North Caroline cat 4 Irene

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not downplaying the floods & headache of all this, but man oh man, where was the media when Nashville received 25" rain and resultant record flood in May 2010? Almost zero coverage. Nary a blip.

But since this is NY, it's wall to wall coverage about NY. When NY stops talking about NY, we'll get back to regular programming.

for coverage, WBZ.com's live stream out of Boston had a good live news feed with lots of videos.

The earthquake epicenter was 20 miles from my home and Irene did 10x the damage in my state than it did in NY. Yet NY seems to have been shaken to the core from the quake and I think Katrina just re-evolved and hit Manhattan as a cat 5.

And btw Pablo, that massive quake knocked over a cup that had pencils in it. No other damage to speak of at my house
smile.gif

Just some rain and wind. Seen worse everyday thunderstorms- except for the sheer amount of rain. everythingwentbetterthaneveryoneexpected.jpg.

also

1314540124151.jpg

also, niagara falls was cool.

Originally Posted By: Nick R
Just some rain and wind. Seen worse everyday thunderstorms- except for the sheer amount of rain. everythingwentbetterthaneveryoneexpected.jpg.

also

1314540124151.jpg

crackmeup2.gif

also, niagara falls was cool.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Moar.
lolirene.png

crackmeup2.gif

Oh, yeah...that's hilarious...I'll show it to my next door neighbor...just after they rip out the flooring, drywall, insulation and wiring because the storm surge ruined her whole house...

She'll love it...

Oh, wait, I could show it to some of my friends in Vermont, who had roads washed out and houses destroyed by flooding...

Ha

Ha

Ha

the gist of the pics isn't to make light of anyone in the storm's way, it's poking fun of the media [censored] over a Cat 1 storm. Nashville had terrible flooding with 25" of rain in a 36 hour time span, yet no TV time. None. People here had the same labor-intesive fate your neighbor's have.

This was primarily a huge rainmaker and headache maker. A true hurricane, a Cat 3 or 4 hitting NY, would have been calamitous, I hope I never see it, ever.

I don't dispute that the media was all over Irene and spent their time hyping the landfall up north, but the forecasting was off, so their coverage was off. As a Navy guy, I had friends in Nashville, and the base at Millington, TN was devastated by the flooding. So, I understand the frustration with media hype and what is ignored.

Frankly, they spent all their time talking about New York as we were getting hammered in North Carolina and Virginia. CNN was in fact, the worst, they spent all their coverage on what might happen to New York City, while ignoring what was happening here. But that's CNN...why pay attention to millions of southern conservatives getting hurt when you could show millions of Northern liberals who are frightened....

Irene was a Hurricane that made landfall here and while the winds were Cat I, the storm was huge with a broad area of impact. In fact, I have family in Vermont (I used to live there...) and at least they are getting that right...

My issue with the the above cartoons is that they downplay the storm itself, not the media. They make fun of the storm and the impact of the storm. Look at the captions, they talk only about Irene damage. I've got no problem targeting the media mistakes.

But, in light of the 40 people who lost their lives, the thousands who lost their homes and the billions in damage, the cartoons are frankly, stupid.

Last edited:
About 750,000 homes in the greater Baltimore area without power due to Irene. The number is down to half that now, but BGE (local power company) claims it could be a week or so before everybody back on power. That sucks, but at least the temperatures and humidity have been moderate so you can get by comfortably without A/C.

I had recently service my generator, so I was ready for power outages, but oddly the lights only briefly flickered once and my neighborhood never lost power. Lot of tree damage scattered about the state. I had a Bradford pear lose a large limb. Fortunately no injuries or property damage. A local contractor came out yesterday to down the tree, chop up the stump and haul the mess away. Where I live, you could hardly tell there was a storm.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
I don't dispute that the media was all over Irene and spent their time hyping the landfall up north, but the forecasting was off, so their coverage was off. As a Navy guy, I had friends in Nashville, and the base at Millington, TN was devastated by the flooding. So, I understand the frustration with media hype and what is ignored.

Frankly, they spent all their time talking about New York as we were getting hammered in North Carolina and Virginia. CNN was in fact, the worst, they spent all their coverage on what might happen to New York City, while ignoring what was happening here. But that's CNN...why pay attention to millions of southern conservatives getting hurt when you could show millions of Northern liberals who are frightened....

Irene was a Hurricane that made landfall here and while the winds were Cat I, the storm was huge with a broad area of impact. In fact, I have family in Vermont (I used to live there...) and at least they are getting that right...

My issue with the the above cartoons is that they downplay the storm itself, not the media. They make fun of the storm and the impact of the storm. Look at the captions, they talk only about Irene damage. I've got no problem targeting the media mistakes.

But, in light of the 40 people who lost their lives, the thousands who lost their homes and the billions in damage, the cartoons are frankly, stupid.

The conservative/liberal comment is uncalled for. I don't report it because I know why you posted it and I respect that. and for what it's worth, Fox News posted the same things as CNN did.

Look, the comics do make fun of the media- at face value it looks like they are poking fun at the storm, yes. But when you think about it, they are saying the damage from Irene is much less than the media basically promised was gonna happen. ITS GONNA BE A BIG ONE!!!!!!! They kept saying. And in the grand sceme of things, the damage wasn't nearly as bad as it could have been.

Believe me, I live about a half hour from the New York-Vermont Border. Yesterday, and today I'm sure, I'll have customers in from Vermont who need to replace a boat load (no pun intended) of electronics, because their house flooded and they lost everything. I feel for them, believe me. But on the other hand, I know people that evacuated NYC because of "the big one" and it was basically a rainstorm for them. Heck, when the storm hit here, and we are darn close to VT, it was hardly windy, mostly just a lot of rain. So they are teasing the media, not the storm.

Nick - First, I am fascinated that you feel that you can negatively comment on the media, while you feel that my comment on the audience of one media outlet is off base. I was sarcastic in that comment, but then, you haven't spent days preparing or cleaning up from a hurricane. I have.

You may not like my assessment of your "jokes", but then, you weren't hit by this storm. Irene was a storm, and a large one.

Show your picture (of the kid in the puddle or the lost shingle) to someone who just lost their house, or worse, a loved one, in this storm, and you're likely to find their fist in your face.

And for the myopia that the picture represents - you would deserve it.

It is simply rude to make fun of events that killed people or destroyed their homes. Your pictures said nothing about the media...read your own captions, "Irene Damage" with a kid in a puddle doesn't look very funny to someone whose neighbor lost her house. How about a few funny pictures of floods in the Midwest that killed people...since they didn't hit you, those must be hilarious.

Or, how about funny captions with helicopters referring to crashes? You could note how those crashes didn't affect you...and then you could marvel equally at the offense taken by Navy SEALS...

The pictures simply weren't funny, regardless of your intent, they were clearly mocking a tragedy...To you Irene was a big joke, a media joke, but a joke.

To those hit by it, Irene was a tragedy, and you shouldn't make fun of that tragedy.

Finally got power back at around 12 pm . Hope everyone else is fine . The newly purchased CHAMPION 46514 ( 4,000 peak , 3,500 running wats ) generator ran like a CHAMP , it's no CHUMP for only $299.99 . Did well on gas too ( 93 octane ) . Ran an average of 16 hours a day and is filled with P.P. 10w-30 . Had to do an O.C. when weather got better due to break in period . Power out Sunday at 10 AM . Still have it set up in case it goes out again , has been rather sporadic . It ran a 700 watt A.C. , small Frigidaire frig ( 500 watts peak (?) , 7 watt lamp , Dish Newtwork box , and the 32" Magnavox L.C.D television . Figire about 1,500 watts max on occasion . Wish others better days ahead .

Last edited:
Yesterday, and today I'm sure, I'll have customers in from Vermont who need to replace a boat load (no pun intended) of electronics, because their house flooded and they lost everything.

My new fridge, a result of a self-induced (through idiocy) generator brownout cost me more than I pay for most of my project saturns.
frown.gif
So my actions to preserve my food blew out the appliance that keeps them cold.

I managed to make space in the two car garage for two cars which emerged unscathed. I did bust a piece of glass in my wife's china cabinet while moving it within the garage... so the auto glass would not get busted by falling branches outside.

Irene, the irony has not escaped me.

And I'm sorry for the guy on here whose civic got tree'd, but am glad he had insurance.

Originally Posted By: Astro14
Nick - First, I am fascinated that you feel that you can negatively comment on the media, while you feel that my comment on the audience of one media outlet is off base. I was sarcastic in that comment, but then, you haven't spent days preparing or cleaning up from a hurricane. I have.

You may not like my assessment of your "jokes", but then, you weren't hit by this storm. Irene was a storm, and a large one.

Show your picture (of the kid in the puddle or the lost shingle) to someone who just lost their house, or worse, a loved one, in this storm, and you're likely to find their fist in your face.

And for the myopia that the picture represents - you would deserve it.

It is simply rude to make fun of events that killed people or destroyed their homes. Your pictures said nothing about the media...read your own captions, "Irene Damage" with a kid in a puddle doesn't look very funny to someone whose neighbor lost her house. How about a few funny pictures of floods in the Midwest that killed people...since they didn't hit you, those must be hilarious.

Or, how about funny captions with helicopters referring to crashes? You could note how those crashes didn't affect you...and then you could marvel equally at the offense taken by Navy SEALS...

The pictures simply weren't funny, regardless of your intent, they were clearly mocking a tragedy...To you Irene was a big joke, a media joke, but a joke.

To those hit by it, Irene was a tragedy, and you shouldn't make fun of that tragedy.

Could not agree more, as long as you also reserve that same (and equal) outrage/vitriol for a certain right wing POTUS candidate who made a "joke" about the storm as well.
wink.gif

BTW; I got off too easy with a 3 second power outage, a leaf/debris covered car, a soaked through window sill, and having to boil my drinking/brushing water for a week.
But some of those 80mph gusts did uproot MANY trees around here.

I am not sure if there is ever a correct way to brag or dismiss the impact of any natural disaster if it has the potential to cause massive damages and loss of lives.

Maybe I'm being politically correct, but I think it is only humane not to get into a peeing contest about "my storm is bigger than yours" or "you are biased because of the people who live there".

I've never belittled other's tragedies...so I don't believe this is a peeing contest about who has it rougher...it's more a question of me taking offense to a picture that belittled the storm that did so much damage outside the poster's area...

Forgive my sarcasm about the media and the post...it's not my general nature...but I hope you'll understand (from my posts, if not from the news) that this storm has impacted millions of people, who were displaced, are still without power, lost homes, or lost lives. It impacted my neighbors, my family, and my friends. My kid brother (in CT) is still running on a portable generator with two little kids in the house...my elderly neighbor is still cleaning up her house, and the folks across the street had theirs flooded.

IF the pix were about the media, they would have had a different caption, not "we will rebuild" or "Irene Damage"...those captions point to the storm itself...

Personally, my family lucked out...after 2 days of prep, we evacuated. We returned to find that we got no water in the house, our house is still standing...and no trees crushed our children. But folks nearby were not so lucky. And it irks me that those who are lucky are making fun of the storm instead of showing some gratitude for being spared and some sympathy for those who weren't spared.

I have no interest in throwing down on who has it tougher/easier...that is pointless...I am asking for some degree of maturity in the discussion.

And I missed the "joke" made by a politician...I've been too busy. I am mission-essential at work, and I have been cleaning up at home. I've got no time for politics...just a bit of BITOG to relax...or so I thought...

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back