No need to let a car warm up...

Don't know, don't care. Only the first 2 minutes were the relevant part.

But people in Florida, S California, south TX, etc will still insist how horrible and unnecessary it is to warm cars up. :D
If you have an ice scraper it is unnecessary and it takes the car a lot longer to warm up vs driving off.

Been between -25F and -34F here every morning for the last week and a half. We both use up the 2 remote starts that GM gives us to put a little heat in the cab, the engines could care less. Good batteries and most vehicles won't have an issue will it's quite a bit colder than that.

wow ! seems like an eternity for the oil temperature to come up. I’m curious what type of engine & oil you are using.

At a pretty low temperature recently, 0 F, my monitored oil temperature took about 6 minutes to get to 180 F , coolant was the usual 16-18 degrees F cooler @ that point in time (‘02 Jaguar XKR V-8 / 4.0 L).

What is the “usual” time for your oil to get up to your engines normal ?

Z
2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 98K on it been running and is running 5w30 HM no problem starting and still OEM battery.
20miles at 55mph trans will not go to overdrive in 20 miles thats the distance of work drive and at them temps -12F when I pulled into work parking lot I never see oil over 165 in that stint.

663337CE-621A-4D9E-8F52-8F2DF9F5E585.jpeg

2018 Subaru Crosstrek 2.0 98K on it been running and is running 5w30 HM no problem starting and still OEM battery.
20miles at 55mph trans will not go to overdrive in 20 miles thats the distance of work drive and at them temps -12F when I pulled into work parking lot I never see oil over 165 in that stint.

View attachment 86256

I thought you were using the HPL oil? 🤔

Am using M-1 0w-40 as per the Jaguar recommendation for my climate. They show a sliding scale of different viscosity recommendations depending on the typical ambient temperature range. That seems reasonable to me, wonder why more manufacturers don’t do the same ?

Once up to operating temp the car typically has an oil temp of 195-210 and the coolant temp is generally 16-18 F cooler than that. For Summertime in stop and go traffic add 20-25 F.

Z

3º here this morning.

On mornings this cold, generally I start the car when I walk past it taking the dog out. By the time he's finished, I get back in, and am ready to leave(5-10 minutes generally) I'll at least minimize the amount of scraping I have to do and generally the engine will be warm by the time I hit the interstate on ramp.

When morning temperatures get back up into the high 20s or low 30s, it's generally hop in and go for me. I might wait a few seconds for the fast idle to stop dropping off.

On the MG forum I frequent, I've been reading stories either from in the past or from folks now who use their cars as dailies regardless of the weather. I'd hate to try and start mine on a 3º morning. I've heard some horror stories of runaway acceleration from carb dashpot oil being so thick that it won't allow the pistons to drop, or of the carbs freezing and either holding the pistons and/or holding the throttle plates open. Weather like this makes me glad I don't have to depend on a carburetor to get me to work.

It doesn't get too cold here in NC. Low teens at worst. I have a coolant heater that comes on for 3 hours before I leave for work. Water temp is up after 2 miles but oil temp still takes 10+ miles to hit 150°F.

I don't idle the car after starting longer than it takes me to get situated and turn on some music, even if I forget to plug in the heater. It warms up faster if I just drive.

I don't scrape ice either. I keep Prestone De-icer washer fluid in a spray bottle. Spray it on and watch it work.

We warm up our vehicles 20-30 min. every morning when it's less than 10 out; 10-15min under 30F. I heat my house and office for comfort, I'm not going to freeze my ass off in a cold vehicle. I care not a bit about fuel costs.

Not a fan of those who whine about it being wasteful. Everything about modern existence is wasteful and unnecessary. All we really need is a cave and some furs, everything else is already superfluous. Get over it.

We warm up our vehicles 20-30 min. every morning when it's less than 10 out; 10-15min under 30F. I heat my house and office for comfort, I'm not going to freeze my ass off in a cold vehicle. I care not a bit about fuel costs.

Not a fan of those who whine about it being wasteful. Everything about modern existence is wasteful and unnecessary. All we really need is a cave and some furs, everything else is already superfluous. Get over it.
Why not just buy a heater if you only warm the car up for personal comfort.

Here I couldn't agree more. I'm sick and tired of hearing about all of this "conserve" crap. People need to face the fact that the entire planet is one giant "consumable". And there is no getting around it.

Man needs everything the Earth can and does provide. And no matter how much we conserve, or force ourselves to do without, "for the good of mankind", sooner or later we are going to run out. It cannot be sustained indefinitely.

Some things like lumber regenerate, but all the tree and bunny huggers whine and complain when we use that. The Earth is much like a full tank of gas. No matter how much you conserve, or how slow you drive, or how efficiently you manage to use that tank of gas, sooner or later you're going to run out. It's inevitable.

So why even worry about it? What good is it to think about "future generations", when they're going to be faced with the same thing, regardless of what we do? We're just prolonging the inevitable. It's just the opposite of the Powerball... Sooner or later someone is going to lose.

And when whatever generation finally does "run out" of gas, food, materials, or whatever, they're going to blame everyone before them anyway. So why worry about it? It's no different than today's Millennial's, running around squawking and blaming everything they think is wrong, on the Baby Boomers. It's human nature.

Because of that I floor my HEMI with impunity. And watch the "Actual MPG Meter" go down to 3 MPG with a smile. And according to all of these "conservation experts" my gas tank should have been dry and dusty since 2011. But yet I, along with everyone else, is still pumping like a banshee.

Best way to warm up an engine is to work it lightly, not idle it in the driveway. The crooks in my area are taking advantage of the ignorant ones idling their cars for 20 minutes to warm everything up with the doors unlocked.

I always get a laugh when the tree huggers will waste a natural resource and add additional exhaust gases to the environment so they have warm car to drive.

Best way to warm up an engine is to work it lightly, not idle it in the driveway.
I keep hearing that. And it may be true, assuming you want to believe it, because so many people keep saying it over and over. But if you talk to most any small engine mechanic, they'll all tell you the worst thing to do with small gas engines, is to start working them right after starting them up. (Lawnmowers, snowblowers, weed whackers, chainsaws).

If you do they cite the fact the piston will heat up and expand faster than the cylinder walls they move in. And that when, (not if), they heat up too fast, they will score the cylinder. That makes sense to me. So why wouldn't the same thing apply to most ANY engine? Many aircraft engines must achieve a certain oil temperature before they takeoff, because of these factors. Along with allowing the oil to thin out before putting the engine under a load...... Just like your lawnmower or car.

Yeah, I get the whole air cooled vs. water cooled, 2-stroke vs. 4-stroke argument. But I'm not seeing how the application wouldn't apply equally to both. They all contain the same parts that all work the same.

They all claim that it's best to let the engine idle, or run at low RPM under no load, until you build up some internal heat in the engine. So ALL of these internal components can warm up somewhat equally, and expand proportionately at the same rate.

That always made sense to me. So why not apply it to ANY piston engine? What have you got to lose, other than an argument while you're sitting on a bar stool?

But if you talk to most any small engine mechanic, they'll all tell you the worst thing to do with small gas engines, is to start working them right after starting them up. (Lawnmowers, snowblowers, weed whackers, chainsaws).
There's a huge difference in the lubricating systems between a car engine and a small engine relying on oil splash to lubricate it's internals. Like comparing a water melon to an orange.

Sorry you do not understand the differences.

Regardless of the oiling or cooling systems any given piston engine has, or the temperature of the oil itself. The fact is in ANY internal combustion, piston engine, you are going to have certain parts that are going to heat up much faster than others. Even 2-strokes that have no oil sump at all.

And because of that, all of the internal components will expand at different rates from a dead cold start. This until they reach the operating temperature they were designed to run at, and steady out.

All I'm saying is why not simply choose a method of warm up, that will allow for as little difference in this expansion process as possible? Which in turn will allow for a much more "even" warm up of said components. The oil as well. This regardless of how it's delivered.

Cold is cold, and allowing for a slow even heating can't be a bad thing under those conditions.

Last edited:
Don't know, don't care. Only the first 2 minutes were the relevant part.

But people in Florida, S California, south TX, etc will still insist how horrible and unnecessary it is to warm cars up. :D
I wish it was that warm and balmy here this week. Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20220121_070737.jpg
    IMG_20220121_070737.jpg
    67.4 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220127_063740.jpg
    IMG_20220127_063740.jpg
    131.2 KB · Views: 5
Only time that I have that problem is when you get a lot of snow on the floor of the vehicle and the outside conditions are just right.
Which is often for me. I march through snow banks all day for work, in and out of the truck. Drivers floor area has been soaked for weeks.

Back