K&N not giving out their oil filter specs

I contacted K&N regarding their HP line of filters to get some more info after watching the Engine Masters oil filter shootout episode. The show stated a 10bmicron rating, and descriptions on Scummit's website also states that, but I wanted to get actual data from the source.

I sent a couple emails to the tech support, and they couldn't even answer those questions. They just say they're built to meet or exceed oem specs. I wouldn't consider using their products if even they don't know what's in it.

Screenshot_20240207_002634_Gmail.jpg

Screenshot_20240207_094146_Gmail.jpg

They may not be allowed to share that information for whatever reason. Someone at the company knows the ratings.

You didnt share your full question so its impossible to understand why they responded the way they did.

Tech Support (and any Q/A mailbox) is generally going to give generic answers to protect themselves and the company.

Last edited:
True, but that's not a good way to inspire confidence in customers.
I’m kind of confused by your response. I get that you were interested and maybe even a prior customer. Something made you originally buy it, what was the reason? Now, that you get a response that they won’t share their filter info; if you not having the info is a showstopper, why complain? They’re obviously not going to change policy if they completely distance themselves in the response (which they did).

Drop it in the circular file and move on to another manufacturer that does share data and provide specs. There’s plenty of manufacturers who provide better filters AND all the filtration data.

I’m kind of confused by your response. I get that you were interested and maybe even a prior customer. Something made you originally buy it, what was the reason? Now, that you get a response that they won’t share their filter info; if you not having the info is a showstopper, why complain? They’re obviously not going to change policy if they completely distance themselves in the response (which they did).

Drop it in the circular file and move on to another manufacturer that does share data and provide specs. There’s plenty of manufacturers who provide better filters AND all the filtration data.

My reason for contacting them was because my engine builder installs K&N HP filters on their engines. I just wanted more info on their performance. I attached the rest of the initial email with what I asked.

oil.jpg

Interesting, they are simply admitting they dont have the micron or flow rate technical information. You could press and ask your inquiry to be forwarded to product engineer, or someone who does have the information. Its too bad they are not thinking ahead, but maybe they probably arent paid enough to care :(

I contacted K&N regarding their HP line of filters to get some more info after watching the Engine Masters oil filter shootout episode. The show stated a 10bmicron rating, and descriptions on Scummit's website also states that, but I wanted to get actual data from the source.

I sent a couple emails to the tech support, and they couldn't even answer those questions. They just say they're built to meet or exceed oem specs. I wouldn't consider using their products if even they don't know what's in it.

View attachment 202329

View attachment 202330
10b Micron Rating, does the Oil Filter catch 100% of the particles at 10 microns, or does it catch like 30% of the particles at 10 microns. You can call there Tech Support, but it will be on a recorded line

10b Micron Rating, does the Oil Filter catch 100% of the particles at 10 microns, or does it catch like 30% of the particles at 10 microns. You can call there Tech Support, but it will be on a recorded line
Yep, without a corresponding efficiency rating a micron level is meaningless. As I've said before, my window screen is a 20-micron filter.

The K&N uses a synthetic blend media that looks very similar to the PurolatorOne and Mobil 1. The media looks very similar even under a microscope (Whip City Wrencher youtube videos). Those filters are generally 99% efficient at 25-30 micron, and I'd expect the K&N to be in this range as well. The Supertech also seems to have the same media, but no micron rating available.

All of these filters should be quite efficient. If you want a filter with a micron rating for the exact model, you can contact Purolator for a data sheet for the specific PurolatorOne model for your vehicle.

They don't know-and their manufacturer (generally FB Champ) says it's "proprietary"! I had the same question about their black Premium line of filters, that's the answer I got. And I haven't bought ANYTHING K&N SINCE...

Not stuff worth getting hung up on. They’re premium filters as mentioned it’s a champ labs xl filter. Do you really need the wrench-off nut?
The wrench-off nut is a serious liability if the filter is going to be left on any length of time-some tracks/strips have actually banned them due to the cracking of the spot welds & possible rusting where the "nut" is attached. Not worth their "premium" price!

The wrench-off nut is a serious liability if the filter is going to be left on any length of time-some tracks/strips have actually banned them due to the cracking of the spot welds & possible rusting where the "nut" is attached. Not worth their "premium" price!
That’s right. Doesn’t bait and hook me at all.

Back