New to VW

Welcome to the wacky world of VW and all the oil confusion it brings to some folks. Really easy as stated, it calls for VW 502.00.

Now, recommendations will be all over the place based on cost, ease of getting it, personal preference/experience etc. I have used Castrol Edge 0W-40 in most of my 'dubs without a hiccup. Easy to find and cheap (currently ~$25/5) at Wally. Stash of that has dwindled and decided to change try out the Valvoline XLIII. ~$26 and free ship next day from Amazon. Doesn't get much easier or cheaper. Plus, 504.00 is much lower SAPS and the dirty 1.8T will benefit from less deposit potential as a result. YMMV. Happy Motoring.
So what I can get easily is either Castrol 0w40 or the 5w30 both European. Which would be better for 10k oil changes?

As in "either will be fine," I think is what he meant.

10K OCI is pretty standard on VWs (if not most Deutschen autos), it may take some getting used to mentally if coming from other brands (especially US ones).

As in "either will be fine," I think is what he meant.

10K OCI is pretty standard on VWs (if not most Deutschen autos), it may take some getting used to mentally if coming from other brands (especially US ones).
I guess I’ll run 0w40 since everyone seems to speak highly of it, and it literally covers the largest temp range

I’ve never understood the grade requirements/restrictions for those approvals considering the determinant is the HT/HS. At least Mercedes-Benz has stopped that practice with some of their approvals.
The grade is a result of the requirements of the approval. For example do you think you could formulate 10w-60 or a 5w-20 with a HTHS of 3.7? Me thinks not.

The grade is a result of the requirements of the approval. For example do you think you could formulate 10w-60 or a 5w-20 with a HTHS of 3.7? Me thinks not.
No it’s not. The HT/HS is the engineering requirement, the grade is a result. “Permitted grades” for those approvals is a marketing decision except possibly for the winter rating.

HT/HS does not necessarily equal grade.

No it’s not. The HT/HS is the engineering requirement, the grade is a result. “Permitted grades” for those approvals is a marketing decision except possibly for the winter rating.

HT/HS does not necessarily equal grade.
HTHS correlates with grade no? And it's not only HTHS but other test and engineering requirements which would necessitate particular grade-range.

HTHS correlates with grade no? And it's not only HTHS but other test and engineering requirements which would necessitate particular grade-range.
Well you can certainly have different grades with the same HT/HS, so it may be correlated somehow but it’s not determined by it. Both are measured differently of course. We had a discussion about that once and it was explained that not all the same exact factors are determinant, for one thing the amount and type of VII can affect the HT/HS in a way that isn’t the same as the grade.

Well you can certainly have different grades with the same HT/HS, so it may be correlated somehow but it’s not determined by it. Both are measured differently of course. We had a discussion about that once and it was explained that not all the same exact factors are determinant, for one thing the amount and type of VII can affect the HT/HS in a way that isn’t the same as the grade.
Sure. But as you know in those instances the oils in question have viscosities which are near the boundary between the two grades and there's a limit to the amount of VIIs which can be blended. Ex. Oils with a HTHS of 3.5-3.7 are typically "heavy" 30w or "light" 40w. I don't believe its possible to formulate a long drain 20w with a HTHS of 3.5 or more.

No you are correct. But I was just railing against the (to me) arbitrary grade designations called out in the VW approvals. As I mentioned, Mercedes-Benz does not do that for most approvals, they only list acceptable winter ratings and let the grade fall wherever it falls. From an engineering standpoint I think that’s more reasonable since 1) it doesn’t matter and 2) it’s not a critical performance requirement.

Just a heads up that newer VW’s are specifying grade and Approvals: e.g. 0W-30 & VW 504 as on my 2.0T Atlas.

Not always. 30-multi-weights can be a high HTHS (3.5 mPa min) or lower HTHS (less than 3.5 mPa), depending on the specification it needs to meet, for example VW502.00 and 504.00 needs the 3.5 mPa min. Your usually off the shelf Mobil 1 5w30 for instance won't be the 3.5 mPA min HTHS product. a high HTHS 0w30 would need to meet VW504.00 (Mobil 1 ESP 0w30), while a lower HTHS 0w30 would have GM Dexos 1 (Gen 2) approval (Mobil 1 AFE 0w30) or VW506.01 (for instance from VW spec standpoint)

40-weight oils are usually high HTHS.
20-weights are on the lower end of the HTHS

Last edited:
Not always. 30-multi-weights can be a high HTHS (3.5 mPa min) or lower HTHS (less than 3.5 mPa), depending on the specification it needs to meet, for example VW502.00 and 504.00 needs the 3.5 mPa min. Your usually off the shelf Mobil 1 5w30 for instance won't be the 3.5 mPA min HTHS product. a high HTHS 0w30 would need to meet VW504.00 (Mobil 1 ESP 0w30), while a lower HTHS 0w30 would have GM Dexos 1 (Gen 2) approval (Mobil 1 AFE 0w30) or VW506.01 (for instance from VW spec standpoint)

40-weight oils are usually high HTHS.
20-weights are on the lower end of the HTHS
Of course but there is a min-max HTHS you can have for any weight. For example you'll never have a PCMO in a 20w with a HTHS of 3.5 or a 40w with a HTHS of less than 3.0

Back