New tool thread

Grip On makes a seemingly endless variety of locking plier types. I have a couple of them. They make some of the Snap On brand pliers.

Everyone hated them when they were made for Snap-on. I don’t know why. I never used them but I didn’t know a single tech that liked them that’s why everyone was so pumped for the Malco ones. How do you like them?

At the rate you're going when you change jobs you will need a semi to move your tools.
Fortunately my dad can help with that lol he is a truck driver. Hopefully I’ll never switch jobs though except when I retire lol. I like where I am. Unless I get enough to open my own shop which is one of my dreams.

Everyone hated them when they were made for Snap-on. I don’t know why. I never used them but I didn’t know a single tech that liked them that’s why everyone was so pumped for the Malco ones. How do you like them?
I got a 10 and 12 in in this model due to the jaw shape. I used them on some pipe and wood around the house not on a car. Like them a lot, but honestly they all work well enough for my uses. These just have wide opening jaws.

As it was all on terrific Zoro coupon plus 35% off using my credit card I bought a three piece Proto set in nickel too, which are also made by Grip On. Something like $50 for the set of three can’t remember exactly. These are normal jaw. I just like them no particular reason maybe because they are different with the locking and construction.

https://www.protoindustrial.com/en/industrial-tools/Proto/Pliers%2c-Snips-%26-Clamps/Locking-Pliers-Sets/J299NC_Proto®-3-Piece-Locking-Pliers-Set---Nickel-Chrome-/#

Fortunately my dad can help with that lol he is a truck driver. Hopefully I’ll never switch jobs though except when I retire lol. I like where I am. Unless I get enough to open my own shop which is one of my dreams.

Nothing is forever, I've had several jobs I thought were lifetime gig's.....Something WILL change, Whether it be You, Management, Owners, Coworkers, Work Load, Or Pay Structure.

Most Mechanics don't make it 5 years in the Trade.....I bet 98% don't make it past the 15 year mark.

Under $30 .

IMG_8023.JPG
IMG_8024.JPG

Nothing is forever, I've had several jobs I thought were lifetime gig's.....Something WILL change, Whether it be You, Management, Owners, Coworkers, Work Load, Or Pay Structure.

Most Mechanics don't make it 5 years in the Trade.....I bet 98% don't make it past the 15 year mark.
51 years must be a unicorn. You have been in for a lot of years too.

This is true of most trades. Many rookies are shocked when they realize they actually have to do something other than read facebook/instagram/tik tok throughout the day.
Amazing, and true. Some people feel all they have to do is show up, most are late too. Then when they get there and actually have to work they're shocked, but that's another story for another time. As far as cell phones, smashing a few crossed my mind many times.

I had quite a bit of Speed Perks rewards from AAP, combined with a coupon is was tough to pass on, so I thought I'd check out their ratchets. I was looking for an offset ratchet, and not break the bank. The flex-head was an impulse buy. The quality appears to be good.
IMG_0698.jpg

E10864B4-7FA5-472A-9B40-665DD9CEA58E.jpeg
71B4F7FB-1D8E-48CB-BCC9-7A612D730905.jpeg
C354201C-4C96-4F67-B14F-F39EACF71878.jpeg
1AB7E551-2993-4BBC-8CAC-F7C3D2AA1C80.jpeg

Snap-on Thursday today. Picked up 5 pairs of socks for my brother in law. He loves them just as much as I do. He was out of the large unfortunately cause I wanted more lol. Got a pair of Irwin vise grips 5 inch with a little different jaw on them. I’ve used this style several times for rounded bolts and such. I’ll probably order the middle size too from somewhere as I have the Bremen I think it’s 10 inch ones. I also had him order another set of the 7 inch straight jaw Snap-on as I was using them yesterday the chrome started peeling so I will be getting them replaced I’ve had my fair share of chrome cutting me before when it’s peeling so I’m not dealing with that lol. Also got the Knipex 7 inch pliers too. I’m getting them for the sizes I don’t have yet. I am really impressed with the small ones and have used the heck out of them. And I got another Streamlight Stinger, this one in red for my dad for Father’s Day. He really wants one after using mine so I went ahead and got him one. I got a discount on this one too so it wasn’t too bad and I’m happy. He is bad about setting things down so I figured the red you could see better haha.

^^^^I feel like every day ending in "Y" is Snap-On day for @AutoMechanic ?

If I were your local dealer I'd just start cruising your street every Saturday and Sunday with something like ice cream truck music.....
Well our dealership is so big everyday is a sales day lol. We have 6 shops. 10 brands and three express lanes. And the more he is here the more money I spend because I got a bad habit. But like all my coworkers say at least I’m not spending it on bad stuff. Believe me if I got weekend service at my house don’t think I would not be in debt thousands and thousands of dollars.

Last edited:
Well our dealership is so big everyday is a sales day lol. We have 6 shops. 10 brands and three express lanes. And the more he is here the lore money I spend because I got a bad habit. But like all my coworkers say at least I’m not spending it on bad stuff. Believe me if I got weekend service at my house don’t think I would not be in debt thousands and thousands of dollars.
Then you have a problem.
Buy only what you need

Well our dealership is so big everyday is a sales day lol. We have 6 shops. 10 brands and three express lanes. And the more he is here the lore money I spend because I got a bad habit. But like all my coworkers say at least I’m not spending it on bad stuff. Believe me if I got weekend service at my house don’t think I would not be in debt thousands and thousands of dollars.
You’re in debt, bud.

That is bad stuff, in that case.

If you wouldn’t buy it on the weekend, you didn’t need it. Getting it debt for stuff you don’t need is foolish.

Then you have a problem.
Buy only what you need
But I use all my tools Jim. Lol. And where I don’t specialize in one area of the car like engine, suspension etc I gotta have everything. Not everything has got to be Snap-on but I certainly like new tools. Believe me I’d never buy some things from Snap-on like their overpriced chrome sockets. I could pay it all off right now but I don’t want that big of a charge coming out of my bank account, I might not be alive after that. As of today I owe $1400 on the dot. Not the most I’ve owed before. I think maybe I do realize I should stop. Because I’m tired of all the lube techs that are in the express lane attached to my shop asking to use my stuff because they don’t have it. Like my stud installer and other stuff every single day. Stuff that cost me money and they are free loading off it. But I’ve used just about everything I have. Except a few pairs of pliers and maybe a couple other things.

Back