Bought a 2021 Stinger GT2

I mentioned before that we were thinking of buying a new K5 or Stinger.

We ended up stopping at the dealer yesterday. They only had one K5 with the 2.5T on the floor and they moved it outside for us to test.
It rode very well and that new 2.5T has some punch! Definitely quicker than the 2.0T in our SXL. It was black, which we're not huge fans, but looked good with what we called the Star Wars Empire wheels.
I can't believe how rare these 2.5T K5's currently are. There was only one other dealer I could find that had a red one. The rest were 1.6T's

The dealer had six Stingers on the lot, two 2.5T's and four 3.3T's (two 21's and two 22's). The two '22 3.3T's were sold from checking the day before! We test drove a white '21 3.3T with black leather and my wife ended up choosing the 2021 GT2, ceramic silver and red interior.

The test drive was fun. These things grab and pull you. My wife looked like a kid in a candy store. The red interior with the ceramic silver exterior is an awesome match. We just love the color. It seems to accent the Brembo's poking through the wheels too. It's going to be a nice little hot rod commuter.
The sales experience was so-so. The salesperson told us that all vehicles are selling over sticker due to chip shortages. I could hear the guy next to us buying a Telluride for $5K over sticker. Huh? Not us! Long story short, my wife gave them a number and we bought for $7K under sticker. She's Awesome!

We take delivery on Tuesday and I know I'll probably post up for oil recommendations. Can't wait.

I mentioned before that we were thinking of buying a new K5 or Stinger.

The sales experience was so-so. The salesperson told us that all vehicles are selling over sticker due to chip shortages. I could hear the guy next to us buying a Telluride for $5K over sticker. Huh? Not us! Long story short, my wife gave them a number and we bought for $7K under sticker. She's Awesome!

We take delivery on Tuesday and I know I'll probably post up for oil recommendations. Can't wait.
Sounds like a fast car for highway commuting.
Is it the AWD?

But I don't understand your transaction; there isnt enough money in the car to sell 7K under sticker - unless you are talking add-a-tag bumped up price. I see there is a KIA $ 2500 rebate and then a couple to three grand in the car including holdback.

Zaedock, You must know what oil to use by now with 4000 posts :)

Last edited:
Sound like a fast car for highway commuting.
Is it the AWD?

But I don't understand your transaction; there isnt enough money in the car to sell 7K under sticker - unless you are talking add-a-tag bumped up price. I see there is a KIA $ 2500 rebate and then a couple to three grand in the car including holdback.

Zaedock, You must know what oil to use by now with 4000 posts!

It is AWD and yeah, my wife will have some fun commuting to work - until the traffic is back to it's worst in the country normal.
Trust me, they're still making money from the transaction. Who knew people would be paying fifty grand plus or minus for Tellurides and Stingers.

Having owned a shop and even being on this forum for 16 years, I do know what oil I'll probably run in her, but isn't posting up for discussion why we're here? Managing a service group in MA/Boston and playing in a couple bands doesn't allow me keep up on the latest and greatest.
I might get some good recommendations from my friends here that I might not consider.

a nice ride for sure!! girfriends plane jane 18 optima is doing great. a simpler + cheeper ride. BUT if you got the the $$$$ spend it + enjoy it!!

My son and his wife bought a Stinger twin turbo two years ago. They love driving it, and it has been trouble free. Theirs is black on black.

It is AWD and yeah, my wife will have some fun commuting to work - until the traffic is back to it's worst in the country normal.
Trust me, they're still making money from the transaction. Who knew people would be paying fifty grand plus or minus for Tellurides and Stingers.

Having owned a shop and even being on this forum for 16 years, I do know what oil I'll probably run in her, but isn't posting up for discussion why we're here? Managing a service group in MA/Boston and playing in a couple bands doesn't allow me keep up on the latest and greatest.
I might get some good recommendations from my friends here that I might not consider.
Don’t need a thread for that!

M1-ESP 5W-30.

I read here that it’s on sale right now for $6.99 at NAPA.

Load up with a few oil changes’ worth and you’re all set!

If that’s too rich for your blood, or if you aren’t going to run it hard, Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 or another low-Noack 10W-30 with minimal viscosity-modifying additives would be my choice.

The PPPP 10W-30 seemed to do great in my 2016 WRX, despite the TGDI fuel dilution and boxer engine shear.

I posted a UOA here somewhere.

Last edited:
Don’t need a thread for that!

M1-ESP 5W-30.

Heard it’s on sale right now for $6.99 at NAPA.

Load up with a few oil changes’ worth and you’re all set!

If that’s too rich for your blood, or if you aren’t going to run it hard, Pennzoil Platinum 10W-30 or another low-Noack 10W-30 with minimal viscosity-modifying additives would be my choice.

The PPPP 10W-30 seemed to do great in my 2016 WRX, despite the TGDI fuel dilution and boxer engine shear.

I posted a UOA here somewhere.

Thanks John. The ESP is a great choice. Nice that you mentioned PP 10W30 as I have about 30 jugs of it when either AA or AZ had it on clearance for $3.68 a jug in 2019. I've been using it in the SXL and just about everything else.

Thanks John. The ESP is a great choice. Nice that you mentioned PP 10W30 as I have about 30 jugs of it when either AA or AZ had it on clearance for $3.68 a jug in 2019. I've been using it in the SXL and just about everything else.
Man, that PPPP 10W-30 is great brew. You got a smoking deal!

Someone can correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe it’s 100% GTL.

I flogged my WRX to redline on almost every one of the 311 curves that make up the Tail of the Dragon at Deal’s Gap, Hwy. 129, on the border of TN-NC, multiple times in the WRX with that oil, and the car just took it in stride!

I hope you’re able to make the trip down, and take your new GT2 there sometime to really test its handling, brakes, and powertrain!

Congrats, again, on a really cool car, and please keep us updated on how you like it, and how it performs!

That stinger is fun to drive, but I’ve heard its tank is really small for its fuel inefficiency. Also, 2021 is with a smaller screen right? I can’t pay $50k for a vehicle with an interior that’s the same as on every other Kia

The K5 we tested did have a slightly larger screen than our '21 Stinger, but the '22 Stinger's that were already sold had a bigger screen.
Definitely not a deal breaker as except for nav or the radio, we really don't play with the screen much.

Tank size and fill ups are my wife's problem. LOL! At this point with the last child leaving the nest, the fun factor nudged ahead of economy.

Regarding the interior, it didn't look anything like the K5 or other vehicles we looked at while waiting for paperwork. I think Kia has done a superb job with their interiors. We had a pretty lengthy test drive and it was very comfortable. I even sat in the back and had plenty of room.
My wife put the car in Sport mode and the seat bolsters tightened up. She was not expecting that! (I had a few jokes about it too...).

Man, that PPPP 10W-30 is great brew. You got a smoking deal!

Someone can correct me if I’m mistaken, but I believe it’s 100% GTL.

I flogged my WRX to redline on almost every one of the 311 curves that make up the Tail of the Dragon at Deal’s Gap, Hwy. 129, on the border of TN-NC, multiple times in the WRX with that oil, and the car just took it in stride!

I hope you’re able to make the trip down, and take your new GT2 there sometime to really test its handling, brakes, and powertrain!

Congrats, again, on a really cool car, and please keep us updated on how you like it, and how it performs!
The jugs are all GTL. Definitely one of the better oil clearances I've found.

Thank you for recommending that area. My wife and I haven't been on a road trip with just us in years! With an empty nest, we've been planning to visit old friends in W. Pennsylvania. We could probably head south, visit TN, hit Hwy 129 and then on to my wife's parent's farm in GA. So many things to see on the way.

We could probably head south, visit TN, hit Hwy 129 and then on to my wife's parent's farm in GA. So many things to see on the way.
Cherohala Skyway is another great scenic drive very near Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon but it has a low speed limit (45 ish?). I have photos of my wife and I in our Prius on 129 :ROFLMAO: . Doesn't matter what you're driving you're going to get run over by Corvettes, Porsches, etc. There's a great little spot to car watch on the southern entrance to tail of the dragon too. There are photographers stationed all along 129 that will take your picture and I think you can look them up later by license plate #.

Cherohala Skyway is another great scenic drive very near Deals Gap/Tail of the Dragon but it has a low speed limit (45 ish?). I have photos of my wife and I in our Prius on 129 :ROFLMAO: . Doesn't matter what you're driving you're going to get run over by Corvettes, Porsches, etc. There's a great little spot to car watch on the southern entrance to tail of the dragon too. There are photographers stationed all along 129 that will take your picture and I think you can look them up later by license plate #.
Yeah, the Cherohala is a federal recreational road, like others such as the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Natchez Trace Parkway.

The word is a combination of “Cherokee” and “Nantahala” (it links the Cherokee National Forest, in Tennessee, with the Nantahala National Forest (North Carolina).

Used to be a $500 federal ticket if you got a fast driving award.

However, from what I’ve seen, they usually just run radar towards each end. Never seen them set up in the middle. Probably because you’re sort of 20 miles from civilization when you’re out in the middle of it.

Truly stunning road. And, unlike 129, it’s got plenty of places to stretch that Stinger’s legs.

I looked at a GT2 but my local Kia dealers are hopeless and on top of that they showed zero interest in finding me a RWD car.

Back