No Oil Consumption

Owner's manual of most old cars will typically say something to the effect of:

"If you prefer oil consumption, start using 0W-X especially 0W-20."

It's a fine print somewhere if you look for it. :alien:

I'm kind of apprehensive posting this, it almost sounds like a stupid question to me, but I have to ask.

All four of my road worthy cars (see below for what I own) can go a full OCI without any oil consumption.

Is this ever a bad thing?
Nothing unusual. My 87 truck consumes no oil for its 4k oil run.

And yet interestingly enough my Civic only consumed a half quart of 0w20 on my last OCI (9566 miles)

I haven't had a vehicle in the past 20 years that has used enough oil to affect the dipstick. Whatever was used was replaced by approximately the same amount of fuel with no change on the dipstick. However, none of these were high mileage.

All engines consume some oil, some just consume a hell of a lot less. It’s generally a good thing to have no notable consumption.

I'm kind of apprehensive posting this, it almost sounds like a stupid question to me, but I have to ask.

All four of my road worthy cars (see below for what I own) can go a full OCI without any oil consumption.

Is this ever a bad thing?
Not in my book. What are you using in your vehicles, & how long are the OCI's?

And yet interestingly enough my Civic only consumed a half quart of 0w20 on my last OCI (9566 miles)
Up until January in the Ford and April in the Mazda, 5/0W-20 has been the only oil used.
17 year old Mazda - 244,000 km
13 year old Ford - 108,000 km
8000-10,000 km OCIs
Zero visible consumption between changes.

Not in my book. What are you using in your vehicles, & how long are the OCI's?
Up until January in the Ford and April in the Mazda, 5/0W-20 has been the only oil used.

17 year old Mazda - 244,000 km
13 year old Ford - 108,000 km
8000-10,000 km OCIs

35 year old Ford van - 153,000 km
Last 15 years, whatever oil is around (always synthetic), once every year or two, maybe 1000-4000 km/OCI.

19 year old Jaguar - 82000 km
5W-30 Castrol synthetic, something like once a year and 5000km average OCI.

My wifes '11 Chevy Equinox has used oil since she got it. It had 35k miles on it when she got it, it now has 89k on it. It would use 1 qt in 750 miles on 5w30 wt. Now that I use 10w40 in it, it has really slowed down the consumption. Maybe 1 qt in 2200 miles which is tolerable.,,

My wifes '11 Chevy Equinox has used oil since she got it. It had 35k miles on it when she got it, it now has 89k on it. It would use 1 qt in 750 miles on 5w30 wt. Now that I use 10w40 in it, it has really slowed down the consumption. Maybe 1 qt in 2200 miles which is tolerable.,,
My '86 Volvo used a small amount of oil from day 1. Never increased in the 285,000 Km I owned it. I changed the oil every 3 months and hardly ever added oil (as I consider anything between the 2 marks on the dipstick as being an acceptable amount of oil).

I chalked up the oil use to a bit of looseness in a (for the time) higher performance engine. Didn't seem to hurt anything.

My '86 Volvo used a small amount of oil from day 1. Never increased in the 285,000 Km I owned it. I changed the oil every 3 months and hardly ever added oil (as I consider anything between the 2 marks on the dipstick as being an acceptable amount of oil).

I chalked up the oil use to a bit of looseness in a (for the time) higher performance engine. Didn't seem to hurt anything.
For a pretty low mileage engine, using a qt in 750 miles is alot. You pretty much do a full oil change, during one oil use cycle. GM knows there was a problem with those engines, but chose to do nothing about it on their dime. But if you wanted to pay them, they would gladly rebuild it for you.,,,

I have the same experience with 2 old cars both burning oil with 5W-30 Synthetic or "Syn-blend".
One car doesn't burn much maybe 1/2 to 3/4 qt per 5K miles OCI.

However, they burn none with M1 EP 10W-30. And it was not a one time event i.e. I have switched back & forth a few times to confirm. My next experimentation is with M1 EP 5W-30.

Maybe it has to do with the base oil, the spread (5 v 10), Noack, add-packs, brand of oil, etc. Some old engines do better with certain types of oil. Thicker maybe!?

A little bit of kidding in my post #21 but based on my experience, I don't even want to try a 0W-40 in my old cars. lol Maybe 10W-40!

I also have a weird phenomenon where my AMG with the M139 running 0w20 burns no oil, and my K20C1 also burns no oil on a 0w20.

I just don’t like it when engines start consuming oil, I know it’s “normal” to a point but it still bothers me. To me it means something is worn or wrong…something is leaking, or the PCV system isn’t working properly, or just can’t keep up due to excessive blow by…or it means my oil rings are stuck or clogged (and I have a poorly designed engine or a poorly maintained engine).

My car right now doesn’t really consume any noticeable oil in 5,000 mile intervals, and will usually consume only a half quart in 10,000 mile intervals. I’m at 145,000 miles on the thing now and I’m real curious how long this type of lack of oil consumption will hold up (especially where I am extending intervals out to 10,000 miles most times). We shall see.

All of my vehicles use no oil between changes. If any of them did I would probably get rid of the vehicle.

Your Corvette doesn’t even use oil? All of mine have consumed a little bit. My C7 uses roughly half a quart every 7k. It’s perfectly normal for a high performance engine that’s driven hard from time to time.

Back