Nissan rust issues on Today Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/rust-n333291

BY TOM COSTELLO AND TALESHA REYNOLDS
Hundreds of motorists have complained to the feds that the bottoms of their older-model Nissan Altimas are rusting through, potentially putting their feet awfully close to the road.

It sounds like a scene out of a certain cartoon set in Bedrock, but the drivers say there is nothing funny about this problem.

"I'm not Fred Flintstone. This is not a good thing," Marie DeMaria, a Chicago-area realtor, told NBC News after her mechanic examined the corrosion on the floor pan of her 2005 Altima.

"This is not safe. I drive every day for a living. This is very nerve-racking for me to be driving now."

The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has received more than 400 complaints of rusted-out Altimas rolled out between 2002 and 2006.

Some came from states that have heavy snow, where road salt can eat away at metal — but not all of them. And Nissan Maximas from the same period had far fewer complaints.

The cause is unknown, though several mechanics told NBC News they think a design flaw may be preventing water from draining, causing floor pans to rot from the inside out.

Image: Composite image of rust on Nissan Altima cars NBC NEWS
Hundreds of Nissan owners have complained about their 2002-2006 Altimas rusting out.
Nissan said it has no plans to order a recall and notes that corrosion in older cars is not unusual.

"This issue is not considered a safety defect by Nissan or the government agency that administers safety recalls," the automaker said in a statement.

Although only one injury related to a rusty Altima has been reported to NHTSA, DeMaria's mechanic, Zoran Sarich, said the potential for more exists.

"Sooner or later, you're going to be able to put your feet through the floor," he said.

Sarich said DeMaria's car wasn't the first Altima he had seen with a rusty floor.

"I have a couple of other customers with the same exact car and the same issues," he said.

Follow NBC News Investigations on Twitter and Facebook

Bill Eveland, who owns a body shop in Shawnee Mission, Kansas, told NBC affiliate KSHB that it can cost up to $5,000 to replace a floorboard — often more than the car's book value.

"Once it is out of the warranty period, [Nissan] doesn't have any legal obligation," Eveland said. "It becomes more of a customer service issue of whether they want to deal with it or not."

Drivers like Herb Brown, who owns a 2006 Altima, feel like they're stuck with a car that costs too much to fix and isn't safe enough to sell.

"I mean who would want to buy a car with holes in the floor boards?" he said.

Brown, who lives in Overland Park, Kansas, said he hopes Nissan puts its recall decision in reverse.

"I've had three Nissans in my life. I love the car, but if they don't make this right, I won't get another one," he told KSHB.

TOM COSTELLO
Tom Costello is an NBC News correspondent based in Washington, DC. He reports daily for the TODAY Show,... Expand Bio

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Floorboards rusting out?

As someone who has always been a Jeep person, I thought this was completely normal?

I hear you, but on a 2006?

I'd expect rust, but not just carpet separating me from the pavement.

This is the difference between Toyota(and somwhat Honda) from Nissan.

Toyota/Honda pay for replacement of items similar to this well out of warranty to maintain face while third tier makers like Nissan could care less.

Originally Posted By: JTK
Originally Posted By: Miller88
Floorboards rusting out?

As someone who has always been a Jeep person, I thought this was completely normal?

I hear you, but on a 2006?

I'd expect rust, but not just carpet separating me from the pavement.

True. I don't think I have seen it on a 9 year old Jeep before, but seen many crusty 15 year old Jeeps.

There was a guy on saturnfans from upstate NY that saw rust in his Altima after about 5 years. His opinion is that the floorboards are layered and there is an airspace between layers that traps salt.

It's like people are shocked cars in the rust belt.... get this... rust. New, old, it will rust. When I was in Pittsburgh last week I saw cars from 2009 that were rusting, notably one was a Mercedes Van for FedEx, it was trashed.

Rust issue is well know problem in ANY car up north. heavy salt road area... since car is low to the ground, it have more risk of gettin salt under their car. When we live up north, we have ford F150, toyota camry , and honda accord, all rust at the bottom and door. When we move down south, I havent seen any rust in all my car I bought down here.

If they show altima rust thru floor in southern area, then I do believe its an issue, but they only show car up norther area, it can pretty much happen to all cars up there. some take longer to complete rust out, some may take faster. but eventually most northern cars will rust out anyway.

Originally Posted By: Delta
It's like people are shocked cars in the rust belt.... get this... rust. New, old, it will rust. When I was in Pittsburgh last week I saw cars from 2009 that were rusting, notably one was a Mercedes Van for FedEx, it was trashed.

I've lived in the rust belt my entire life and I've seen cars way older, and I own one that has seen 16 Northern Ohio winters, that doesn't have rust to the degree that the floor boards are gone.

So yes, this merits shock and awe.

Originally Posted By: Delta

Rusting at that level most certainly is not normal. I've had cars from the 40's or 50's do that, but there is no reason a 2005 or 2006 should rust like that in such a short time period.
I had a 2006 Elantra that was always used in the snow/salt belt and the floorboards never rusted. I have a 1999 Dakota that is used when there is snow/ice/salt and the floorboards are not rusted. I had a 1999 full size Dodge pickup that was used when there was snow/ice/salt and the floorboards were not rusted. We have a 2006 Subaru that is used when there is snow/ice/salt, and the floorboards are not rusted.

I can understand it in a 30 year old vehicle, but one that's 10 years or less is not normal whatsoever.

Quote:
.....Nissan said it has no plans to order a recall and notes that corrosion in older cars is not unusual.

"This issue is not considered a safety defect by Nissan or the government agency that administers safety recalls," the automaker said in a statement.....

shocked2.gif
What a shock. NOT!

2002-2006 Altimas, yep no surprise here with Nissan. When I owned my 03 Altima 2.5L before the precat puked and terminated the engine @ ~80k miles, Nissan sent a warning on the rear sub frame/suspension saying it could rust out and/or crack prematurely. They did extend the warranty on the frame because they had to as it was considered a "safety issue".

But as the link below* shows though, it was moot point as the Nissan 2.5L precat failed destroying the engine. Another known issue to Nissan, but not considered a safety issue and they also left owners stranded and with no recourse. So Nissan's response here is no surprise to me, typical. Based on my personal experience, a trash company that I will never do business with again.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2139188&page=all

Its ten years old. Junk yard time. When I was younger all the floorboards were toast after 10 years.. Reacall Subarususpension component rusting out and front wheels falling off.

Remember all the TACOMA frames rusting out. That's a Toyota. There are piles of frames old and new still at my Toyota dealer.

I wish they didn't put so much "salt" on the road.

My Rogue just got recalled ( I got a letter from Nissan) for front floorboards trapping moisture and failing a wire harness connector w/ possible short. Don t know specifics.

Last edited:
The 2001 and back generation rusted far worse.Rockers and wheelwells totally blown away regularly.

In the 60s-70s cars were paneled with mild steel that was typically not treated for corrosion resistance. Most modern cars now are made with a better quality steel that has been treated and/or dipped in some type of corrosion preventative treatment. Modern cars at least since 2000 are also better designed to not trap moisture as much as older designs. The Nissan Altima may have either lower quality anti-corrosion treatment on body panels and/or inadequate design to prevent rust from trapped moisture.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: MetalSlug
I havent seen any rust in all my car I bought down here.

If they show altima rust thru floor in southern area, then I do believe its an issue, but they only show car up norther area...

They said and showed a map where most cases were up north, but not all. Some were in the deep south and Texas etc.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Its ten years old. Junk yard time.....

Guess that means I need to junk my daughter's 01 Civic purchased new with ~220k miles and no detectable rust issues. And my 01 Tacoma as noted below with a frame that looks great, no rust issues.

Quote:
Remember all the TACOMA frames rusting out. That's a Toyota. There are piles of frames old and new still at my Toyota dealer.

As noted, own one with zero frame rust issues. And Toyota either bought out the owners of those trucks with rust issues with a cash payout or replaced the frame.

Didn't do the Nissan two step like on this issue and precats saying not a "safety issue." Not sticking up for Toyota, just providing the rest of the story.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back