No more K&N oil filters foe me!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I found K&N filters to be a poor choice on my Tundra V-8 (2UZ-FE). I tried two, and both had serious start-up noises even on 70F mornings. Leaking ADBV IMO. I've found PureOne to have much better results, followed closely by Wix. OEM filters are a very poor choice.

Good thread, I'll have to test my small filter collection and see how they rate.

BTW, a related item, I was cutting apart a PureOne filter last night and had to stop and put it to the side to let it drain, it was still full of oil after sitting (threaded side down) on my oil collection pan for about 2 weeks. I mean it was FULL OF OIL, not just residual drops and drips. I think that one passed the drainback test!!!!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: ridgerunner
Originally Posted By: Bowser
Originally Posted By: river_rat
I ALWAYS blow into the center hole and see if air hisses out before I accept a filter. About 1/3 leak air...all brands.

I stopped using Amsoil Ea's several years ago for the same reason. Also, they would leak oil through the ADBV when I plugged the center hole and placed the filter on its side or inverted. The PureOne's I tested did not. This bench test was conducted on new and used filters of both brands.

I have used two different Ea's lately and one leaks like a seive and the other is totaly sealed. They are the EaO13 and EaO29. Both have silicone ADBV's. I can't remember which one is which right now but the one that leaks air is made in Mexico and has the BPV on the dome end (fits v6 GranAm). Safe to say that not all EaO's are created equal! BTW, all my MC FL1A's and PF52's seal great. My ST's & Frams do not.

Ok, I checked those Amsoil filters last night. The EaO 13 is the better filter (passes blow test). The EaO 29 is the "cheaper", made in Mexico filter that fails the blow test.

I don't know about Volvo, but my Ecotec does. When you remove the cartridge, it allows more oil to flow back to the oil pan.

Originally Posted By: NHHEMI

The 4.0L Toyota V6 is a notoriously picky engine in regards to oil filters. The one in my 05 Tacoma was extremely picky or you got serious valve train clatter at all times not just startup. Even the OE filte did it. Basd on what others on the Toyota forums were experiencing as far as success I went with a M1 filter and it quieted the noise down like 90%+.

I've used the Toyota filter (YZZD3) on my 05 Tacoma (4.0L V6) since new and have never heard any startup engine noises. Even if I let the truck sit for a week or more, no startup noise. Guess I've been luck and have got good OEM filters.

Originally Posted By: [RT
ProjUltraZ]one thing GM did right in their V8s is vertical mount oil filters. straight up and no drain out, more like drain in

Yep, they technically wouldn't even need an ADBV.

Originally Posted By: SuperBusa
ProjUltraZ]one thing GM did right in their V8s is vertical mount oil filters. straight up and no drain out, more like drain in

What if the vehicle rolls over?

Originally Posted By: Hethaerto
Originally Posted By: SuperBusa

What if the vehicle rolls over?

If the vehicle rolls over then the oil filter not having an ADBV is the least of your worries.

Originally Posted By: river_rat
..... Showed the counter guy that is leaked air and told him I didn't want it because it would leak the oil out and give dry starts. Got another off the shelf. Tested it in front of him (it held) and bought it. I know [censored] well, he put the defective one back on the shelf after I left because he doesn't probably comprehend what the drainback valve is or what it does for your engine.

I can just imagine the story he told at the dinner table that night: "You wouldn't believe this, we had some whackjob come in the store blowing in oil filters, thinking they will leak if he don't!!"
crackmeup2.gif

I have access to a shelf full of Napa Gold, ac delco, mobil 1 and
oem oil filters here and I just spent 15 minutes blowing into dozens of them, the variance is amazing, even between identical part numbers on all 4 brands there are major differences, I never thought of this before, but luckly I can do this at work If my wife saw me doing it it might be the straw that broke the camels back :)

Originally Posted By: law3500
...the variance is amazing, even between identical part numbers on all 4 brands there are major differences...

It is amazing. It's not definite proof of filter usefulness, but I want mine to seal for air.

My wife is used to my shananagans.

Originally Posted By: law3500
I have access to a shelf full of Napa Gold, ac delco, mobil 1 and
oem oil filters here and I just spent 15 minutes blowing into dozens of them, the variance is amazing, even between identical part numbers on all 4 brands there are major differences, I never thought of this before, but luckly I can do this at work If my wife saw me doing it it might be the straw that broke the camels back :)
Sick, sick, people we are...
crazy2.gif

BTW - I used K&N filters for a number of years on my Ford Modulars because the nut on the end made it easier to put on/take off. The filter location on mod engines in Expeditions is just awful as regards filter access.

My wife just caught me blowing into a Royal Purple filter. She just rolled her eyes and walked past the door.

What I wonder is whether a good heating up, or a few of them, will change things? I wonder if the valve need a few heating and cooling cycles to let the valve "conform" better (for lack of any better terminology). If it does the rattle initially, would it be better to run it for a while before condemning it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back