Bought me a Kia Stinger

Why would you think an Air Intake would void my warranty? Since I will disconnect the battery during install the computer will re-learn the air flow that comes with installing the air intake. No issue.
NO.. even though the engine likely has a wideband o2 sensor, the HIGH load / high boost are likely mapped in to tables with only marginal capability to set coefficients through MAP, IAT, and RPM as the variable. And nothing compensated if you greatly improve airflow at high rpm / high boost. Your compensation would be only within the realm of "normal" airflow +/-where the wideband O2 operates. You would likely run LEAN(er) if the intake was truly effective. Wher you would be lucky was if the engine was tuned very rich and the CAI would move that back into a better place.

And I see you didnt respond to or understand hemholtz resonance setting up metering problems.
These CAI are designed to remove money from you wallet. That's it.

Plus I'm sure KIA says "any failures related to unauthorized bolt on performance parts will void warranty coverage"
Just like Subaru with the exploding REX

They look great. They fact that they offer manual is some models (at least G70) is nice too.
Unfortunately it seems that that is it for Stinger and G70 as they are. They will follow fate of other models that were created to go against BMW 3 series.

I took a Stinger GT1 AWD for a test drive yesterday. A friend owns one, so I already knew what to expect, but I wanted to try a new one. I liked it, a lot. It's window sticker was $42.9K, but the salesman claimed to be willing to knock off $5K. Impressive price point, that's for sure. I'm not aware of a better performance bargain.

I put it in sport mode, and enjoyed the drive. I found it very comfortable, responsive, quick/fast enough, refined enough and all around a very fun car. Of course, I did not do any sort of track driving, but I did push the car and noticed no bad habits.

I liked that the trunk is somewhat like a hatchback, and opens up to a nice large area with the seats folded down, as there is no rear deck. Very nice feature!

Sadly, the one I drove came with all season tires, and this lowers the top speed to 149 MPH (according to the window sticker) , and that's just not fast enough..... :)

I really like how these came out (looks/interior/etc) and by all accounts they perform very well. Definitely did right getting the 3.3T. The 2.0 doesn't bare mention.

NO.. even though the engine likely has a wideband o2 sensor, the HIGH load / high boost are likely mapped in to tables with only marginal capability to set coefficients through MAP, IAT, and RPM as the variable. And nothing compensated if you greatly improve airflow at high rpm / high boost. Your compensation would be only within the realm of "normal" airflow +/-where the wideband O2 operates. You would likely run LEAN(er) if the intake was truly effective. Wher you would be lucky was if the engine was tuned very rich and the CAI would move that back into a better place.

And I see you didnt respond to or understand hemholtz resonance setting up metering problems.
These CAI are designed to remove money from you wallet. That's it.

Plus I'm sure KIA says "any failures related to unauthorized bolt on performance parts will void warranty coverage"
Just like Subaru with the exploding REX

AEM more than welcome to my money, so is MBRP for the Catback I just got. Two mods that are not going to be voiding my warranty anytime soon. JB4 Tune with new plugs comes next. The enjoyment of modding sport cars. Not to worried about hemholtz resonance.

I really like how these came out (looks/interior/etc) and by all accounts they perform very well. Definitely did right getting the 3.3T. The 2.0 doesn't bare mention.

With a few mods Ill get her up yo 450hp. Fun time's. Still along way from the 700hp they have got out of this engine.

With a few mods Ill get her up yo 450hp. Fun time's. Still along way from the 700hp they have got out of this engine.

A a long time turbocharged engine builder/enthusiast, I understand the temptation that many tuners have to increase torque markedly, right on/after boost onset. It's a lot of fun to drive a car that comes on and hits hard. It results in a fast street car that pulls hard in the mid range. Careful study of torque curves often show lopsided output.

However, the one limiting factor many vehicle drivetrains (and engines) have is torque. In some vehicles, managing torque with boost is a better way to achieve epic performance. Consider a torque curve that is flat from boost onset to redline, vs. the typical "tuner" torque curve. Then consider the HP produced by each method....

The Ecoboost is a great example: (hint, consider what 290 foot pounds of torque at 6500 RPM would be in HP, without ever adding driveline stress) 350HP vs. 250HP,

fb6669196dea559185e451247e5a7be2.jpg

Saw one of these last week driving on I95....I had to pass it to find out what it was. Absolutely great looking car in person, as soon as I got home I googled it.(y)

I took a Stinger GT1 AWD for a test drive yesterday. A friend owns one, so I already knew what to expect, but I wanted to try a new one. I liked it, a lot. It's window sticker was $42.9K, but the salesman claimed to be willing to knock off $5K. Impressive price point, that's for sure. I'm not aware of a better performance bargain.

I put it in sport mode, and enjoyed the drive. I found it very comfortable, responsive, quick/fast enough, refined enough and all around a very fun car. Of course, I did not do any sort of track driving, but I did push the car and noticed no bad habits.

I liked that the trunk is somewhat like a hatchback, and opens up to a nice large area with the seats folded down, as there is no rear deck. Very nice feature!

Sadly, the one I drove came with all season tires, and this lowers the top speed to 149 MPH (according to the window sticker) , and that's just not fast enough..... :)

I know a fellow enthusiast with an AWD GT2; he absolutely loves it. I may yet go for a RWD GT2 as I think that they are still equipped with Pilot Sport 4S tires instead of the grand touring Michelins slapped on the AWD cars. The AWD GTS had Sport 4S tires but the AWD Indigo Edition gets the 149 mph governor as well- disappointing.

I don't agree with this. Airflow is an attribute in the WOT / open-loop tables you refer to. If the vehicle is equipped with a MAF (which I think all [or vast majority] of modern vehicles are), it's a no brainer, the ECU knows how much extra air is coming in and it is compensated for. If there is no MAF, the airflow is estimated using manifold pressure, air temperature, RPM and other variables which are also part of the WOT table.

The ECU is always using the airflow (or estimated airflow) to calculate fuel requirements, it's an integral part of the WOT table.

It's really no different than having a dirty air filter that impedes flow. Your engine isn't all the sudden going to run rich in open-loop because your air filter is partially clogged. This might have been true in the case of carburetors and antiquated FI systems, but not today.

Mazda claimed their Mazdaspeed (AEM) CAI added25 hp to a Mazdaspeed3- as is borne out by this September 2008 Road & Track Article. When I installed the Mazdaspeed CAI on my 2007 MS3 I performed some in-gear runs as follows: Grassroots Motorsports tested the AEM CAI for the MS3 using 3rd gear 30-70 acceleration times in their June 2009 issue, so I decided to follow suit. A nearby deserted two-lane served as the test site. My procedure was to floor the accelerator pedal at 25 mph, start the stopwatch at 30 mph, and stop it at 70. I made an equal number of runs in both directions. On both test days the ambient temperature was 88F and the relative humidity was 68%. The car had a full tank of BP 93, and the tires were inflated to the recommended pressure. After all runs were timed I threw out the highest and lowest run times in each direction and averaged the times of the remaining runs. My results were: 30-70 mph stock filter : 5.67 seconds 30-70 mph Mazdaspeed CAI: 5.06 seconds(-0.61 seconds) And just for giggles, I went back and checked the Grassroots Motorsports results: 30-70 mph stock filter : 5.45 seconds 30-70 mph AEM CAI : 4.85 seconds(-0.60 seconds) As always, YMMV depending on the car; my F22 retains the stock intake since no aftermarket N55 CAI posts a significant hp gain.

Turbo’s tend to kill exhaust growl, most turbo v6’s just end up sounding like an angry vacuum. Even turbo v8’s suffer from it.

Had the catback on for a week now. Sounds exactly the way I was expecting it to be. With the sound of the Turbos spooling up from the air intake when I kick her down, the car sounds amazing. Makes me feel like a kid again.

Dealer will always find a way to void any claims of warranty if you don't use factory installed ones. I personally encountered an issue, I recently had a problem with a defective fuel pump but they they found out I had replaced my air intake with after market parts. They ruled out it affected the fuel pump that it had put a load on its mechanism that it added stress to it that it broke the fuel pump. I considered it as BS reasoning. It voided my warranty claim.

Pretty bad for customer service experience.

Dealer will always find a way to void any claims of warranty if you don't use factory installed ones. I personally encountered an issue, I recently had a problem with a defective fuel pump but they they found out I had replaced my air intake with after market parts. They ruled out it affected the fuel pump that it had put a load on its mechanism that it added stress to it that it broke the fuel pump. I considered it as BS reasoning. It voided my warranty claim.

What brand and model car was this?

Personally-modifying your "under warranty" vehicle with an intake is asking for trouble. I know some where the dealer didn't care that an after market part was used-because some of posters on various truck forums I frequent stated they have a multi-year relationship with their dealer-so they look the other way.

Modifying the ECM (a custom tune) under warranty creates POSSIBLY a whole other can of worms.......

What?
You did not buy a boring looks like all the other SUVs?
THEY will be watching you.
Radical car buying will not be tolerated.

Hell of nice car enjoy!

Back