No Oil Consumption

Yuk

I'm kind of apprehensive posting this, it almost sounds like a stupid question to me, but I have to ask.

All four of my road worthy cars (see below for what I own) can go a full OCI without any oil consumption.

Is this ever a bad thing?

Generally no.

Some engines do consume oil and replace it with fuel... But that does not seem to be the case here.
I agree with you. As far as I am aware, fuel dilution is not a problem with these cars. That said, I might do a couple of oil analyses just to find out.

My truck hasn't burned a drop of oil since I bought it new. I check it at least monthly, always exactly on the top of the full mark where I filled it last.

I think some engines are more susceptible to this than others.

I've always used premium oils though so maybe that helps as well.

My truck hasn't burned a drop of oil since I bought it new. I check it at least monthly, always exactly on the top of the full mark where I filled it last.

I think some engines are more susceptible to this than others.

I've always used premium oils though so maybe that helps as well.
Out of the 16 cars I've owned, only one of them (not counting the rotary engined Cosmos) would really burn oil. Most of my oil issues were leaks.
I attribute my car's low consumption to always using synthetic (at least since 1991) and rarely going past 5000 miles on an OCi.

Some lubricant must go out the tailpipe as a consequence of lubricating your cylinder walls and from being exposed to the combustion process. Your engine burns no measurable oil throughout the service interval.
You are correct.
At least some oil must get past the top ring, since it needs some to seal and at least some oil must get all the way down each valve guide.
The quantities may be small enough to be unnoticed and will require no adds during an OCI, but they are real as anyone who understands how an engine works should realize.

You are correct.
At least some oil must get past the top ring, since it needs some to seal and at least some oil must get all the way down each valve guide.
The quantities may be small enough to be unnoticed and will require no adds during an OCI, but they are real as anyone who understands how an engine works should realize.

Yes and that's where "technically correct" is not always the best correct.

Technically correct means that every time I check my oil my level goes down as its now on my rag, but I really cannot see it. I've installed an after market oil filter adapter on my truck so I watch my levels like a hawk, just to make sure that the adapter and hoses aren't leaking.

I'm the kind of guy that changes my oil and checks the next 3 days before driving to make sure its 100% exactly at the top where I want it, not an 1/8th of an inch higher or lower. I'm not OCD, but in this area I definitely nerd out far too much than I need to.

My truck does not move on the dipstick anywhere from 0 to 7000-ish miles which is my OCI. I could take photos as "proof" but of course if I was being deceitful then I could just top it up so it's pointless to take pics.

Yes and that's where "technically correct" is not always the best correct.

Technically correct means that every time I check my oil my level goes down as its now on my rag, but I really cannot see it. I've installed an after market oil filter adapter on my truck so I watch my levels like a hawk, just to make sure that the adapter and hoses aren't leaking.

I'm the kind of guy that changes my oil and checks the next 3 days before driving to make sure its 100% exactly at the top where I want it, not an 1/8th of an inch higher or lower. I'm not OCD, but in this area I definitely nerd out far too much than I need to.

My truck does not move on the dipstick anywhere from 0 to 7000-ish miles which is my OCI. I could take photos as "proof" but of course if I was being deceitful then I could just top it up so it's pointless to take pics.
The thing is also that the dipstick isn't a precision instrument and when and how you check the oil level will matter.
This is the reason that dipsticks have what is typically a quart range between full and add.
Anywhere between the two and you're golden.

You are correct.
I guess I took it for granted that everyone on BITOG understands how an engine gets lubricated. I mean, it's BITOG!
My thought is, if I can't make that assumption here, then we can't assume that anyone, knows anything, anywhere.
My apologies to all members, for making the assumption. ;)

The thing is also that the dipstick isn't a precision instrument and when and how you check the oil level will matter.
This is the reason that dipsticks have what is typically a quart range between full and add.
Anywhere between the two and you're golden.

Somewhat true in that it's not "precision", however it is definitely accurate in my checks. If it wasn't accurate it wouldn't be consistent, but it is very consistent. I check when the engine is stone cold and at home in the same parking space.

Reactions: Yuk
Back