as controlling the flow pattern. Swirls shown swirling. Washes media or something they say.
2. The picture of the Titanium media does show the two ply with screen, and it also says synthetic. Above that it says synthetic blend.
3. Looking at the EG video it is seen Motorking still is at Fram, or back. He makes it clear other Manufs. do not always use 20 microns for the rating.
4. The EG is 95%, the Force is 98%, TG 99% so they are all different media.
5. Good video on the Racing filter.
Just for info from Fram itself. New company owner, new stuff. Maybe has been shown already well here it is once more.
11.gif

Originally Posted by Farnsworth

It was related in another thread that the Force is 99% @ 20 microns while the Tough Guard is something like 98.5% @ 20 microns.

https://www.fram.com/products/consumer-products/oil-filters/fram-titanium-oil-filter/

1. They do describe the inlet holes as controlling the flow pattern. Swirls shown swirling. Washes media or something they say.
2. The picture of the Titanium media does show the two ply with screen, and it also says synthetic. Above that it says synthetic blend.
3. Looking at the EG video it is seen Motorking still is at Fram, or back. He makes it clear other Manufs. do not always use 20 microns for the rating.
Just for info from Fram itself. New company owner, new stuff. Maybe has been shown already well here it is once more.
11.gif

I checked out the Titianium Saturday. Like the new inlet holes and the center tube holes are bigger than all the other brands I picked up - outside of the Napa Gold / Wix.

But I immediately put it back on the shelf, for Advance Auto wanted $14.99 for it. The only fast production 99/20 oil filter I couldn't find was Bosch Premiums. Still want to inspect that one.

Just about everyone now has those tiny center tube holes. That's why I purchased a year's supply of AC Delco Ecores (98@25/30 microns. Good enough until I buy the Golds or Bosch Premiums next year. If the Titanium goes on sale for $9.99 (minus any oil), I'll buy a handful then.

Last edited by a moderator:
MK's video shows the latest filter styles, and the youtube version says Jan 2019. It would be a bit unusual for Trico to fire someone and keep them as technical training manger in a current video.

11.gif

Not sure "washing" or "cleansing" the media is a good idea-once dirt is stuck, it needs to stay there, not possibly make it out during a high delta-p cold start bypass event. It does look like the Ultra has the same media as Titanium, 20,000 mile rated 2 layer synthetic, only thing you're paying extra for is the coating & goofy tapping plate holes!

I am starting a new piggy bank that'll be used on Black Friday Autoparts Store Sales featuring these $15 Fram Titanium oil filters - at much lower prices.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted by bullwinkle

11.gif

Not sure "washing" or "cleansing" the media is a good idea-once dirt is stuck, it needs to stay there, not possibly make it out during a high delta-p cold start bypass event.

Exactly, that's why the whole tear drop hole thing and the supposed "swirling oil patter" is just all marketing.

It does look like the Ultra has the same media as Titanium, 20,000 mile rated 2 layer synthetic, only thing you're paying extra for is the coating & goofy tapping plate holes!

Per the on-line chat I had with Fram, the media is the same between the Ultra and Titanium, and both have the same efficiency and use period ratings.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5454446/

11.gif

Not sure "washing" or "cleansing" the media is a good idea-once dirt is stuck, it needs to stay there, not possibly make it out during a high delta-p cold start bypass event. It does look like the Ultra has the same media as Titanium, 20,000 mile rated 2 layer synthetic, only thing you're paying extra for is the coating & goofy tapping plate holes!

If you get the Fram Titanium oil filter and say Valvoline Advanced full synthetic, Pennzoil Platinum, or Mobil 1 or Castrol Edge 5 qt container and it's $33.99...

It can be either $33 or $35 at Walmart depending if the oil there is on sale at $21.97 or if it's regular price $24.97. Which means it is not actually too bad a price at AAP if gotten in their combo deal.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

11.gif

Not sure "washing" or "cleansing" the media is a good idea-once dirt is stuck, it needs to stay there, not possibly make it out during a high delta-p cold start bypass event.

Exactly, that's why the whole tear drop hole thing and the supposed "swirling oil patter" is just all marketing.

It does look like the Ultra has the same media as Titanium, 20,000 mile rated 2 layer synthetic, only thing you're paying extra for is the coating & goofy tapping plate holes!

Per the on-line chat I had with Fram, the media is the same between the Ultra and Titanium, and both have the same efficiency and use period ratings.

https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/5454446/

The teardrop holes will definitely induce rotation on the outside of the media, maybe this is Trico's answer to a centrifuge? Still not liking the idea, it's going to flow sideways against the pleats. Shame Jay/motorking is at Dayco now, it would have been an interesting question for him.

I wonder if the swirling could make the particle distribution more even across the media?

If not, or if nobody knows, then I may have just created a much better way to market it than cleansing the media, which really makes no sense with the particles having nowhere else to go.

Of course, just flowing to the path of least resistance should somewhat balance the particle distribution, I would think.

Last edited:
The teardrop holes will definitely induce rotation on the outside of the media, maybe this is Trico's answer to a centrifuge? Still not liking the idea, it's going to flow sideways against the pleats. Shame Jay/motorking is at Dayco now, it would have been an interesting question for him.

Even if the teardrop inlet holes induced some "swirling" (which I doubt - been a few discussions why in other threads), the fact that the flow going through the inlet holes will impinge on the ADBV, then change direction quite severely as it travels to the media pleats. So any "swirling" oil will be drastically impacted by major changes in flow direction. By the time it gets to the pleats, there won't be anything different about the flow field from a filter with whatever shaped inlet holes it has.

11.gif

I checked out the Titianium Saturday. Like the new inlet holes and the center tube holes are bigger than all the other brands I picked up - outside of the Napa Gold / Wix.

But I immediately put it back on the shelf, for Advance Auto wanted $14.99 for it. The only fast production 99/20 oil filter I couldn't find was Bosch Premiums. Still want to inspect that one.

Just about everyone now has those tiny center tube holes. That's why I purchased a year's supply of AC Delco Ecores (98@25/30 microns. Good enough until I buy the Golds or Bosch Premiums next year. If the Titanium goes on sale for $9.99 (minus any oil), I'll buy a handful then.

Talk to the manager at Advanced Auto and buy 6/case. I bought my Titanium's for my Hyundai for $10 and some change. Same as Ultra's at Walmart.

Even if the teardrop inlet holes induced some "swirling" (which I doubt - been a few discussions why in other threads), the fact that the flow going through the inlet holes will impinge on the ADBV, then change direction quite severely as it travels to the media pleats. So any "swirling" oil will be drastically impacted by major changes in flow direction. By the time it gets to the pleats, there won't be anything different about the flow field from a filter with whatever shaped inlet holes it has.

Those teardrops mean 110% of nothing, ALL marketing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back