New to me Porsche Cayman oil recommendation please!

I did some research on Rennlist on Motuls replies to other members who use their vehicles in a similar manner. Motul recommends 3,000 miles in a street application with casual track days. I'm not trying to maximize fuel economy, OCI, emissions, or any other compromises oil and additive package manufacturers must do to comply with OE specs. Motul made a Rennlist post about their recommendations for Porsche on a lot of different use cases, I'll try to find that.

Motul is focused on wear protection and anti-friction with this oil. While Porsche may have taken my use case into consideration when developing the A40 spec, they also had to take into account all other use cases and thus may have compromised on other aspects of the spec. I think Motul with the 300V and Redline has probably found a good niche for their oils in this specific use case.

One example of this mindset is Honda and their Honda of America Racing Team. I am personal friends with one of the crew members and they exclusively use Redline oil in all powertrain and drivetrain components. This may rattle some chains, but they even use thicker oil! Some of these vehicles are stock, some are heavily modified.

All that being said, if I were daily driving this car in the winter, 10k miles a year, and track days, stop and go, short trips, long trips, you name it. I'd probably use A40 oil and change it after each track weekend.

Last edited:

Post #87

Motul also posted "introductions" on many different sub-categories on Rennlist that might be worth digging through.

Back