Nissan rust issues on Today Show

Status
Not open for further replies.
I guess that isn't normal anymore. I had a late 70's Lebaron in NY that you could see the road through the floor by the early 80's.

I was in a customers non descript GM car that was probably 10 years old in PA, there were holes in the floor, that was in '10.

I thought that was normal in those areas.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
This is the difference between Toyota(and somwhat Honda) from Nissan.

Toyota/Honda pay for replacement of items similar to this well out of warranty to maintain face while third tier makers like Nissan could care less.

Except for those Honda auto trannies that people sued them over. And even the RSX-S/8th Si's has notorious grinding tranny issues.

Originally Posted By: zzyzzx
If you for some reason have to have a Japanese branded car, buy a good one like a Honda or Toyota.

If you want to pay a higher markup for negligible quality differences, except maybe word of mouth, sure. Never any had issues with all the Nissans my extended family and friends have owned.

My 1995 Acura had a lot of body rust and rust on the fuel and brake lines and suspension parts but absolutely no rust on either floorpan. Strange. In fact, I've always purchased older cars until I got my Scion and I've never had floorpan rust. I figured this was something they figured out by time the 90s rolled around.

Originally Posted By: Traction
If they would limit salt usage it would collectively save billions of dollars in damage to vehicles, roads, bridges, and the environment. In the snow belt, MAKE WINTER TIRES MANDATORY!!! And more driver education of course.

Ding, ding, ding!

This is the problem drivers in the USA REFUSE to be responsible
for their own safety, as a result it costs them in damaged vehicles from excessive use of salt!

Originally Posted By: antiqueshell
If they would limit salt usage it would collectively save billions of dollars in damage to vehicles, roads, bridges, and the environment. In the snow belt, MAKE WINTER TIRES MANDATORY!!! And more driver education of course.

Ding, ding, ding!

for their own safety, as a result it costs them in damaged vehicles from excessive use of salt!

Winter tires still do not alleviate the need for treated roads. Winter tires work better then non-winters on ice however still cannot touch a candle to all-seasons in (stopping or turning) running on wet or dry roads. Salt is pretty much required in my locale as typical winters involve rain/snow mixtures at freezing marks and roads you cannot stand on untreated.

Nissan has a design flaw(in one particular model) in there vehicles for salt environments. ALL car makers have flaws along the way nothing new, humans design them and mostly make them.

Nissan has failed with the Pathfinder/QX-4 previously where suspension collapses led to recall of 1996-2004 vehicles was done in 2011 but NHSTA forced them.

Maybe a few folks have to loose limbs sadly before Nissan and NHSTA act. A sad story on ABC nightly news like the Ford Windstar death due to rotted suspension may light a fire under someone's rear and get it addressed.

Why do Chevy trucks continue to rust out at the cab corners? They're can't rectify that problem somehow? Sure they could...

Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
.....Nissan said it has no plans to order a recall and notes that corrosion in older cars is not unusual.

"This issue is not considered a safety defect by Nissan or the government agency that administers safety recalls," the automaker said in a statement.....

shocked2.gif
What a shock. NOT!

2002-2006 Altimas, yep no surprise here with Nissan. When I owned my 03 Altima 2.5L before the precat puked and terminated the engine @ ~80k miles, Nissan sent a warning on the rear sub frame/suspension saying it could rust out and/or crack prematurely. They did extend the warranty on the frame because they had to as it was considered a "safety issue".

But as the link below* shows though, it was moot point as the Nissan 2.5L precat failed destroying the engine. Another known issue to Nissan, but not considered a safety issue and they also left owners stranded and with no recourse. So Nissan's response here is no surprise to me, typical. Based on my personal experience, a trash company that I will never do business with again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2139188&page=all

I had the subframe recall done on mine.. I had a 2002 3.5SE.
I loved that car and I miss it actually, but I only owned it as late as 2007 and it had no issues at 5 years old. I did have it KROWN'd in the few years I owned it though.

Originally Posted By: rjundi
Originally Posted By: antiqueshell

Ding, ding, ding!

Winter tires still do not alleviate the need for treated roads. Winter tires work better then non-winters on ice however still cannot touch a candle to all-seasons in (stopping or turning) running on wet or dry roads. Salt is pretty much required in my locale as typical winters involve rain/snow mixtures at freezing marks and roads you cannot stand on untreated.

Not only that, but could you imagine what traffic would be like if every inkling of a storm made people drive half as fast--or slower?

Sure sometimes salt is needed, but I have seen them put down more salt than we got in snow before. I have seen them spraying roads with the sun out, 50 degrees, and no snow in sight for 3 days. By then it has all turned to dust and blown away. Many time when they attempt to pre-treat it actually makes conditions worse. Dry snow, with wind, normally it would just blow off the road, but instead it hits the salt, and turns to ice!. So, yes salt will save some drivers, but it ruins ALL cars in the process. Nobody wants to slow down and be careful. The salty cars that don't crash are driving around with corroded parts which is just as dangerous in the long run. I thought I also read that salt was a contributing factor that caused the interstate bridge to collapse into the river in Minneapolis.

Last edited:
Around here they don't even bother plowing any more. They just salt the living daylights out of the road. Then leave them alone until after the storm.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
Originally Posted By: sayjac
Quote:
.....Nissan said it has no plans to order a recall and notes that corrosion in older cars is not unusual.

"This issue is not considered a safety defect by Nissan or the government agency that administers safety recalls," the automaker said in a statement.....

shocked2.gif
What a shock. NOT!

2002-2006 Altimas, yep no surprise here with Nissan. When I owned my 03 Altima 2.5L before the precat puked and terminated the engine @ ~80k miles, Nissan sent a warning on the rear sub frame/suspension saying it could rust out and/or crack prematurely. They did extend the warranty on the frame because they had to as it was considered a "safety issue".

But as the link below* shows though, it was moot point as the Nissan 2.5L precat failed destroying the engine. Another known issue to Nissan, but not considered a safety issue and they also left owners stranded and with no recourse. So Nissan's response here is no surprise to me, typical. Based on my personal experience, a trash company that I will never do business with again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2139188&page=all

I had the subframe recall done on mine.. I had a 2002 3.5SE.
I loved that car and I miss it actually, but I only owned it as late as 2007 and it had no issues at 5 years old. I did have it KROWN'd in the few years I owned it though.

Two things. In the 2002-03 model, engine wise the 3.5L was the one to own. No leap for me to say the any 2002-03 2.5L Altima or Sentra that didn't have the precats bored out, the engine failed because of them at some point no matter the maintenance history. But doing that was against EPA emission laws. Hindsight being 20-20 I'd have done that or traded the car before it happened. Likely the latter as altering the emissions wouldn't have set well with me, that and finding a 'reliable' shop to do it would have been difficult.

And had I kept the vehicle only 5 years with the miles I drove and not being an aggressive driver, I'd have never known the precats failed and that the free oil and filter change "recall" was completely bogus on the part of Nissan. I trusted them.

Live and learn.

That is a big expense (cost of tires & installation) that a lot of folks living paycheck to paycheck would struggle with. Also, no matter if you have high end snow tires, or baldies from the used tire shop - salted roads are less slick than unsalted roads, logic dictates salted roads are safer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back