New in 2024: Continental VikingContact 8 Studless Winter Tire

Have not yet seen an official press release from Continental, with detailed information, but expect more info this month. It will have lower rolling resistance compared to the previous generation. It's arrival is good timing for me, I need to buy new winter tires later this year.

Tread design on the 8 is similar to the 7, but not identical.

New VikingContact 8:
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 8.36.45 AM.jpg

VikingContact 7:
Screen Shot 2024-02-10 at 8.51.37 AM.jpg

Last edited:
Have not yet seen an official press release from Continental, with detailed information, but expect more info this month. It will have lower rolling resistance compared to the previous generation. It's arrival is good timing for me, I need to buy new winter tires later this year.

Tread design on the 8 is similar to the 7, but not identical.

New VikingContact 8:
View attachment 202789

VikingContact 7:
View attachment 202790
I am thinking of purchasing this new Continental winter tire when my Subaru Outback needs new winter tires. I am currently on Sumitomo Ice Edge tires. They have good grip in snow, not sure about ice performance at this point, but are really noisy. They sound like noisy wheel bearings growling away..

I will probably go with them, unless obscene price difference compared what Costco offers.
Design might be similar, but compound is probably far different.

Their naming convention is odd since the vikingcontact 7 was the first model?

Tread pattern on the 8 looks awful busy with not much tread void space.
That would affect hydroplaning(wet and slush) and deep(er) snow traction.

I'm years away from buying any winter tires unless I trade in the forester.

I would be hesitant to buy over blizzak ws-90 or the Vikingcontact 7 without full review(s).

I would be hesitant to buy over blizzak ws-90 or the Vikingcontact 7 without full review(s).
Considering that Continental is absolute winter tire leader in Europe, in my 20+ years of using their snow tires, never had any that didn’t meet their performance expectations.
Continental offered VC with different numbers, but not on North American market.

When it comes to WS90, while I think it exceptional tire (have them on BMW and Tiguan) I would still give advantage to VC7 (had on BMW). So, I am expecting VC8 to be better than VC7.

I first started paying attention to winter tires in 2006. At that time, in the European market, the Continental studless winter tire was the VikingContact 3. After that came versions 4,5,6,7, and now version 8.

.... So, I am expecting VC8 to be better than VC7.
Me too. Continental has a good, but not perfect, track record over the last 20 years of improving their winter tires with each generation. Their only blunder was about 4 years ago when they introduced a new studded tire (IceContact 3) with a new stud design that was greatly superior to the competition on ice. But it was withdrawn from the market after only 1 year, because customers were reporting high rates of stud loss (studs being ejected out of the tread).

....Unable to find a quick solution to this problem, Continental AG stopped the production of ContiFlexStud rubber-coated studs, as a consequence of which, the IceContact 3 model will only be available with the standard aluminum studs in the future....

Me too. Continental has a good, but not perfect, track record over the last 20 years of improving their winter tires with each generation. Their only blunder was about 4 years ago when they introduced a new studded tire (IceContact 3) with a new stud design that was greatly superior to the competition on ice. But it was withdrawn from the market after only 1 year, because customers were reporting high rates of stud loss (studs being ejected out of the tread).

Yeah, i never owned studded tires, so was not fallowing that. But I owned numerous Continental studless tires, starting, with I believe TS760 in 90’s. Newer series was always better than older.

Yeah, i never owned studded tires, so was not fallowing that. But I owned numerous Continental studless tires, starting, with I believe TS760 in 90’s. Newer series was always better than older.
I dont doubt they are good tires.. but I was disappointed with the ws-80 after the ws-70

The tire voids are getting awfully small on the conti 8's It might be an improvement on wet/dry/ice traction and rolling resistance
but they seem to be optimizing for that at the expense of slush planing resistance and deeper snow.

I dont doubt they are good tires.. but I was disappointed with the ws-80 after the ws-70

The tire voids are getting awfully small on the conti 8's It might be an improvement on wet/dry/ice traction and rolling resistance
but they seem to be optimizing for that at the expense of slush planing resistance and deeper snow.
WS80 had a problem with compound, same like DM-V2.
Will see about voids. I was hesitant about Michelin Latitude Xi2, but it turned out to be as capable in slush as DM-V2, and better in everything else.
i will see where I end up with wear on DM-V2 at the end of this season too low for next, so I will volunteer to be guinea pig. If I can squeeze one more season out of DM-V2, then 25/26.

I am thinking of purchasing this new Continental winter tire when my Subaru Outback needs new winter tires. I am currently on Sumitomo Ice Edge tires. They have good grip in snow, not sure about ice performance at this point, but are really noisy. They sound like noisy wheel bearings growling away..
I was looking to buy my neighbors Outback, on the test drive I was like *** is that noise. He said he thinks wheel bearings. Subaru confirmed that on pre purchase inspection. Not sure how true but I think I read that the rears were using a ball not roller bearing. The pothole impacts around were killing many of them.

I was looking to buy my neighbors Outback, on the test drive I was like *** is that noise. He said he thinks wheel bearings. Subaru confirmed that on pre purchase inspection. Not sure how true but I think I read that the rears were using a ball not roller bearing. The pothole impacts around were killing many of them.
What year.. they have been roller for some time.
There was an issue with backing plates being out of spec and wearing out wheel bearing on some models (forget which).

There is almost no possible way Continental would make them worse than the tire they are supposed to replace.

To me they look very similar to VC7. They are just improving on an already excellent tire

What year.. they have been roller for some time.
There was an issue with backing plates being out of spec and wearing out wheel bearing on some models (forget which).
IIRC it was a '13, 3.6R limited in pearl white. It was in great condition overall. When I test drove it I heard that and a couple things I didn't know. I actually took it for a pre-purchase inspection. Subaru dealer gave me the list of things needed and soon to come like the plugs, timing belt, the bearings and a couple others.

Neighbor wanted close to KBB even with list of stuff. We also talked about oil burning which he said it was using some on his highway trips but he was mostly around town so didn't really notice much. He was out of the extended warranty coverage for the rings combined with the big $$ expenses and not wanting to bargain. I walked away from it and 6 months later he moved, still driving it.

There is almost no possible way Continental would make them worse than the tire they are supposed to replace.

To me they look very similar to VC7. They are just improving on an already excellent tire
to me it looks like the tread voids are less than half the size. Time will tell. I bet its better in an ice rink will it be better in a turn on 4-6" of fresh snow?
or crossing the slush hump on the highway?
I am sure they will be good tires. They just may have improved them in other areas at a small cost of some winter performance.. that I mentioned.
Which many people who buy performance winter tires (vs max traction) may welcome the changes (including me).

Looking forward to seeing professional reviews.

Back