No more supertech at Walmart!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Too bad we'll never see this change in Canada.

I don't really have a problem with Frams, I would just like some reasonable choices.

Fram absolutely OWNS the market here - there are some other choices, but they aren't easy to find, and they are EXPENSIVE.

Originally Posted By: addyguy
Fram absolutely OWNS the market here - there are some other choices, but they aren't easy to find, and they are EXPENSIVE.

You're not kidding. If I didn't have a decent relationship with a few suppliers here, I'd be in trouble. The only thing I've been able to find that's a quality filter at a decent price for anyone off the street would be Peavey Mart, which has Hastings at a decent price, along with a decent selection. They even have Amsoil filters!

Originally Posted By: Hannibal
antiqueshell said:
The SuperTech stock will either be blown out through clearance or Champ (or Purolator) will take it back. Historically, they've clearanced it out.

Not at MY Walmart. Today I was there looking for clearanced NextGen (different thread). Found none. I inquired about the ST filters and was told they were GONE. Boxed up and sent back to the warehouse. From there, who knows. Maybe they'll be painted blue and stuck in a Delco box.
wink.gif

The SuperTech stock will either be blown out through clearance or Champ (or Purolator) will take it back. Historically, they've clearanced it out.

Why would Purolator what old ST filter?
sick.gif

Originally Posted By: ZeeOSix

sick.gif

They wouldn't want it at all, but it happens all the time when you replace another brand on a shelf. In order to sweeten the deal, Purolator may have offered to lift the inventory so WM wouldn't lose anything in the deal.

Typically after that...Purolator will blow the inventory out somewhere that no one will notice it (quick lube channels usually) or they scrap it.

sick.gif

They wouldn't want it at all, but it happens all the time when you replace another brand on a shelf. In order to sweeten the deal, Purolator may have offered to lift the inventory so WM wouldn't lose anything in the deal.

Typically after that...Purolator will blow the inventory out somewhere that no one will notice it (quick lube channels usually) or they scrap it.

Do you have any proof in fact that this is what happened in this transaction or is this strictly speculation on your part? I'd say it's fairly to very unlikely that Purolator acquired the ST's to "sweeten the deal", and then dispose of them. Champ/Walmart doing it would be much more likely imo.

Also, based on my reading of this thread, it seems that your posts here are more related to some anti Walmart ideology rather than the topic of ST's being replaced with Purolator Classics at very competitive pricing. It seems most here are pleased with this development.

If you don't like Walmart or it's business model, don't shop there. Doesn't change that Puro Classics currently being sold at Wally is good for oil filter buyers.

Originally Posted By: sayjac

sick.gif

Do you have any proof in fact that this is what happened in this transaction or is this strictly speculation on your part? I'd say it's fairly to very unlikely that Purolator acquired the ST's to "sweeten the deal", and then dispose of them. Champ/Walmart doing it would be much more likely imo.

Also, based on my reading of this thread, it seems that your posts here are more related to some anti Walmart ideology rather than the topic of ST's being replaced with Purolator Classics at very competitive pricing. It seems most here are pleased with this development.

If you don't like Walmart or it's business model, don't shop there. Doesn't change that Puro Classics currently being sold at Wally is good for oil filter buyers.

Well...it is the internet so you can believe what you want. I'm pretty confident that I have more knowledge than many on here based on the simple fact that I have worked in the business and have many friends still in the business.

Lifts happen all the time in the filter business. They are a little industry secret...what do you think happens to inventory that magically disappears from a store and is replaced by another? Do you think the displaced vendor is going to help that retailer out and take it back after being told they won't sell anymore to them? Not unless it's in the vendor agreement or they have other business there they're worried about losing.

I have no issue with WM as a general store. Actually I shop there quite often. I was simply letting everyone understand the workings behind it. People want to believe that WM cares about what you or I want...that's not how it is. They care about $$$. The Purolator addition, while potentially well received on this site, is strictly leverage based for WM.

I can tell you without getting into too much trouble...I've actually met the WM buyer for filtration. I can also tell you that he could care less about your choices...he needs leverage to keep his margins high and the bottom line at WM going up.

Just my .02...this is the internet though so take it for what it's worth.

^^^^Didn't really answer my first question, which answers my question.

Walmart is in business to make money, no surprise there. I believe most reading here aren't under any illusion about their objective.

As I said before, I couldn't care less what their reason is for replacing the ST's with the Classic. Doesn't change the fact that most, including myself, currently see it as positive for the oil filter buyer. The reasoning is extraneous to me.

I'm not sure how you expect me to prove it to "answer your question." Should I have a picture snapped at Purolator's receiving docks when the ST product arrives? I told you a limited reason as to how "I knew." I can't and won't provide all details surrounding my sources. To say I didn't answer your question is thin in my opinion.

I never said I wasn't, but I'm glad you're satisfied with Purolator being added to the WM line.

Huh??? Your prior posts said "Champ ('or' Purolator) will take it back." Then to ZO's follow up query you said, "to sweeten the deal, Purolator 'may' have offered to "lift" the inventory so Walmart wouldn't lose anything on the deal."

My question dealt specifically with the Classic replacing the ST's, and no hypotheticals. So based on some information you have, you are now definitely saying that Purolator did take the ST's for disposal as an attempt to "sweeten the deal" and they will be arriving at the Purolator receiving docks. Interesting, should have said that to begin with if that's what you meant. No interest in "your sources", just the accuracy.

As for your other posts regarding the Purolator Classic decision not being related to the interests of the customer, just have to look at the space the orange can varieties have been given over the years. Makes one wonder what Fram has done to "sweeten the deal" to get all that shelf space.
wink.gif

So, while your information can be illuminating as to how Walmart works, of which much has been written, not sure what you want the reader to do with it.
21.gif

Back to the topic, at this point, Wally now selling Classic's in place of ST's is a positive for the consumer.

Not at MY Walmart. Today I was there looking for clearanced NextGen (different thread). Found none. I inquired about the ST filters and was told they were GONE. Boxed up and sent back to the warehouse. From there, who knows. Maybe they'll be painted blue and stuck in a Delco box.
wink.gif
[/quote]

I looked at AC/Delco filter today at walmart right next to the purolator classic filters. If the Delco filter they have at Walmart is like the ST filter than we won't be missing much( Ecore desing on Delco) that I seen. Purolator classic for $3.24 isn't to shabby of a price.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: 84zmyfavorite
I want Purolator Filters at my Wal_Mart! Warshingtonz always Last. Bosch Distance+3500 for High Output Jeep 4.0s!

Take a drive to Ephrata. They have them up the wazoo there.

Quote:
Honestly, does anyone really care what WalMart did with the Supertech filters??????

Nope, not really. Just like I don't care why Walmart decided start carrying the Puro Classic instead of the ST. Nor do I care whether the decision was made in the best interest of Walmart customers, or for a discussion of Walmart business practices in this thread. The important point is that it's a positive one for Wally oil filter cutomers.

All that said, a somewhat vague and surprising assertion was made regarding their disposal which led to further questions.

Originally Posted By: sayjac
^^^^Didn't really answer my first question, which answers my question.

Walmart is in business to make money, no surprise there. I believe most reading here aren't under any illusion about their objective.

As I said before, I couldn't care less what their reason is for replacing the ST's with the Classic. Doesn't change the fact that most, including myself, currently see it as positive for the oil filter buyer. The reasoning is extraneous to me.

I really don't see how having Purolator changes anything for a filter buyer at Walmart.

Originally Posted By: postjeeprcr
........ I really don't see how having Purolator changes anything for a filter buyer at Walmart.

Really?

Just a several ways it changes it. Example, ST7317 ~65" sq. with lower efficiency, versus Purolator L14610 ~100" sq. of media. And, no ST ecore considerations.

PL14610, and all Classics, $3.27. Equivalent orange can PH7317 $4.64 cents. Orange can construction worth ~$1.35+ more. Hmmmmm.

Based on the majority of comments here, seems most here have no problem seeing the positives in the change.

...+1 I'd pay $1 or more extra for the Purolator over the eCore/combo valve ST knowing the difference inside.

Actually, they'd probably have to pay me to use the ST ... then I'd sell them on ebay and go buy Purolators with the profit.
grin.gif

Interesting points.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back