No more supertech at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess I'll answer my previous question..

I stopped by my local WM today. The Purolators were still on a pallet waiting to go to the shelf. I asked a manager how much they were going to be and he pulled one out of the pile. It appeared to be about the size of a Fram 3600. It scanned at $3.27. Not bad.

I asked if they were going to clearance the ST filters. He said no, they were just going to box them up and send them back. Shame.

Originally Posted By: chainblu

I stopped by my local WM today. The Purolators were still on a pallet waiting to go to the shelf. I asked a manager how much they were going to be and he pulled one out of the pile. It appeared to be about the size of a Fram 3600. It scanned at $3.27. Not bad.

That's a good price for a Classic. Did you ask the manager why they were getting rid of the STs?

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Originally Posted By: chainblu

That's a good price for a Classic. Did you ask the manager why they were getting rid of the STs?

WM as a company has decided that they don't want all their eggs in one basket regarding the Fram and Champ Labs merger. ST made up a small portion of business and when cost is all that matters to WM...you get Purolator getting a small piece of the shelf where ST used to reside.

BD+ got in last year because Rank was sniffing around the purchase of Fram and WM tried to send a message then.

That'll stick it to the OCOD...superior white Purolators next to them, and for a little less money too. Since I'd speculate the #1 driving factor in the majority of Wal-mart filter buyers is price, the OCOD of death may have to find a better value factor or take a hit to market share. On the other hand, since Fram has done such a good marketing job, the lower price of the Purolator may only support the idea the Fram is better in the minds of many buyers.

Anyway it'll be good to see Puro's at Walmart. Kmart already carries Puro as their #1 filter brand...they even have PureOnes.

K-Mart is a bit higher, but they run sales that make them worthwhile for classics and P1s. I'd like to see them at Wallyworld too though.

Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That'll stick it to the OCOD...superior white Purolators next to them, and for a little less money too. Since I'd speculate the #1 driving factor in the majority of Wal-mart filter buyers is price, the OCOD of death may have to find a better value factor or take a hit to market share. On the other hand, since Fram has done such a good marketing job, the lower price of the Purolator may only support the idea the Fram is better in the minds of many buyers.

Anyway it'll be good to see Puro's at Walmart. Kmart already carries Puro as their #1 filter brand...they even have PureOnes.

One might think that it would hurt Fram, but in reality it just serves as a major annoyance and ultimately will affect us in a few years.

See, Purolator won their space by not only catering to the point that WM didn't want 1 major supplier, they also came in with extremely aggressive pricing. Therefore in short order WM will come back to Fram and demand a cost reduction or they'll throw them out. (They won't). Fram will cave to save the business and WM just increased their margin (which they'll never pass on to you unless sales go into the [censored]). Fram is now making less and Purolator is doing nothing but grabbing volume to eat their costs.

Where that ultimately gets us is once Purolator drives the market down...the off-shore guys will have figured out how to make their very pretty oil filters actually quite well. Then they step in and cut everyone out. AAP is doing it now with Drive Works and every other major retailer is looking at sourcing direct. Once again...NONE of this cost savings will be passed on to you.

Another factor to consider is that Fram does so much business with WM that the amount of pressure that Purolator will place on them is non-existent when it comes to overall dollars. Understand what this truly is...it's not for a consumer ever. It's strictly to give WM a leverage tool in negotiations.

If it's authoritative, then the reasoning for the move to the Classic at Wally is as I speculated in my prior post here.

Quite frankly, I couldn't care less what the reasoning/motivation is for Wally deciding to stock the Puro Classic. It is what it is. If the average price is as posted, then that's a good price for the Classic, currently it would the be lowest everday price including Kmart. But, I'm under no illusions that Puro will get anywhere near the shelf space of the Wally fav Fram varieties, but hopefully the majority of common applications will be available.

I would prefer that they stock the P1 at a low price rather than the BD+, but stocking Classic is a positive move.

Well, WM just started carrying Bosch Distance Plus recently too, so Purolator Classics coming into the fold as a lower tier product from the 'same' maker makes sense.

Quote:
3.27 here in Northern VA also. Sweet.

As of yesterday, no Classics at local Wally and no knowledge by employees of them being stocked in the future. The latter point means nothing though.

$3.27 is a very competitive price.

That's great news. I checked to confirm the other day, and we have them at my 'local' Wallys. $3.28 IIRC. Better product than ST's IMHO. Finally, a filter at Wal-Mart I would buy again.

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Once again...NONE of this cost savings will be passed on to you.

Understand what this truly is...it's not for a consumer ever.

Talk about exposing a harsh reality...

Originally Posted By: BigBuck
3.27 here in Northern VA also. Sweet.
where in NOVA did you see Purolators at Walmart , im in Burke and they dont have them at the WM in Burke

here at my walwart in ohio all the supertechs are on the close out shelf and the purolators are in their place! 3.27! whoo hoo!

Originally Posted By: caravanmike
here at my walwart in ohio all the supertechs are on the close out shelf and the purolators are in their place! 3.27! whoo hoo!

Same here and what I saw today definitely proves that the Classics are there to replace the STs. I was looking at the WM oil filter book. That's the thick book that is chained to the shelf in the oil aisle.

It listed filters as such:

Purolator Classic: Good
Fram Extra Guard: Better
Fram Tough Guard: Better
Fram High Mileage: Best
Fram Xtended Guard: Premium
Bosch Distance Plus: Performance

I post this without comment, but I know some will get a kick out of this.

Fix it for ya.
wink.gif

Fram Extra Guard: Good
Fram Tough Guard: Better
Fram High Mileage: Better
Purolator Classic: Best
Fram Xtended Guard: Premium
Bosch Distance Plus: Performance

No Purolator Classics to be seen at my local Wal-Mart.

So.... it was one more Mopar MO-090 instead (which is a Purolator filter anyway.)

Maybe next time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back