New tool thread

View attachment 99113View attachment 99114
Some more vise grip style pliers lol. Big set of Jobsmart from Tractor Supply. Had to have them because of the size. Wish my Tractor Supply had a good selection of tools like the other ones do. Then a set of Milwaukee MaxBite ones. Like I mentioned when I bought the last sets of this style jaw from Irwin and Bremen I really like this jaw for rounded bolts and such. Not a huge fan of the red plastic adjuster though wish it was like the other ones.
Those Milwaukees are great for gripping onto a u-joint cap you didn't quite get pressed out all the way

I have never understood spending that kind of money on a car. I just signed on the dotted line for a new welder from the snapon man because I got a good price for what I got and a financing package that made sense. Ive never borrowed a dime to buy a car, my current 2003 grand marquis is the most expensive car I have ever owned at 1500 bucks. Paid 300 for my suburban and 500 for my blazer
Not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood buying a welder from SnapOn.....never seen how they could have a better price or more features than Miller or Lincoln (or ESAB for you "weird euro" guys). But as you said, if the price and payments work for you, ok!

I've also never understood measuring instruments from Snappy like dial indicators or calipers....there's no way they know something Mitutoyo (or Starrett or whatever) doesn't

Cutting tools baffle me, too, but for the warranty which feels a bit like a nonsensical LT warranty on brake pads (hey, I do use the LT warranty if they're dumb enough to offer it, so not saying I think I'm "better" than anyone else!)

Not trying to be argumentative but I've never understood buying a welder from SnapOn.....never seen how they could have a better price or more features than Miller or Lincoln (or ESAB for you "weird euro" guys). But as you said, if the price and payments work for you, ok!

I've also never understood measuring instruments from Snappy like dial indicators or calipers....there's no way they know something Mitutoyo (or Starrett or whatever) doesn't

Cutting tools baffle me, too, but for the warranty which feels a bit like a nonsensical LT warranty on brake pads (hey, I do use the LT warranty if they're dumb enough to offer it, so not saying I think I'm "better" than anyone else!)
The welder I bought is an automotive geared machine that does steel mig, aluminum mig without the need for a spool gun, and mig braze. Has automatic modes for no drill spot welding and stitch welding. Its a synergic inverter style welder. The only one Miller makes that is comparable to mine to is almost twice the price. Didnt look into lincoln as I dont have a relationship with a distributor for lincoln and want someone there for after sales support. To get into comparable welders you are looking at welders geared to auto body like pro spot. Oh, and the machine is rated for steel mig at 100 percent duty cycle from 26 gauge sheet metal to 3/8 plate.

I looked at Snap on welders before buying my miller and found them over priced. I cant say I am impressed with the Snap on for the money. The Miller also seems better built and there is a 5 year warranty. I could not find a definitive answer on the Snap on warranty. I like the light weight of the Miller inverter but I don't need it for stuff better suited to a tig machine.
Not knocking Snap on hand tools but some of their other stuff is sketchy.

I got another set of Knipex pliers today - the Wurth lady walked in with them. Back in the '70's I had a pair of end nippers, and found them useful. They disappeared over time and a some years ago I got some Heyco end nippers - totally useless, and have sat in my pliers draw doing nothing ever since. But these Knipex ones looked like they would work well, so got them.

20220510_122845.jpg

Next to the Heyco, and you can see the deeper throat and much more leverage. I hope these ones see a bit more use.

20220510_122854.jpg

Received some new Knipex pliers today:

View attachment 99402

Some close-ups:

1) “Oil Filter Pliers”

View attachment 99403

2) Twingrips and “Slim” Cobras

View attachment 99404
Have you tried the Engineer pliers? I use them everyday to remove injector filters from the extraction tool, I have done a lot of things with them that no other pliers could do.

A 32mm 6 point socket also works well....At least my Snap-on deep impact does.....Center, Push, Turn is all it takes.
I tried that in addition to 31 and 33.

Sockets vary so much, esp in OD and lead-in chamfer. I think I just got unlucky....my set may be Sunex...can't remember exactly

I bought a 18" Tekton 3/8" drive 90T ratchet at Amazon, for $47.

View attachment 100003

The Tekton and my 7.5" Snap-on Dual80 have identical head widths of 30.4mm

View attachment 100004

The Snap-on head is thicker by 1.3mm and has a taller QR button.

View attachment 100005
I've been very happy with the TEKTON ratchets that I have. That slender head has allowed me to get into some tighter spaces that others that are just slightly thicker would not.

Back