No more supertech at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: chainblu
I wouldn't be totally shocked if, say in a few months, the ST filters reappear on WM shelves. BUT, instead of being a Champ Lab e-core, they are now made by Purolator. If Walmart kept the price point the same as the old ST filter, imagine getting a Purolator at around $2.50 everyday price.

Now that would be a good deal.

This is just me speculating...I don't have any information to base this on.

Thatis certainly logical, hope you're correct!!

Originally Posted By: chainblu
Originally Posted By: zeezee
I saw a guy at Walmart that wanted a FRAM and refused to buy Bosch a few days ago.

That one is easy to explain. The average non-BITOG person isn't interested in buying a $10 filter when they can pick up a 'decent' filter for $3-$4.

I think you mean, the average BITOG person isn't interested in buying a $10 filter when they can pick up a 'decent' filter for $3-$4.

Classic's are here now, $3.27 across all applications. Excellent.

L14610 $3.27, equivalent orange can PH7317 $4.64. This is for Extra Guard not the newer Extra Guard Plus which will now tout a higher efficiency. I'd still buy the Classic even when the orange can plus shows.

They were redoing/rearranging the oil filter section last time I was there but couldn't answer if the Purolator was coming. Not surprising. Just glad the Classics are here.

As for the old ST's perhaps they will show up at Big Lots, or someplace like that.

That's a really good price. AAP has the L15436, for Ecotec engines, for $7.99. I wonder if Walmart has this in stock?

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
wal mart is always busy only because their prices are good on some things..oil is getting pricey at wm

Oil prices aren't just going up at walmart, they also go up at the parts stores. Walmart is almost always best to shop for oil.

I am a little disapointed that there are no more cheapo ST filters. The puro's are good but still a dollar more than the ST could be had for. O well I was shocked when they were gone yesterday and I figured that if anywhere I would find the answer here.

Quote:
.... The puro's are good but still a dollar more than the ST could be had for....

A dollar more? In these parts, majority ST's like the popular ST 7317 have been ~$2.84 for several years, so ~$0.45 difference here. And there is a big difference in media area, ST7317 has ~65"sq. area as opposed to ~100"sq. for equivalent L14610. I'll gladly pay the extra for media area, plus no ecore considerations with any Classic application.

You get what you pay for, but it's true, the ST was cheaper.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
.... The puro's are good but still a dollar more than the ST could be had for....

A dollar more? In these parts, majority ST's like the popular ST 7317 have been ~$2.84 for several years, so ~$0.45 difference here. And there is a big difference in media area, ST7317 has ~65"sq. area as opposed to ~100"sq. for equivalent L14610. I'll gladly pay the extra for media area, plus no ecore considerations with any Classic application.

You get what you pay for, but it's true, the ST was cheaper.

+1 ... I'd pay $1 or more extra for the Purolator over the eCore/combo valve ST knowing the difference inside.

Actually, they'd probably have to pay me to use the ST ... then I'd sell them on ebay and go buy Purolators with the profit.
grin.gif

Here in NW Ohio, town of 5500, Smallish WalMart, the STs are gone. They have Bosch D+, Puro Classics, Frams of various types, small selection of Mopar, MC.

Originally Posted By: Jim Allen
Here in NW Ohio, town of 5500, Smallish WalMart, the STs are gone. They have Bosch D+, Puro Classics, Frams of various types, small selection of Mopar, MC.

The same here in rural NW NJ. Ironically there is an AAP less than 1/4 mile away from the WalMart on the same road. They sell Purolator, Bosch D+ and Fram filters also, although more expensive. I only buy the Motorcraft FL820S from WalMart. It's $3.97 @ WM and around $6.00 at the AAP. Though when running the oil and oil filter promo's AAP is cheaper usually for certain combo's. I get my oil and better filter there for my other vehicles than my truck. I buy the Motorcraft filters at WM because I've used Motorcraft oil and filters on my truck since new and AAP does not offer specials on that. The price at WM for the Motorcraft oil and MC filter at WM has always been really reasonable.

Whimsey

I was pleasantly surprised to see a vast collection of Purolator Classics, Motocrafts, Bosch Distance Plus, and AC Delco filters available. The Purolator was $3.27 straight across the board for every one.

Originally Posted By: ahoier
specially with gas prices at ~2.70-ish and climbing (no, not another gas price rant....lol...)

HA! Gas up here just hit $3.79/gal.

y'all are lucky down there.

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
I would bet that those ST old stock will be used as jobber filters in the Wal Mart auto shops.

I do go to Wally World, but I cherry pick the heck out of those stores, the only stuff I buy there is the price leader items, so they ain't working me over. lol

The SuperTech stock will either be blown out through clearance or Champ (or Purolator) will take it back. Historically, they've clearanced it out.

The problem with cherry picking is that you're not getting WM in the long run. You're actually getting the supplier or manufacturer...see WM won't cut you a break on a loss leader. They'll ask their supplier to do it to support a promotion. So, while the supplier moves more units...WM doesn't take the hit on their margin. So you can shop the price leaders all day, but you'll still give WM the same amount of profit regardless of what you pay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back