New tool thread

Each drawer is full. I use mine, too.

But I paid cash.

ACD83253-8781-4C0D-ADA8-41F3D86DFCC6.jpeg

But I use all my tools Jim. Lol. And where I don’t specialize in one area of the car like engine, suspension etc I gotta have everything. Not everything has got to be Snap-on but I certainly like new tools. Believe me I’d never buy some things from Snap-on like their overpriced chrome sockets. I could pay it all off right now but I don’t want that big of a charge coming out of my bank account, I might not be alive after that. As of today I owe $1400 on the dot. Not the most I’ve owed before. I think maybe I do realize I should stop. Because I’m tired of all the lube techs that are in the express lane attached to my shop asking to use my stuff because they don’t have it. Like my stud installer and other stuff every single day. Stuff that cost me money and they are free loading off it. But I’ve used just about everything I have. Except a few pairs of pliers and maybe a couple other things.
Bad times are coming for some, things can go downhill real fast leaving you out of work, the last thing you need is debt. We talked about lending your tools before, it is okay to let another mechanic occasionally use a tool but letting it become an open box for everyone in the place to plunder is crazy.

...I gotta have everything. [tools]

JMO, other than maybe a house or a vehicle, if you can't pay cash - you can't afford it.

The first step is to realize you have a problem. I hate even typing that because it sounds so trite.

It's hard to really know anyone on an on-line forum, but FWIW, I (and others on here) have the opinion you're a very decent guy.

Pay off that debt, and then only pay cash. You don't gotta have everything.

Best of everything to you, AutoMechanic, but without the debt.

Well our dealership is so big everyday is a sales day lol. We have 6 shops. 10 brands and three express lanes. And the more he is here the more money I spend because I got a bad habit. But like all my coworkers say at least I’m not spending it on bad stuff. Believe me if I got weekend service at my house don’t think I would not be in debt thousands and thousands of dollars.
A lot of really smart and successful people, are giving you good advice.

You cannot spend your way out of debt.

Buy NOTHING until you are out of debt.
Plenty of us have lots of tools and never bought it on tool truck debt. You are reinforcing a bad habit. You do not want to end up hurt , sick, fired, with debt.

Self disciple with money is important.

If you can't manage small debt , you can't manage large debt.

Stop digging!!!!

None is better . Take a break from purchases and paydown highest rate . We learned the hard way . Took around 25 years to wise up . The Katrina / Rita gas crisis was also inspirational . No debt for now . We've always purchased small fuel saving cars under $17,000 for low monthly payments under $250 . Trade ins ( Toyota / Honda w/ higher value ) , low interest rate and gas savings contribute to 3 years or less pay offs .

Last edited:
JMO, other than maybe a house or a vehicle, if you can't pay cash - you can't afford it.

The first step is to realize you have a problem. I hate even typing that because it sounds so trite.

It's hard to really know anyone on an on-line forum, but FWIW, I (and others on here) have the opinion you're a very decent guy.

Pay off that debt, and then only pay cash. You don't gotta have everything.

Best of everything to you, AutoMechanic, but without the debt.

Not that I'm advocating going into debt to buy tools, But.....Why is going out & getting a $30,000-$50,000 dollar vehicle loan acceptable debt? But spending a fraction of that amount on tools isn't?

Bad times are coming for some, things can go downhill real fast leaving you out of work, the last thing you need is debt. We talked about lending your tools before, it is okay to let another mechanic occasionally use a tool but letting it become an open box for everyone in the place to plunder is crazy.
I retired in 2020 from working maintenance in a food production plant and I learned early on not to take my good tools to work. My tool locker was crammed full of stuff from Harbor Freight and the like.

We used to joke that if you set down a Snap-On wrench it would be gone as soon as you turned your back but a HF wrench would still be there two weeks later. It sucked working with cheap tools but unfortunately that's just the way it was.

Not that I'm advocating going into debt to buy tools, But.....Why is going out & getting a $30,000-$50,000 dollar vehicle loan acceptable debt? But spending a fraction of that amount on tools isn't?
This is an excellent point! It is easy to stomach the idea of large home and auto loans because cash purchases for these items are out of reach for 99% of the population. Personally, I am less concerned about small loans than I am about compulsive buying, whether it be tools or anything else. Of course, only @AutoMechanic can determine whether he is truly a compulsive buyer or not, but several comments suggests he is drawn to the snapon truck like flies to a honeywagon. Nevertheless, of all the vices one could have, tool buying is probably among the more desirable! :)

And yes, I am jealous of his tool stash...

More German tools on the way, the 78 dollar Stahlwille set open end wrenches that go from 6-32 mm, with case, on Amazon. Trying to change someone by telling them what you think usually makes them do it more.
Telling yourself not to do that anymore, most of the time, results in doing it more too.
Joy riding in 15 mpg trucks is an addiction that literally burns money, many things to point fingers at. An addiction is also being thrifty and controlled as a source of enjoyment. In the end there is a headstone and no one says anything was wrong. People will say he enjoyed his tools. He enjoyed his one ton truck to go for rides in. He was a good father, good son, that's it.

0B373233-0E88-47AC-AE54-E5E9C3B865EF.jpeg
8B1CF886-6B59-4850-BDF8-7F7A2EF2A1DB.jpeg

Some more vise grip style pliers lol. Big set of Jobsmart from Tractor Supply. Had to have them because of the size. Wish my Tractor Supply had a good selection of tools like the other ones do. Then a set of Milwaukee MaxBite ones. Like I mentioned when I bought the last sets of this style jaw from Irwin and Bremen I really like this jaw for rounded bolts and such. Not a huge fan of the red plastic adjuster though wish it was like the other ones.

I get your point. To each his own. My impression is from reading your posts, you are a !@-" good mechanic. I'll bet AutoMechanic is to. Perhaps I would see it differently in your shoes.

Though it is NOT the same, to me it's similar to racking up a huge student loan debt so you can get a good job. Then spend a significant part of one's adult life trying to pay it off.

And, FWIW, I would never spend that kind of cake you mention on a vehicle. I could pay cash for it. Just wouldn't.

Again, JMO. YMMV.

I have never understood spending that kind of money on a car. I just signed on the dotted line for a new welder from the snapon man because I got a good price for what I got and a financing package that made sense. Ive never borrowed a dime to buy a car, my current 2003 grand marquis is the most expensive car I have ever owned at 1500 bucks. Paid 300 for my suburban and 500 for my blazer

Back