No more supertech at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Hannibal
Originally Posted By: KCJeep
That'll stick it to the OCOD...superior white Purolators next to them, and for a little less money too. Since I'd speculate the #1 driving factor in the majority of Wal-mart filter buyers is price, the OCOD of death may have to find a better value factor or take a hit to market share. On the other hand, since Fram has done such a good marketing job, the lower price of the Purolator may only support the idea the Fram is better in the minds of many buyers.

Anyway it'll be good to see Puro's at Walmart. Kmart already carries Puro as their #1 filter brand...they even have PureOnes.

One might think that it would hurt Fram, but in reality it just serves as a major annoyance and ultimately will affect us in a few years.

See, Purolator won their space by not only catering to the point that WM didn't want 1 major supplier, they also came in with extremely aggressive pricing. Therefore in short order WM will come back to Fram and demand a cost reduction or they'll throw them out. (They won't). Fram will cave to save the business and WM just increased their margin (which they'll never pass on to you unless sales go into the [censored]). Fram is now making less and Purolator is doing nothing but grabbing volume to eat their costs.

Where that ultimately gets us is once Purolator drives the market down...the off-shore guys will have figured out how to make their very pretty oil filters actually quite well. Then they step in and cut everyone out. AAP is doing it now with Drive Works and every other major retailer is looking at sourcing direct. Once again...NONE of this cost savings will be passed on to you.

Another factor to consider is that Fram does so much business with WM that the amount of pressure that Purolator will place on them is non-existent when it comes to overall dollars. Understand what this truly is...it's not for a consumer ever. It's strictly to give WM a leverage tool in negotiations.

+1 That is how Wally works. [censored], GM did it to Delco as well. This is the price point I demand from you, you will deliver it or be banished from the world that is Wally!

My local Wally's are beginning to trickle in the Pur Classics. Ya! And increasing selection of MotorCraft as well. But, Fram still takes up 60% of the shelf space.

Found these made in USA Purolators at Wally World. Seems they took the space that the Stupertechs once held. Of course, there is no cross reference or application guide for them...

IMG_6877.jpg

Quote:
Yep we got them to. Very happy about it. To bad the parts stores around here don't carry them

The parts stores won't beat the ~$3.28 Wally everyday price that folks have post here.

And while the Classic may be 'replacing' the ST on the shelves, there's a day and night difference in media area between the two filters. I cut open a ST7317 filter open here and come up with 67.5" sq of media.

I recently cut open an 7317 AAP Total Grip here and came up with ~100" sq. of media. That would be very similar, likely identical to the Classic L14610 equivalent. Well worth the extra $~0.45 compared to the ST price, imo.

That said, last check the Classic hadn't arrived here yet.

Although i stopped going to wal mart because its not worth it for oil anymore i did ask my cousin to look when he was there and he said they did not have purolator i guess if they did and the price was good i would start going there again in the meantime i use the group 7 filters that i have at the shop also purolators

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
will they start carrying pureones too? that would be awesome.
cheers3.gif
I sure hope so. My local K-Mart doesn't always keep their oils filter shelf stocked as well as Walmart ever does. And I don't want to drive one town over to go to an auto parts store that carries the P1. And ordering online is ok, except the I can get WIX less expensive than P1 if I were to go that route.

Well, so many K-Marts leaving us bound to see Purolator needing to get some shelving at another retail non-autoparts store location.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Fix it for ya.
wink.gif

Fram Extra Guard: Good
Fram Tough Guard: Better
Fram High Mileage: Better
Purolator Classic: Best
Fram Xtended Guard: Premium
Bosch Distance Plus: Performance

+1- Now if we had pure one it would be= Premium

Originally Posted By: jmsjags
will they start carrying pureones too? that would be awesome.

There's no mention of PureOne in the printed application catalogs.

So... it doesn't look favorable at this point.

However, if the sales of Classics ended up bieng higher than expected, then who knows.

As of last week Wally World did not have any Purolaters on it's shelves here in northwestern NJ. But I did notice that their selection of ST oil filters has dwindled to almost nothing. I really hope they keep the Motorcraft filters. Maybe I should buy a few FL-820S just in case they drop the Motorcraft oil filters.

Whimsey

Originally Posted By: Whimsey
As of last week Wally World did not have any Purolaters on it's shelves here in northwestern NJ. But I did notice that their selection of ST oil filters has dwindled to almost nothing. I really hope they keep the Motorcraft filters. Maybe I should buy a few FL-820S just in case they drop the Motorcraft oil filters.

Whimsey

I'd suggest getting the Motorcrafts at Wally World before they disappear. My local Walmart removed the Motorcrafts and STs when the Classics showed up.

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix
Fix it for ya.
wink.gif

Fram Extra Guard: Good
Fram Tough Guard: Better
Fram High Mileage: Better
Purolator Classic: Best
Fram Xtended Guard: Premium
Bosch Distance Plus: Performance

that's not quite right. the tough guard is most likely a better filter than the purolator classic (superior filter element is more important than metal endcaps), and certainly better than the high mileage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back