No need to let a car warm up...

So what do you do when it fogs back up as you start driving? Pull over again? Oh wait, you don't live where that happens, so you don't know.
Stop breathing out of your mouth like a fish? lol.

Seriously, where I live has zero to do with it but even where I grew up in the mountains when it would get down into the 20's I never had a problem with interior windows fogging up. The best way to prevent interior windows from fogging up is to run your A/C. You should try it. I essentially run my A/C year around.

wow ! seems like an eternity for the oil temperature to come up. I’m curious what type of engine & oil you are using.

At a pretty low temperature recently, 0 F, my monitored oil temperature took about 6 minutes to get to 180 F , coolant was the usual 16-18 degrees F cooler @ that point in time (‘02 Jaguar XKR V-8 / 4.0 L).

What is the “usual” time for your oil to get up to your engines normal ?

Z

at about 30F it takes my coolant up to half an hour (driving at speed limit) to get up to temp. Oil will be slightly behind, there's an oil/coolant heat exchanger. Speed limit means very low load and the heater will suck out every degree of heat in the coolant until the cabin is up to temp.

I just got rid of the Kumho winter tyres and put Dunlop Wintersport 5 in their place. Mileage has gone up, but so did the time to get the engine warm...

When it's cold enough to have frost on the windows, I usually idle the car until the heater has started. I put the dials on the windows and the coldest temperature (16C) so it starts ASAP.

Seriously, where I live has zero to do with it but even where I grew up in the mountains when it would get down into the 20's I never had a problem with interior windows fogging up. The best way to prevent interior windows from fogging up is to run your A/C. You should try it. I essentially run my A/C year around.
You are kidding right? Atlanta in the winter is not the same as MN and Canada. 20's is not cold either.

I warm up my car for my comfort, not so much for the car but I don't idle it for 10 minute at a time; normally just enough to chose a song, light up a cig, and browse a few posts on FB until the idle goes to a medium/low idle. Driving a car that I just turned on in -4F temps into 40+mph traffic is a PITA, and moreso with a manual. Fog on the inside of my windows in the CX5 is normally not an issue except when my body temp is high like after the gym or a shower but the Focus's windows fogged up a lot.

You are kidding right? Atlanta in the winter is not the same as MN and Canada. 20's is not cold either.
No I'm not kidding. Run your A/C. Btw....20F is cold for about 75-80 percent of the US population.

The interior windows of my car fog up when it's even 40 degrees outside and I hop in after the gym. With the A/C running it disappears in seconds. You don know that you can run the A/C and still receive heat in the cabin?

No I'm not kidding. Run your A/C. Btw....20F is cold for about 75-80 percent of the US population.

The interior windows of my car fog up when it's even 40 degrees outside and I hop in after the gym. With the A/C running it disappears in seconds. You don know that you can run the A/C and still receive heat in the cabin?
Yes I am perfectly aware of that. Try that at -20 and you will need to let the engine warm up to achieve the same results. The A/C doesn't remove moisture very well at low temps either. Fogging up is much different than icing up.

I live right smack dab in the midwest and quite literally saw close to 105º difference between the lowest and highest temperature in 2021(lowest -4ºF for the nearest city, I think we were colder in the suburbs, and highest 101ºF). If 2022 plays out similarly, we're on track to maybe see a bit less extreme, but not much(and there's still winter left).

Considering that there are some decent sized population centers that routinely get very cold-Chicago, Milwaukee and Cleveland come to mind although I'm sure there are plenty of others-I'd like to see just what percentage of the US population routinely sees below 20ºF at least in January and February.

Yesterday morning was 3º when I left. It would have been miserable and probably dangerous as far as visibility to leave without warming up.

This morning was a much more temperate 25º. I started the car and spent about a minute brushing snow off before leaving. If there hadn't been snow I probably would have not waited.

BTW, my last two dailies have defaulted to turning the AC on any time the heat is on, and I've always left it.

I live right smack dab in the midwest and quite literally saw close to 105º difference between the lowest and highest temperature in 2021(lowest -4ºF for the nearest city, I think we were colder in the suburbs, and highest 101ºF). If 2022 plays out similarly, we're on track to maybe see a bit less extreme, but not much(and there's still winter left).

Considering that there are some decent sized population centers that routinely get very cold-Chicago, Milwaukee and Cleveland come to mind although I'm sure there are plenty of others-I'd like to see just what percentage of the US population routinely sees below 20ºF at least in January and February.

Yesterday morning was 3º when I left. It would have been miserable and probably dangerous as far as visibility to leave without warming up.

This morning was a much more temperate 25º. I started the car and spent about a minute brushing snow off before leaving. If there hadn't been snow I probably would have not waited.

BTW, my last two dailies have defaulted to turning the AC on any time the heat is on, and I've always left it.
When I left for work yesterday it was -18F and when I left work to come home it was 25F.

so if its a 2021 why is he running sludge cleaner? or did I miss a joke? I did stop at 3min in it was hard to watch.
Rainman Ray is a funny guy, but maybe it's a Chrysler 200 or something sludger lol. It doesn't take long.. (or whatever a known sludger is.)

Maybe the oil was never changed from new and has like 46,000 miles on it. Just guesses

Only time that I have that problem is when you get a lot of snow on the floor of the vehicle and the outside conditions are just right.
We have those look a like lady bugs around here that would love to get in the interior and set up a apartment

Yes I am perfectly aware of that. Try that at -20 and you will need to let the engine warm up to achieve the same results. The A/C doesn't remove moisture very well at low temps either. Fogging up is much different than icing up.
Ya and so what you're saying is that my suggestion doesn't work for the 10 percent of the US population who happens experience consistent extreme cold.

The horror.

Ya I get it but even in Chicago the avg low during the winter is over 20F.

Ya I get it but even in Chicago the avg low during the winter is over 20F.

"Average" doesn't mean "every day". For Feb. 2021 from NWS data, I find 12 days where the high in Chicago was 20ºF or lower including 2 days with single digit highs.

Over that same period, I count 18 days with lows of 20º or lower, 14 single-digit lows, and of those single digit lows there were two with negative lows and one zero degree low. Average low over that period was 13.86º.

Without seeing where you found that figure, I'm going to guess it was looking at winter as December to February. December can tend to really boost averages in a lot of places when looking at the winter as a whole. That still doesn't change 4-6 weeks of mid-January to either middle or late February when temperatures are generally coldest and you have to deal with low temperatures those days.

I live outside St. Louis. A quick month-by-month look at average lows over Dec-Jan-Feb tells me that you'd probably find an average low over those 3 months in the high 20s(quick look-29 Dec, 23 Jan, 27 Feb). Averages don't mean that we haven't had sporadic lows in the teens and single digits the past couple of weeks, and yes I'd dare say a lot of us handle those days differently than even days in the 20s(again like this morning for me).

Ya and so what you're saying is that my suggestion doesn't work for the 10 percent of the US population who happens experience consistent extreme cold.

The horror.
No. I said it doesn't work in a very cold climate. Never said a thing about the south, Point is needs are different and the warm up is a necessity up here no matter how much wear or fuel use takes place. Sometimes there is no way around it for safety

"Average" doesn't mean "every day". For Feb. 2021 from NWS data, I find 12 days where the high in Chicago was 20ºF or lower including 2 days with single digit highs.

Over that same period, I count 18 days with lows of 20º or lower, 14 single-digit lows, and of those single digit lows there were two with negative lows and one zero degree low. Average low over that period was 13.86º.

Without seeing where you found that figure, I'm going to guess it was looking at winter as December to February. December can tend to really boost averages in a lot of places when looking at the winter as a whole. That still doesn't change 4-6 weeks of mid-January to either middle or late February when temperatures are generally coldest and you have to deal with low temperatures those days.

I live outside St. Louis. A quick month-by-month look at average lows over Dec-Jan-Feb tells me that you'd probably find an average low over those 3 months in the high 20s(quick look-29 Dec, 23 Jan, 27 Feb). Averages don't mean that we haven't had sporadic lows in the teens and single digits the past couple of weeks, and yes I'd dare say a lot of us handle those days differently than even days in the 20s(again like this morning for me).

Well of course but it's still silly to suggest that a particular method should be jettisoned simply because isn't applicable for all scenarios all of the time.

Well of course but it's still silly to suggest that a particular method should be jettisoned simply because isn't applicable for all scenarios all of the time.

Well, first of all the graph you posted shows the point I was making.

Second, your core argument as I understand it seems to be that most people don't live in places where it gets cold enough to worry about temperatures cold enough that your methods won't work.

I cited a couple of metro areas where it routinely is colder than your 20ºF cut-off point. You're focusing on one in particular where the metro area is about 9.5 million people, or roughly 3% of the US population. The two others I cited represent about 2 million people each in their metro area, and that's discounting other population centers plus a decent chunk of people who live outside those metro areas. My own metro area is nowhere near as cold as those places, but still regularly sees single digits where I have to deal with it, and that's a further 3 million people. I could pretty easily keep picking "cold" areas where, again, temperatures below your 20º cut-off do occur with enough regularity to need to deal with them when they happen.

And, again, averages don't mean anything when days outside those averages are a regular event(that's kind of how averages can work). Feel free to hop in my car with the AC on and drive off when it's 3º outside and see if you can keep the windows clear even if you've scraped them. I don't have any intention of doing so. You list your location as Atlanta and say you've lived in areas where lows in the 20s are common. Have you ever started/driven a car in single digit or lower temperatures?

Back