New Years Diets?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Diets don't work. You have to change the way you eat permanently. I eat pretty much the same foods I always have, I just eat less, and that seems to work fine for me. I've been doing cardio exercises since 2003 which also helps...

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
If counting calories had any chance of working why are so many calorie counters fat? They sometimes lose weight for a bit and then they are fat, again. Maybe fatter.

If you just read labels and took corn sweeteners and all its derivatives out of your diet you might just start limiting your dietary intake to food that was better for you regardless of the calorie count. True, you would be cutting a huge percentage of things presented as food and you'd have to make some major adjustments at mealtime including not eating out so much but a little bit of work would give you something you could evaluate and adjust to meet your needs.

So, you don't think calories in to calories out ratio matters?

Diets normally do not work in the long run. You need a lifestyle change for that. But the periods when one loses weight are beneficial -- it is better to lose weight even for a short period of time than not lose weight at all.

Originally Posted By: supton
If counting calories had any chance of working why are so many calorie counters fat? They sometimes lose weight for a bit and then they are fat, again. Maybe fatter.

If you just read labels and took corn sweeteners and all its derivatives out of your diet you might just start limiting your dietary intake to food that was better for you regardless of the calorie count. True, you would be cutting a huge percentage of things presented as food and you'd have to make some major adjustments at mealtime including not eating out so much but a little bit of work would give you something you could evaluate and adjust to meet your needs.

So, you don't think calories in to calories out ratio matters?

Not too much. Many people experience a metabolic slow down when they go on calorie restricted diet and get nowhere. They lack energy and just don't feel good. If calories in and out worked there'd be less fat people. Look at how much you have to exercise to burn a couple of hundred calories. Then look at the labels on the food that you eat and see how quickly the calories add up. Treadmills should be calibrated in Snickers Bars. When you discovered you have to run your self for an hour or more to burn off a Snickers Bar you might start paying more attention to what you eat.

When you discovered you have to run your self for an hour or more to burn off a Snickers Bar you might start paying more attention to what you eat.

I'm failing to see how counting calories doesn't show that...

I mean, I can go to various places and get estimates for my basal rate, and then what any given exercise adds to that; and then the ratio of in:eek:ut afterwards tells me if I have eaten too much, too little or just about right for the day. Since calorie burn isn't an exact science, monitoring trends for a month or two via the bathroom scale will tell if in:eek:ut ratio is actually correct--and if not, then by how much to alter.

21.gif

Not a resolution mind you, but I did start a diet of sorts well before the New Year. I vowed I'd lose twenty pounds if it killed me! I am disgusted in myself since I gained a ton of weight...eating garbage every single day. Being that I have a severely messed up back, it's almost impossible for me to do any meaningful amount of exercise without extreme pain. I can walk...moderately. that's about it. So eating even a regular amount of food I tend to get fat. I know what to do to lose the flab though. Been through this a few times. I just eat VERY LITTLE food. That's about the only solution for me. Diet fads CAN work...like the Keto style ones especially. But I can't stay on them as I feel horrid with low carb diets. I just use simple math and take in TINY amounts of food to sustain myself. I've shrunk the size of my actual stomach this way and thus don't need much to feel full. I consume about a thousand calories a day and eat a fairly balanced diet. I've lost ten pounds already and have another ten to go. I've been as light as 155 pounds before (5'11") and as much as 220. Meeting my goal of 180 will be a cake walk (minus the cake).

I'm a pretty stocky, solid guy so I can lose (and gain) weight pretty easily. Being someone who eats when he's bored, mad, or stressed, I've but on quite a few pounds over the last few years but the big problem is the bad habits I've created. I simply eat WAY too much. Portion control is way out of whack. And whatever that signal your stomach is supposed to send to your brain when you're full is apparently broken. And having a taste for Diet Coke and sweet tea is not helping anything.

So all my diet is this year is 1) eat normal portions, 2) eat salads and lighter food more often, 3) drop the soda and sweet tea for plain water, and 4) stop snacking on all the candy around the office.

Originally Posted By: Bottom_Feeder
I'm a pretty stocky, solid guy so I can lose (and gain) weight pretty easily. Being someone who eats when he's bored, mad, or stressed, I've but on quite a few pounds over the last few years but the big problem is the bad habits I've created. I simply eat WAY too much. Portion control is way out of whack. And whatever that signal your stomach is supposed to send to your brain when you're full is apparently broken. And having a taste for Diet Coke and sweet tea is not helping anything.

So all my diet is this year is 1) eat normal portions, 2) eat salads and lighter food more often, 3) drop the soda and sweet tea for plain water, and 4) stop snacking on all the candy around the office.

I drink Diet Coke and am skinny. I think it's junk science reported to the media saying diet sodas make you fat.

Originally Posted By: skyactiv

I drink Diet Coke and am skinny. I think it's junk science reported to the media saying diet sodas make you fat.

It is total garbage that diet drinks will make you fat. While they certainly aren't exactly healthy, if all you existed on was diet coke, you'd die of starvation.

Originally Posted By: andrewg
Originally Posted By: skyactiv

It is total garbage that diet drinks will make you fat. While they certainly aren't exactly healthy, if all you existed on was diet coke, you'd die of starvation.

Exactly!! I think a diet soda is MUCH "healthier" than a regular soda that contains 60-something grams of sugar per serving. There's no way that can be the least bit good for you. My fave has always been Diet Cherry Vanilla Dr Pepper and Root Beer. I buy root beer to make ice cream floats. Two scoops of chocolate fudge ice cream,a ton of real whipped cream,and of course the root beer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back