New tool thread

Long, ratcheting flex head box end wrenches with offset heads. The latter feature is the reason I bought them. Pretty expensive for Taiwan but they have a lifetime warranty, however good that does.

IMG_0426.JPG

It's not advisable to use thread cutting tools on wheel studs, A Thread Chasing Die would be the correct tool for cleaning up the threads. I know Lang makes one as part of a kit....But call them & they'll likely sell a individual Die.
I was gonna say, I've got the entire Lang kit but always forget I have it. It wasn't terribly expensive but that was probably 7+ years ago

617461D0-BDF3-4480-A58E-BA99FA3B5915.jpeg

Snap-On Tech Angle 5-100ft/lb
EBay find, paid about 1/3 of new cost, has recent calibration sticker and seems to function fine. Of course I will get it checked.

This is my first digital torque wrench and to be honest my initial impressions aren’t good. Seems to be really easy to over shoot the desired value unless you go really slow? Is this something you get a feel for with more use?

I have a 1/2” PI slip beam which I really love and was looking for a smaller 3/8” version when I stubbled on this one. Wondering if I should “trade” this for a split beam or hold out and give it time.

This is my first digital torque wrench and to be honest my initial impressions aren’t good. Seems to be really easy to over shoot the desired value unless you go really slow? Is this something you get a feel for with more use?
Yes - you need to approach your target value very slowly. Pay attention to the lights on the side of the wrench.

I bought the revised 5-125 version over a year ago and it is absolutely my favorite tool.

8DB6ECEC-9F0B-4CB0-BCFE-6434C29409DC.jpeg

I know some of you were wondering if I was going to post on page 100 that answer is yes lol. Had to go to Advance Auto to drop off a UPS package since they are a drop location and while I was there I was looking at the tools. I know a manager at this location so I got a good discount on these. I always keep extra 14mm around it seems that’s the size I always crack working on Toyota and Subaru stuff. No matter the brand lol. I’m curious if I’ll crack this one. The 8mm because I lack quite a few 8mm in 3/8 drive. I have been really happy with all my DieHard stuff. It’s good for the money. Still waiting on them to get the 3/8 long flex heads back in stock with the comfort handle. Even though the price has went up a bunch over the last month I still want one. If anyone is thinking about the DieHard stuff I’d definitely give it a go it’s nice. They sure do sell lots of it too.

Sometime this week I have to go to Lowes to get someone a socket I lost. I offered them a DieHard but they want Craftsman which is understandable considering every tool this guy owns is modern Craftsman lol. It’s my fault I lost it so I have to do the right thing and replace it which I’m fine with. I don’t know how I lost it though lol. I had taken it off his impact because we needed a Allen bit socket and his hands were covered in oil and I thought I had put it back in it’s slot in his box and I guess I didn’t but wherever it’s at we can’t find it now. I checked all my pants pockets I checked my boxes his box no where to be found. I know while I’m there getting his replacement socket I’ll buy other stuff too lol 😂 because that’s just what I do. Plus I did a good job today when the Snap-on toolbox and equipment truck rolled up in the parking lot. I got quoted for a box but no way I can spend $5,000 on a box when the box doesn’t make you money. They offered me $1000 for my box plus a $970 preferred customer discount and a however much amount rebate. I was told interest for someone with no credit like myself starts at 27% I was like no freaking way lol. I love that supersonic blue and bronze trim box I created and had quoted in case I decide to buy it but no way I can do that and still live comfortably. My dealer is like I don’t take US General on trade his wife also a dealer said yeah we do I’ll give you a thousand on trade. I just couldn’t do it and I’m proud of myself for telling myself no. Lol. Don’t expect to see a new box from me on here lol.

View attachment 122998
I know some of you were wondering if I was going to post on page 100 that answer is yes lol. Had to go to Advance Auto to drop off a UPS package since they are a drop location and while I was there I was looking at the tools. I know a manager at this location so I got a good discount on these. I always keep extra 14mm around it seems that’s the size I always crack working on Toyota and Subaru stuff. No matter the brand lol. I’m curious if I’ll crack this one. The 8mm because I lack quite a few 8mm in 3/8 drive. I have been really happy with all my DieHard stuff. It’s good for the money. Still waiting on them to get the 3/8 long flex heads back in stock with the comfort handle. Even though the price has went up a bunch over the last month I still want one. If anyone is thinking about the DieHard stuff I’d definitely give it a go it’s nice. They sure do sell lots of it too.

Sometime this week I have to go to Lowes to get someone a socket I lost. I offered them a DieHard but they want Craftsman which is understandable considering every tool this guy owns is modern Craftsman lol. It’s my fault I lost it so I have to do the right thing and replace it which I’m fine with. I don’t know how I lost it though lol. I had taken it off his impact because we needed a Allen bit socket and his hands were covered in oil and I thought I had put it back in it’s slot in his box and I guess I didn’t but wherever it’s at we can’t find it now. I checked all my pants pockets I checked my boxes his box no where to be found. I know while I’m there getting his replacement socket I’ll buy other stuff too lol 😂 because that’s just what I do. Plus I did a good job today when the Snap-on toolbox and equipment truck rolled up in the parking lot. I got quoted for a box but no way I can spend $5,000 on a box when the box doesn’t make you money. They offered me $1000 for my box plus a $970 preferred customer discount and a however much amount rebate. I was told interest for someone with no credit like myself starts at 27% I was like no freaking way lol. I love that supersonic blue and bronze trim box I created and had quoted in case I decide to buy it but no way I can do that and still live comfortably. My dealer is like I don’t take US General on trade his wife also a dealer said yeah we do I’ll give you a thousand on trade. I just couldn’t do it and I’m proud of myself for telling myself no. Lol. Don’t expect to see a new box from me on here lol.
A brand new Snapon toolbox is one of the worst investments a young technician can make. A used Snapon toolbox is a decent investment, and after the toolbox truck comes through is a great time to buy one. My current main bottom I paid 3k for used 11 years ago. Was an 8k new box that never had tools in half the drawers. That didnt include 1200 trade on my previous snapon box that I paid 1200 for used 3 years prior.

I do agree that the 27.9 interest is ridiculous. My welder is a 9.9 but my credit is only a few points off of perfect. If you are serious about a snapon box, spend a few years building credit and putting money aside and buy a used one. A used Snapon box will outlive darn near any other box.

View attachment 122750
EBay find, paid about 1/3 of new cost, has recent calibration sticker and seems to function fine. Of course I will get it checked.

I have a 1/2” PI slip beam which I really love and was looking for a smaller 3/8” version when I stubbled on this one. Wondering if I should “trade” this for a split beam or hold out and give it time.
It's teaching you to use a torque wrench correctly, Nothing wrong with the tool!!!

View attachment 122750

Skip to 5:00:

This will show you the negative effect of not slowly reaching your preset value.

A thank you to those who contribute to bitog forums, there is always something interesting to learn from, and now onto some of my splurging, there's more except some hasn't arrived and being I don't have a smart phone it takes a few extra steps to get stuff presented.

Part number obscured by my best helper is 80380, I liked the way the one I used for the Camry vapor canister vacuum connection worked so well I had to have a bigger set. Second is split image from one of my new but inexpensive eBay Borescope Inspection Camera's. Extra photos are just in case I missed something.
20221020_165130.jpg

20220920183522813.jpg

Attachments

• 20220918_144353.jpg
    20220918_144353.jpg
    123.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20221020_165147.jpg
    20221020_165147.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 8
  • 20220920183425971.jpg
    20220920183425971.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 7
A few items I've had for a little while, but quite new for my use...
-HF parts tray that really comes in handy to safely hold small parts. Easy to keep clean and has tons of possible uses.
-The Fix-It-Sticks set is quite awesome for precision work and I bought it primarily for the unique torque adapter for inch/lb spring loaded feedback. Currently using it to assemble a very well designed/machined manual espresso range coffee grinder. Keeping screws torqued equally really keeps those parts in alignment.
-The Klein ratcheting finger style ratchet is great for very tight spots where leverage is needed.

Attachments

• 20221027_063038.jpg
    20221027_063038.jpg
    145.7 KB · Views: 27
  • 20221027_063141.jpg
    20221027_063141.jpg
    140.3 KB · Views: 27
Small Tekton tool shipment; direct from Tekton.com was great, cheap fast shipping (
  • 1 1/8" combination; needed for a particular item I have (Local sources like Carlyle were just too $$ for my infrequent use (Will be cutting this one in half with grinder due to only needing the open end and don't want to carry a 14" 1/2 pound hunk of steel)
  • 40 pc 1/4" drive bit set. Was fed up digging thru various set/trays etc. Should be GTG now, seems like high quality
  • small smooth jaw (Spring loaded in the open position) pliers. Really nice
Tekton tools Oct22.jpg

@AutoMechanic Don't be mad 😁. Whats more American than buying a $28 wrench on-line and cutting it in half with a $20 Horror Freight grinder so it will fit in a range bag to be used for tighten a flash suppressor on a self built AR? (BTW Anyone know what half of a 1 1/8" is? :ROFLMAO:)

View attachment 123348
View attachment 123349
Lol I couldn’t live with myself if I modified a tool. I’d just buy the open ended wrench lol. Or if you need a lighter shorter one than a stubby haha. That would drive my OCD up the wall even seeing a modified tool haha. I love all my tools way too much to chop them up. You could of at least got a crappy wrench though 😂. Tekton is really good. Perhaps a Horror Freight one would do lol. But they don’t sell individuals.

Back