New USA 0W30 Castrol ( AC ???)

Status
Not open for further replies.
This AC stuff almost HAS to be the really old pre-GC stuff. Over the past 6 months, I found pre-GC at the AZs in DeKalb, IL(This was strange because I purchased GC gold from them BEFORE the old pre-GC showed up; I told the AZ guys that this stuff was ancient and should be pulled - they did it), Dixon IL, Sandwich IL and Rochelle, IL. In two of these AZs, gold was right behind the pre-GC. Where is all of this pre-GC coming from? I mean, this pre-GC appears to be arriving on the AZ shelves AFTER loads of newer gold GC. Anyway, to the uninitiated, this could be very confusing.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Oh my heavens -- this malarky is spreading beyond BITOG!!! Though I drive a G35, I'm also a member of Maxima.org, because the current Max's engine is a VQ35 very similar to the G's, and they have some good engine discussions. Anyway, they also have a pretty good Fluids & Lubes sub-forum. I posted a link-over thread there so that the Max guys could see my recent good GC UOA posted here. Look what surfaces in the third-to-last post! Yes, I am "Torkaholic."
wink.gif

EDIT: Whoops, sorry, here's the link: "AC" Legend Surfaces at Maxima.org!

This thread has all the marks of a pretty good troll. Notice, the original poster has disappeared after making an unsubstantiated claim and just a few posts in the thread to keep it running until it reached critical mass.

Now it's spread to other boards.

I rate this troll 6/10 but only because it made it elsewhere...
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by z917990:
Over the past 6 months, I found pre-GC at the AZs in DeKalb, IL
This was strange because I purchased GC gold from them BEFORE the old pre-GC showed up.

I've encountered exactly the same situation at my local Autozone.

quote:

Originally posted by ekpolk:
Oh my heavens -- this malarky is spreading beyond BITOG!!!

GC seems to be gaining interest on that board.
Great job spreading the word.
cheers.gif

well im not a troll and i did see it, i cant prove it but im a very respected member of other boards...clubtitan.org is one of them...any one with doubts feel free to go to that forum and ask them if they have ever known me to lie...i have over 2,000 posts there and i never even new about gc until extensive reading here....i really have no reason to lie and i wouldnt...if i had not seen it i would say so i have no reason to stir the pot???

GT:

I've got no particular reason to question your competence or integrity. With that as a given, why is it that none of the folks who've seen this stuff, whatever it is, can produce a picture, or even a specific batch number??? I mean, we've had a gazillion GC threads, many with pictures and even more with detailed discussion of batch number sequences, but when it comes to this stuff, everyone's empty-handed. It is CERTAIN that eventually GC will change, as will all lubricant products, in time. It may be happening right now. But respectfully, given the persistent haze that has remained (we're now nine pages into this thread, and not one picture or batch number), I'm staying of the fence until we get some definitive word.
cheers.gif

Out of the 8 AutoZones I went to - 5 (from what I can remember) still had AC with layers and layers of dust on it.

My AutoZones have their AC as the last few bottles in the row. Maybe someone cycles through the row and puts them back there - or the employees put it back there every time??
tongue.gif
GC Green is long gone from these places.
grin.gif

quote:

Originally posted by OriginHacker21:
Out of the 8 AutoZones I went to - 5 (from what I can remember) still had AC with layers and layers of dust on it.

My AutoZones have their AC as the last few bottles in the row. Maybe someone cycles through the row and puts them back there - or the employees put it back there every time??
tongue.gif
GC Green is long gone from these places.
grin.gif

Just for clarity, could we please refer to the old pre-GC stuff as "pre-GC" or anything other than "AC". We know pre-GC exists; we have photos and serial numbers and we know that it is inferior to GC green and gold. "AC" is the new, invisible stuff that people have reported but cannot substantiate. Thanks.

To Got-Titan,

I have been away for a few days. I am glad at least someone else has seen the "New AC" also. I wish I could find another bottle of this stuff to stop all this naysaying here on this board. It makes no difference to most of these guys that the Castrol web site says they are making this stuff, or the copies of the e-mails from Castrol about the product. What you and I saw is meaningless until there is a picture posted, perhaps not even then. I have finally reached the point of saying I "just don't care" what anyone else thinks. If it is in black and white on the companies web site and everyone continues to say this is some sort of hoax, let them be. Eventually, someone, somewhere, will finally see this stuff, take some pictures, and then be accused of perhaps doctoring the photo's. I do hope the AC is there when you go back. Good luck....

quote:

Originally posted by 007008:
It makes no difference to most of these guys that the Castrol web site says they are making this stuff,

Please show me on the Castrol web site where it says the 0w30 is made.

You make it sould like the 0w30 being on the web site is something new. It isn't. It's been on there a long time. And it's never had any reference to where it's made.

I for one am open to what you have said and would not doubt what you and Titan have said.

You have to realize that the announcment that you have made shakes this board more than the Loma Prieta quake shook us here years ago.

If this new finding is correct it means that the composition of the previous blend/s may have changed.

If that has in fact happened the folks here have a very vital interest because the base oil and the "Trick" additives that made the green and gold special are apparently in question again.

To say this another way, the verified advantages of the green and gold may be in question because of what you saw. The things that are known about the green and gold are known through extensive testing and use. If the new AC is real it won't be accepted here until it proves itself by the same tests.

If the new AC is real it will surface in due time as you alluded to with or without your input.

Relax, trust that the truth will out in any case and you don't need to do anything but wait.

quote:

Originally posted by 007008:
(...snip...)It makes no difference to most of these guys that the Castrol web site says they are making this stuff, or the copies of the e-mails from Castrol about the product. (...snip...)If it is in black and white on the companies web site and everyone continues to say this is some sort of hoax, let them be. Eventually, someone, somewhere, will finally see this stuff, take some pictures, and then be accused of perhaps doctoring the photo's. I do hope the AC is there when you go back. Good luck....

007:

Your comments are uncalled for. First, I've been all over the Castrol site many times, and long before this thread started up. Maybe I'm missing it, but I see no reference whatsoever to the manufacturing location of the 0w-30 Syntec (here or in Germany). If it's there, how about a link? And G-Man is right, Syntec 0w-30 is nothing new; it's been on the site for years. You stumble into a situation that's already confusing as a result of the oil's varied past, it's several bottle design changes, and make bold claims that it's changed again. When very reasonably asked for some clarifying info, you act as if we all must take what you say on bare faith. Not even a batch number to confirm that what you're seeing isn't just pre-GC M01... or M02... stock (of which there is still plenty around). I really don't care that much one way or the other (I've got enough green stashed to take my 50k mile car to 250k), but still the longer we go with no one able to confirm that what they see isn't old pre-GC, the less I'm buying this. Your tone only reduces your credibility in my eyes.

Well, we can dispense with the alleged sighting from Maxima.org. Here is the report from member "Jwax" who'd thought he'd seen new stuff:
quote:

Stopped in at AutoZone this afternoon. What follows is the info I copied from the label.
Made in the USA. from domestic and imported components. Meets gasoline engine protection requirements of Porsche, BMW, Volvo, and Mercedes Benz. API Service SL. ILSAC GF-3. ACEA A1-98.
And, most importantly the code from the bottom of the bottle.
M022006A99A1 0804
So, this is some possibly expired oil? haha

As you can see, it was just old M02... pre-GC. Of course this doesn't disprove the existence of post-GC AC. Still, as John said, we'll see. . .
cheers.gif

I have been away for a week and will apologize now if this has already been covered. But, when this thread began I sent an E-mail to Castrol and requested very clear language on the subject. The first thing that I did upon arriving home was check my E-mail. Castrol had answered my question!

My question:

"There are rumors that Syntec 0w30 is now being
made in the US as opposed to Germany. Can you confirm or deny that the
rumor is true?"

Their reply:

"Castrol North America is manufacturing Syntec 0W-30.

Thank you for contacing Castrol!
Castrol Consumer Relations."

I have not seen the oil, but Castrol thinks that they make it here!

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
I have not seen the oil, but Castrol thinks that they make it here!!

They also believe in Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny, Area 51, Roswell, Nessy...and that Elvis is still alive.

grin.gif

G-ManII,

I can't confirm what Castrol thinks about Santa and Elvis (et. al.), only what they think about 0W30. However, I just noticed that they said who made made 0W30 without saying where it was made.

By the way, I was visiting Missouri. I stopped at a couple of Autozones in St. Louis and Columbia. From what I can tell Missouri still has pre-GC only!

I assume that the high-volume GC selling stores should empty the warehouses first. My guess is that the new stuff will show in California soon.

quote:

Originally posted by GMorg:
However, I just noticed that they said who made made 0W30 without saying where it was made.

And that's why I threw in Area 51, which actually exists. So there's nothing wrong with believing in Area 51, the issue is what do you believe ABOUT Area 51.

Leave it to the lawyer, but read the statement carefully:
quote:

Castrol North America is manufacturing Syntec 0W-30

It does NOT indicate where they are manufacturing it. Castrol NA may well be directing it's manufacture some other place -- Germany comes readily to mind.
wink.gif
cheers.gif

EDIT: to amplify, don't forget that Ford makes cars in Mexico, and Mercedes makes them in Alabama! The Castrol statement does not confirm that they are making 0w-30 in the US.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back