Nokian Announces New R5 Studless Winter Tire

A noticeable weakness of the R5 is relatively poor resistance to aquaplaning. I believe this also translates into poor resistance to slushplaning.

In the MOTOR/ViBilagare testing of 235/55R18 tires, the R5 had the worst hydroplaning result of the 8 tires tested. It's float speed was 60.3 km/hr

In the TyreReview testing of 205/55R16 tires, the R5 had the worst hydroplaning result of the 8 tires tested. It's float speed was 71.5 km/hr

Last edited:
A noticeable weakness of the R5 is relatively poor resistance to aquaplaning. I believe this also translates into poor resistance to slushplaning.

In the MOTOR/ViBilagare testing of 235/55R18 tires, the R5 had the worst hydroplaning result of the 8 tires tested. It's float speed was 60.3 km/hr

In the TyreReview testing of 205/55R16 tires, the R5 had the worst hydroplaning result of the 8 tires tested. It's float speed was 71.5 km/hr
It does.
They were addressing other issues they have (wet and dry handling/braking) and decided to drop the ball somewhere.
That is what I was saying before, Nokian cannot make a tire that does everything well. They are not at that level.
I just ordered Blizzak WS90 for BMW. $164 in Costco + $150 discount, a total $634. Michelin did not have X-Ice in 205/50 R17 size, and Continental wanted $184 (at best) for VC7. Nokian wants $220 for R5 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

It does.
They were addressing other issues they have (wet and dry handling/braking) and decided to drop the ball somewhere.
That is what I was saying before, Nokian cannot make a tire that does everything well. They are not at that level.
I just ordered Blizzak WS90 for BMW. $164 in Costco + $150 discount, a total $634. Michelin did not have X-Ice in 205/50 R17 size, and Continental wanted $184 (at best) for VC7. Nokian wants $220 for R5 :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Just have to shop around. That's what I did for my set. Nokian has a $80-100 rebate going on right now in the states until December 2nd

A set of R5's in your size (205/50/17) costs $720 on eBay after the instant rebate so $86 more than your Michelin deal from Costco.. not much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3941425497...uid=_WiIoUMCTUS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Just have to shop around. That's what I did for my set. Nokian has a $80-100 rebate going on right now in the states until December 2nd

A set of R5's in your size (205/50/17) costs $720 on eBay after the instant rebate so $86 more than your Michelin deal from Costco.. not much.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/3941425497...uid=_WiIoUMCTUS&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
I kind of having an issue buying tires from eBay.and R speed index?
Plus, again, they are not worth that money.

I see (205/50R17):
R5 $717.56 (tires by web via ebay)
WS90 $659.96 (TR)
X-Ice Snow $715.96 (TR)
VC7 $739.96 (TR) -$70MIR

Price wise it looks like Blizzaks try the hardest.

Krzyś

I kind of having an issue buying tires from eBay.and R speed index?
Plus, again, they are not worth that money.

They offer free returns within 30 days, seller pays return shipping. They're also an authorized dealer from what I remember when asking Nokian.

Could also try and price match with a local tire shop and get the $100 rebate instead of $80:
https://www.pointstire.com/protire/Specials/WinterFormal

About the R speed index - you planning on going faster than 106mph?

but yes, I know you're not interested. just posting in case others might be

They offer free returns within 30 days, seller pays return shipping. They're also an authorized dealer from what I remember when asking Nokian.

Could also try and price match with a local tire shop and get the $100 rebate instead of $80:
https://www.pointstire.com/protire/Specials/WinterFormal

About the R speed index - you planning on going faster than 106mph?

but yes, I know you're not interested. just posting in case others might be
Yeah, I do plan more than 100mph. Happens a lot.

It is still more expensive. I did not go into details, but even with a rebate, does it include installation?
Costco is $634 out of the door. No need to wait for the rebate, all done.
Plus, I have never bought a tire in Costco that was older than 2 months.

Nokian prices itself as super premium in the USA. I am not sure it is the case in Europe.

Krzyś
The premium price is not justified. When I bought a set of Nokian R2 tires in 2013 I had to go through 7 tires before I had a set that would not cause vibrations. They were manufactured in Nokian's plant in Russia.

I still have that set of Nokians, with plenty of tread depth and no cracks in the rubber, and have not had any further issues with them, but I am at the 10 year limit and will be looking to buy new tires next fall.

Michelin or Continental will be my choices in 2023. Blizzak does not appeal to me. Maybe a new VikingContact 8 from Continental will be announced Feb. 2023 ?

Nokian has sold their Russian factory:
https://www.nokiantyres.com/company...n-tyres-plc-to-sell-its-operations-in-russia/

Nokian Tyres plc, October 28, 2022
Nokian Tyres plc has signed an agreement to sell its Russian operations to Tatneft PJSC
Upon the closing of the transaction, Nokian Tyres ends all its operations in Russia and the company’s personnel in Russia will transfer to the new owner.
Nokian Tyres has been operating in Russia since 2005. In 2021, approximately 80% of the company’s passenger car tires were produced in Russia and the business area Russia and Asia represented approximately 20% of Nokian Tyres’ net sales.
The exit from Russia will significantly impact Nokian Tyres’ financial results
In order to secure supply of its products, Nokian Tyres has continued to increase capacity at its factories in Finland and in the US, and is proceeding with the investment in new supply capability in Europe.

They will be building a new factory in Romania:

Nokian Tyres’ Board of Directors has made a decision to invest in a new passenger car tire factory in Romania. The new greenfield factory will be located in Oradea in the North-West of Romania, near the Hungarian border. The annual capacity of the factory will be 6 million tires with an expansion potential in the future.
The factory will concentrate on the production of larger rim size passenger and SUV tires that will be primarily sold in the Central European market.

Yeah, I do plan more than 100mph. Happens a lot.

Plus, I have never bought a tire in Costco that was older than 2 months.

It happens a lot on winter tires?

106mph is 170km/h for the other Canadians on here.

There's 0 reason for anyone in North America to be going over the speed rating on public roads.

Can't imagine taking your winters to the track but if it's a thing in Colorado, that's cool.

R5's are so new that you're guaranteed a fresh production date no matter what if buying for this season.

IMG_7078.jpg

It happens a lot on winter tires?

106mph is 170km/h for the other Canadians on here.

There's 0 reason for anyone in North America to be going over the speed rating on public roads.

Can't imagine taking your winters to the track but if it's a thing in Colorado, that's cool.

R5's are so new that you're guaranteed a fresh production date no matter what if buying for this season.

View attachment 126241
There are zero reasons for a lot of things in life. For example, water is perfectly OK, but I like 18yrs old whiskey too.
And no, I do not track winter tires.

Yeah, I know they are this year's production. But again, installation, and if something is wrong, I have to bother to send it back. And it is, again, Nokian. That is one of the problems Nokian has in general. Really mediocre supplier network. I would be paying above $800 out of the door, and at that price, I can get Continental VC7, IMO, the best performer right now.

I just got a set mounted on our Subaru Ascent (245/65R17). We haven't had any snow or rain yet, but I expect them to do pretty well based off past experiences with the Hakka 9's we had on our Fusion. I previously had Nitto SN2 snow tires and those were a mixed bag. Great in snow covered roads and slush. But they tracked with the grooves cut into the surface of the interstate really bad. On partially covered roads I couldn't accurately tell if it was slipping or tracking on the grooves. That's why they only lasted 1 season. By comparison the Nokian R5 is solid down any road surface so far. I have never used tires that are Ultra Low Rolling Resistance and it's pretty crazy how much more it coasts compared to the Falken Wildpeak AT Trails. Curious if it'll get a little better MPG. I did consider the Michelin X-Ice Snow, but it came down to availability. The Nokians were a week out and the Michelins I wouldn't get till around Thanksgiving.

One thing I take with a grain of salt is the Hydroplaning tests since the road is flooded about 1" deep of water. That isn't very realistic in my experience. But it does equate to slush, so I am curious how these tires do in that respect. Just based off the tread design I would assume they would evacuate water pretty well.

Here's the tires and the car. The Ascent, not the Outback. Yes I have 2 sets of the same wheels with different tires, got a great deal and I liked the look.

IMG_5220.jpg

IMG_5230.jpg

Are you sure it is 1" and not 1.5mm?

The hydroplaning speeds at this water depth would be 30mph and not 55mph. IMHO

Krzys

One thing I don't like about the tire tests from MOTOR magazine in Norway is that the test data is shown as scores, ranging from 1-15. I prefer to see data in its original form, expressed as meters or seconds etc.

Fortunately, the Swedish magazine ViBilagare does display data in its original form, and since they collaborate with MOTOR magazine in performing winter tire tests, they are both working from the same data set.

I was just going off of how much water appears to be on the tracks, just a visual. It's probably shallower than it looks. But I also have no idea how much water is used in the 3rd party testers like Tyre Reviewer on Youtube. I would still imagine that the good performers at 1.5mm depth would still be better at a higher depth.

I have not seen any details about the hydroplaning test methodology at TyreReviews or at Motor/ ViBilagare/NAF. Ice traction testing temperatures were also missing.

Consumer Reports uses a water depth of 3/8", says Google.

This European testing company uses 4-10mm water depth for hydroplaning tests

longitudinal-hydroplaning

Yeah, I know they are this year's production. But again, installation, and if something is wrong, I have to bother to send it back. And it is, again, Nokian. That is one of the problems Nokian has in general. Really mediocre supplier network. I would be paying above $800 out of the door, and at that price, I can get Continental VC7, IMO, the best performer right now.

At least in my region, I always saw their network as supporting the little guy. Only two chains seem to carry them in Canada, Kal Tire and Point-S.

Kal Tire gets a ton of business because of this exclusive partnership. They also seem to give great customer service because of it. Got a deep discount on a new set of nokian one's because of a sidewall puncture. It was an AWD car and there was more than 3/32nds in tread difference between new and old. They mentioned the Nokian rep is "flexible" when it comes to claims.

but you make a good point. the flat happened out of town and if the spare wasn't up to the task, a different brand would have had to be ordered.

Michelin or Continental can be found everywhere

At least in my region, I always saw their network as supporting the little guy. Only two chains seem to carry them in Canada, Kal Tire and Point-S.

Kal Tire gets a ton of business because of this exclusive partnership. They also seem to give great customer service because of it. Got a deep discount on a new set of nokian one's because of a sidewall puncture. It was an AWD car and there was more than 3/32nds in tread difference between new and old. They mentioned the Nokian rep is "flexible" when it comes to claims.

but you make a good point. the flat happened out of town and if the spare wasn't up to the task, a different brand would have had to be ordered.

Michelin or Continental can be found everywhere
And in the end, they are simply not that good.
Them and Kumho Ecsta, two tires that I was absolutely scared of in wet. Garbage.
For half a price, maybe, maybe, I would try them again. Even if everyone had them here in stock.

Back