Next vehicle search

"Overall, I like sporty sedans".
Blackwing, 'nuff said
Precisely what I'm stuck on. I've only seen one or two in traffic. Haven't been to a dealership or even spotted one parked in the far corner of a supermarket lot. I'm not Cadillac guy or really a fan of most GM products. But this little gem is special.

Looking for a new ride when it's the last thing on your radar....sucks. Especially in these market conditions.

My beloved Kia Stinger GT2 met it's demise back on 11/10 when an underinsured, unlicensed driver attempted a left turn in front of me - while I was rolling around 40mph. Sustained pretty significant front end damage, airbags deployed, etc. I'm still awaiting a valuation from my insurance.

As I navigate the ridiculous process of injuries and insurance coverages from the wreck, my mind is trying to narrow down the list of contenders. Buying new is the most likely avenue, but will consider CPO.

'23 Chevy Colorado ZR2: I liked the first gen/face-lift. Now I really like this new one that's hitting dealer lots soon. I applied for a federal job that requires extensive regional travel. This potential suitor would rack up considerable highway miles and be subject to significant off-road use around railroad tracks. If I get the federal job, this is the winner.

'23 Cadillac CT4V Blackwing: this one really intrigues me. Manual transmission and turbo V6. Checks all the boxes. $70K+ investment that will depreciate slow and may likely appreciate with time.

Another loaded Kia Stinger GT2. I loved my '18 and have not ruled out purchasing a new one. Had a fair amount of aftermarket and custom pieces on the car that made it quite enjoyable. My only major hurdle here would be paying what they're selling for now. I bought mine new at $40K with a $50K sticker. They're now selling for $55K. I certainly would not pay an additional fifteen large for the same car four years later.

'23 Ford Mustang Mach 1: because it's the last one before the next gen atrocity is released. Combo of V8/6MT is quickly approaching extinction and I'd be perfectly fine with this pony in my stable.

'23 Audi RS3 or RS5: both cool toys but the 3 is small and the 5 is around around $90K.

Honorable mentions: Corolla GR and new Civic Type R. Both very unlikely, but they'd probably be fun toys to beat on.

$80K is my max. What else should I look at?

So are you saying the Stinger isn't worth the extra 15 large? OR-are you saying you have a "psychological thing" about paying that much more? By your own admission you could afford it.
Just curious.

So are you saying the Stinger isn't worth the extra 15 large? OR-are you saying you have a "psychological thing" about paying that much more? By your own admission you could afford it.
Just curious.
After paying 40, I'd feel as if I'm getting cheated by getting the exact same model/options and paying 15 more. I truly enjoyed the four years of ownership. I have a full compliment of suspension and brake upgrades sitting in the attic that were to be installed this month. My gripes with the car were very minor. Furthermore, Kia dealerships are awful. Only visited for the occasional recall or warranty stuff, but it always felt like a trip to Kmart. Now should a dealer come down significantly under MSRP, I'd bite.

Drive a Lexus GS350 F Sport. Dependable as there is, and fun to drive. Kinda sucks the gas, though.
Is the interior tech modern? Namely the audio/screens? I've detailed a number of cars and SUVs and many elements seemed dated. But they do make some beautiful, well-engineered vehicles. Never put much thought into a Lexus, but I'm not opposed to looking.

Out of your list I would choose the Mustang. I think it would be the most fun to drive of all the ones you listed.

But I would never use any of those high end expensive cars as a "work car". If you buy something that nice (and potentially rare), use an old fuel sipping back-up beater for work related driving.

Lexus has a lovely IS500 F Sport Performance. Wow. Further reading necessary.
The IS is just too small. The GS is discontinued, and the GPS is not Car Play/Android Auto. You will likely be disappointed if you are used to the latest Infotainment systems. But oyu won't find a more dependable car. I just put a new set of Michelin PS4 rubber on ours.
gs350.jpg

Out of your list I would choose the Mustang. I think it would be the most fun to drive of all the ones you listed.

But I would never use any of those high end expensive cars as a "work car". If you buy something that nice (and potentially rare), use an old fuel sipping back-up beater for work related driving.
The new Mach 1 is a very compelling option. It would not be used as the sole work commuter, nor would any other choice. I very much enjoy driving the CC still. I typically split commuting evenly between the Stinger and CC. I just clicked over 40K miles in 49 months with the Kia. Roughly a quarter of that was road trips.

What I despise about driving in the metro area here is the number of drivers thinking they're some F1 star in a 20yr old Nissan with no tags. I've now had half a dozen damages to my cars in just over 8yrs. All from other motorists. Of course, terrible drivers are everywhere. But cities just have the power of numbers. Luckily, I live way out on the extreme edge of the metro. Unfortunately, my job is in downtown Charlotte.

The IS is just too small. The GS is discontinued, and the GPS is not Car Play/Android Auto. You will likely be disappointed if you are used to the latest Infotainment systems. But oyu won't find a more dependable car. I just put a new set of Michelin PS4 rubber on ours.
View attachment 129597
The IS is that tight inside?

Just to state the obvious, the Stinger has a longer wheelbase than the G70.

The G70 and Lexus IS both have cramped rear seats. If rear seat space is a priority, I’d leave the G70 and IS out of the equation.

Just to state the obvious, the Stinger has a longer wheelbase than the G70.

The G70 and Lexus IS both have cramped rear seats. If rear seat space is a priority, I’d leave the G70 and IS out of the equation.
Yep understood. Rear seat space isn't a deal breaker, as I rarely have anyone back there. I'll likely take a closer look at IS just out of curiosity.

“ '23 Ford Mustang Mach 1: because it's the last one before the next gen atrocity is released. Combo of V8/6MT is quickly approaching extinction and I'd be perfectly fine with this pony in my stable. “

Great choice, especially with track pack.
Exhaust, E85 and tune can gets you to 500 RWHP, so it’s a fun car without any boost.

The IS is that tight inside?

The center console is very wide - almost if not wider than my focus (a fiesta feels like it has more interior room.) It's definitely one of the cars that is way smaller on the inside than it looks on the outside. Still a nice car though and definitely worth a look; especially if there's an IS500 on the lot!

Back