No Surprise, Truck/SUV Sales Down

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm also not surprised that Nissan is taking a hit from the high fuel prices. While they make quality vehicles, their MPG ratings are behind the other Japanese manufacturers that are selling more cars nowadays. For example, look at the Sentra (I have one). Even though it's a solid car, the EPA MPG estimates on the highway are nearly 20% lower than the corolla. That's a big difference at today's gas prices.

As I understand it, truck/SUV sales are back to the 1990 levels... to where they were just before the SUV craze hit.

I'm not surprised.

I recently had lunch with a friend of mine whom I don't see often, and he works for a very high-volume Dodge-Toyota dealer. He said they have about 60 '05 model Dodges still on the lot brand new...all pickups and SUVs. However there's not a single '05 Toyota to be found...

Wonder what that means...

quote:

Originally posted by methusaleh:
I'm not surprised.

snip... However there's not a single '05 Toyota to be found...

Wonder what that means...

It means that one is wanted and the other is not. It also indicates that one builds what they can sell and the other just builds alot and attempts to sell them later..at a loss perhaps or most likely.
Theres a difference between building more vehicles and selling more vehicles to the consumer level.
cheers.gif

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2006/04/us_registration.html

Data compiled by R.L. Polk & Co. and released by the Diesel Technology Forum (DTF) show that registration of light-duty diesel passenger vehicles in the US jumped 31% in 2005 from the year before. Registrations of light- and medium-duty diesel passenger vehicles have grown 80% since 2000—up from 301,000 diesel vehicles that year to 543,777 diesel registrations in 2005.

In the light-duty market, diesel registrations nearly doubled (95% growth) between 2000 and 2005, climbing from 22,543 to 44,031. When given a choice between a gasoline or diesel engine, consumers purchased the diesel engine option almost half the time (45%) in 2005. By contrast, sales of light-duty gasoline-electric hybrid vehicles hit 205,749 in 2005.

Medium-duty vehicles (such as the Chevrolet Silverado, Dodge Ram, Ford F-Series and GMC Sierra Trucks) represent the bulk of the light-and medium-duty diesel sales in the US: 477,853 units in 2005, or 88% of the total.

Most analysts expect the diesel trend to continue due in part to rising fuel prices and the desire to improve US vehicle efficiency. Diesel offer a 20% to 40% improvement in fuel economy against comparable gasoline engines.

Researchers at J.D. Power and Associates predict that diesel sales will approximately triple in the next 10 years, accounting for more than 10% of US vehicle sales by 2015, up from 3.6% in 2005 and 2.25% in 2000.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back