Next vehicle search

Looking for a new ride when it's the last thing on your radar....sucks. Especially in these market conditions.

My beloved Kia Stinger GT2 met it's demise back on 11/10 when an underinsured, unlicensed driver attempted a left turn in front of me - while I was rolling around 40mph. Sustained pretty significant front end damage, airbags deployed, etc. I'm still awaiting a valuation from my insurance.

As I navigate the ridiculous process of injuries and insurance coverages from the wreck, my mind is trying to narrow down the list of contenders. Buying new is the most likely avenue, but will consider CPO.

'23 Chevy Colorado ZR2: I liked the first gen/face-lift. Now I really like this new one that's hitting dealer lots soon. I applied for a federal job that requires extensive regional travel. This potential suitor would rack up considerable highway miles and be subject to significant off-road use around railroad tracks. If I get the federal job, this is the winner.

'23 Cadillac CT4V Blackwing: this one really intrigues me. Manual transmission and turbo V6. Checks all the boxes. $70K+ investment that will depreciate slow and may likely appreciate with time.

Another loaded Kia Stinger GT2. I loved my '18 and have not ruled out purchasing a new one. Had a fair amount of aftermarket and custom pieces on the car that made it quite enjoyable. My only major hurdle here would be paying what they're selling for now. I bought mine new at $40K with a $50K sticker. They're now selling for $55K. I certainly would not pay an additional fifteen large for the same car four years later.

'23 Ford Mustang Mach 1: because it's the last one before the next gen atrocity is released. Combo of V8/6MT is quickly approaching extinction and I'd be perfectly fine with this pony in my stable.

'23 Audi RS3 or RS5: both cool toys but the 3 is small and the 5 is around around $90K.

Honorable mentions: Corolla GR and new Civic Type R. Both very unlikely, but they'd probably be fun toys to beat on.

$80K is my max. What else should I look at?

That list is like one of mine, all over the place, without any clearly defined direction. Any vehicle from a pickup, to a pony car will do! But only a few will really fire up my soul.

But first things first, Insurance must make you whole, including taxes, inflation, search costs, and title fees, other losses.

What I do is review all the options, then say "the hell with that" and just purchase the one I really want.

Here is what I want in no particular order:

1) Comfortable seats, I drive a ton of miles, this is ultra important to me.
2) Fast steering, 2 turns lock to lock, very responsive steering feel with no body roll.
3) Mid range torque, adequate acceleration on demand, with responsive throttle that gives power linearly
4) Transmission that does exactly what I ask, instantly (whether manual or automatic) (the paddle shifters have to be instant and no ECU override on them)
5) Good sounding engine, many modern DI 4 cylinders just don't cut it here, as they never rev high enough to "scream".

Rented a Camaro SS. If fell short in so many ways. The steering was ponderous, and the throttle was wonky beyond belief. It was an all or nothing affair. Nothing about that car was fun. It was either all-out fast at full throttle, or the same speed as traffic at half throttle. Annoying as can be. The transmission had no idea what gear it should be in.

Rented a Mustang GT and it had better feel, but had some body roll, and the 10sp auto was often hunting for gears. I would sometimes become slow to respond, if I lift, then jab the throttle a few times. The GT needed the track pack (or something)

I've driven a number of Stingers. They can be fun, as they are a bit of a throwback to a time when cars did what you asked.

I've not driven a Blackwing CT4v. I've driven the earlier verson with the TTV6, liked it a lot.

Here is what I drive:

Hr1Chv1.jpg

The Mach 1, V8 and 6MT. Sucks about the underinsured/uninsured driver, when I worked in the insurance industry it was mind blowing to me how many of these I came across, yet they somehow always manage to avoid going to jail after the incident.

How much do you drive? If it's a lot like me, I'd find the most comfortable car which from that list is the CT4V, and it's gorgeous. I'm glad they finally updated the interiors. It will probably slowly depreciate in value but never appreciate since it's not the 2nd gen CTSV but I wouldn't care about that. I'm not sure if it has that skip-shift thingy that comes with some GM cars - I'm not very well versed in this.

What about a BMW M550i? I've been on a kick lately looking at the 5 series - I've always thought they were the perfect BMW luxo barge.

Lexus IS500 F Sport. Definitely not the fastest in it's segment but the interior is nice and I like the outside. Comfy too.

How much do you drive? If it's a lot like me, I'd find the most comfortable car which from that list is the CT4V, and it's gorgeous. I'm glad they finally updated the interiors. It will probably slowly depreciate in value but never appreciate since it's not the 2nd gen CTSV but I wouldn't care about that. I'm not sure if it has that skip-shift thingy that comes with some GM cars - I'm not very well versed in this.

What about a BMW M550i? I've been on a kick lately looking at the 5 series - I've always thought they were the perfect BMW luxo barge.
If you get a BMW, go for the B58 turbo inline-six.

I've heard nothing but good things about the B58. Are there glaring issues with BMW's other current engines, namely the turbo 4?
From what I understand, they are quite good. The early ones had a few issues. But they mod well, and are fairly robust. As always, expect timing chain issues with infrequent oil changes.

Reactions: Pew
I've heard nothing but good things about the B58. Are there glaring issues with BMW's other current engines, namely the turbo 4?
The turbo 4 cylinder engine is the same as the B58 minus 2 cylinders (3l to 2l). BMW has moved to modular engine designs. My ride has the B58 engine and it's a great engine.

Reactions: Pew
1. Ford Mustang Mach1.

"$80K is my max. What else should I look at?"
Take a look at the Genesis G/GV70 or GolfR

Good stuff so far! I currently have the VWs at home. My '09 CC is a pretty wild car. It's only driven as a commuter/weekend runner. Wife has a '14 Jetta and my son is beating on the old MK4 VR6 Jetta. I'm not 100% opposed to a new MK8R, but I would prefer more interior space. I'd have to test drive to really determine any interest.

I do like the Genesis G70, pretty much identical to my wrecked Stinger, minus the hatch. The GV70 in top trim is a beautiful rig, but CUVs/SUVs aren't really my thing.

Haven't considered any new BMWs because of those awful faces. M3 probably wouldn't be doable, but the 340M/440M is a possibility.

Overall, I like sporty sedans. Prefer to row my own gears. The new Colorado ZR2 I mentioned at first is only if I get the gig with the FRA.

Mustang. But I am biased.

It can be daunting to narrow down this decision. My best advice is to write out what your real objectives are and work backwards. A car that stirs you will likely not be the same car that ticks many other boxes. However, the Mustang is a decent option that straddles the line between a fun driving experience and decent daily utility.

Good stuff so far! I currently have the VWs at home. My '09 CC is a pretty wild car. It's only driven as a commuter/weekend runner. Wife has a '14 Jetta and my son is beating on the old MK4 VR6 Jetta. I'm not 100% opposed to a new MK8R, but I would prefer more interior space. I'd have to test drive to really determine any interest.

I do like the Genesis G70, pretty much identical to my wrecked Stinger, minus the hatch. The GV70 in top trim is a beautiful rig, but CUVs/SUVs aren't really my thing.

Haven't considered any new BMWs because of those awful faces. M3 probably wouldn't be doable, but the 340M/440M is a possibility.

Overall, I like sporty sedans. Prefer to row my own gears. The new Colorado ZR2 I mentioned at first is only if I get the gig with the FRA.
I hate the new BMW faces too, I will say I was impressed by the X3 M40i. Handled very well for an SUV and the turbo i-6/ZF8 combo was seamless.

A bit more insight here....I don't haul kids. Needs to be a daily driver that can be used as a spirited toy at any moment. Aftermarket support for upgrades is preferable, as I cannot leave a vehicle in factory form. I enjoy the usual upgrades for suspension bits and most practical bolt-ons that enhance general performance.

Will get occasional road trip duty and must be comfortable and spacious enough to support my wife and I. A fuel sipper isn't anywhere near the top of the demands. 23+mpg highway is good enough. My current daily R/T commute is 40mi. RWD is more to my liking and staying open to AWD. FWD is all but ruled out, unless something magical appears and pulls me in such a direction.

I hate the new BMW faces too, I will say I was impressed by the X3 M40i. Handled very well for an SUV and the turbo i-6/ZF8 combo was seamless.
Not sure if this helps but I recently rented an X3 for a road trip and it was a fun little suv for what it was. I drove it on a lot of Ozark Mountain roads and it held its own. It drove a lot more like a car than an SUV. There was more road noise than I expected and you will need an IT degree to get the most out of the onboard electronics.

Of course, being a rental the trans was starting to show its age and that 8 speed was busy busy on inclines and curves.

In short, I would seriously consider one if I was looking for a small SUV in that price range and didn't mind buying a BMW. It is infinitely better than the little chevy and Ford SUV's I have driven.

Last edited:
Mustang. But I am biased.

It can be daunting to narrow down this decision. My best advice is to write out what your real objectives are and work backwards. A car that stirs you will likely not be the same car that ticks many other boxes. However, the Mustang is a decent option that straddles the line between a fun driving experience and decent daily utility.
Certainly, it's a strong contender here. I was slobbering over the GT350 when they hit dealers. Was raised in a Ford SVT household. Unfortunately, the numbers for a Shelby were not within my reach at the time. I also contemplated the Focus RS before the Stinger caught me eye. I really like the tweaks Ford put into the Mach 1. And waiting for the next gen car....meh. Looks like the lovechild of Mustang/Camaro and I DO NOT like the Camaro.

Those are all great, fun options mentioned so far. Corolla GR will get my vote. Getting one will be the hard part unless you're flexible on color and trim levels. Plus it maybe half your max budget yet still fun.

Circling back the SUV side of things here. My wife is longing for a new ride. She's trying to hold on for prices and rates to come back to reality. Her '14 Jetta is paid for and has remained maintenance friendly for almost nine years. However, it is approaching the 150K mark and we are trying to avoid big investments in repairs.

With that said, she does like the GV70 Sport Prestige or whatever string of numbers and names the top trim gets. She also digs the Kia Sorento X-Line Prestige - also the full optioned model. Her desire for something in this segment would fulfill any need for an SUV.

Those are all great, fun options mentioned so far. Corolla GR will get my vote. Getting one will be the hard part unless you're flexible on color and trim levels. Plus it maybe half your max budget yet still fun.
Haha yeah, the auto publications say it's real hoot. It does tick off a number of things I'm looking for. My initial hesitancy with this choice is the small size and boy racer styling. But ripping around in a 3cyl turbo MT AWD hatch would likely bring smiles daily! Imagine I'll see them on the road soon around Charlotte.

Back