New to VW

So it's mainly their factory fill?
Who knows. Manufacturers have marketing agreements with various oil companies, my Tiguan says "Castrol Recommended" or some such thing on the fill cap. Again what matters is the approval though. Does the Castrol EP product you mention carry a required approval? If it does then yeah, VW might be "big" on it at least from a marketing standpoint.

This post can go horribly wrong real fast.. when it comes to VW BITOG members worry about what the manufacturer calls for, but when a manufacturer states 0w20 it's too thin.
igor-young-frankenstein.gif

prolly no warranty so any decent synthetic would do. in your climate a 5-30 in winter + a 10-30 in summer unless its "loose" + using oil then a 5-40, but a 10-40 can be better in the heat. always used a real synthetic 10-30 in my hotted up 2001 jetta until i traded just shy of 200 thou, but my "looser" 2001 TT 225Q roadster gets 10-40 winters + 15-50 to top in hotter months when it gets used mostly as a fun top down ride!!

prolly no warranty so any decent synthetic would do. in your climate a 5-30 in winter + a 10-30 in summer unless its "loose" + using oil then a 5-40, but a 10-40 can be better in the heat. always used a real synthetic 10-30 in my hotted up 2001 jetta until i traded just shy of 200 thou, but my "looser" 2001 TT 225Q roadster gets 10-40 winters + 15-50 to top in hotter months when it gets used mostly as a fun top down ride!!

I disagree with that. If her manual for example says VW 502 00 or VW 504 00
Volkswagen obviously calls for a minimum HTHS of 3.5 mPas (along with
several other requirements). The average American 5W-30 or 10W-30 is just
~3.2 mPas. So these are obviously NOT appropriate.
That said, 15W-50 generally don't carry these VW approvals. Why take a risk?
What's the problem just using some VW 502 00 or VW 504 00 approved oil?
You can run whatever you want in your own car. However you shouldn't post
borderline (not to say wrong) recommendations to Newbies.

Why not just use a euro oil with the VW approval? They are just as easy to find and cost the same as any other standard syn oil. Race teams literally using the standard off-the-shelf 5W40s so I'd say they are more than adequate to beat the crap out of in a street car.

Back