New to me Porsche Cayman oil recommendation please!

"Meets Requirements" is not Approved.
Yeah, the bottle label indeed says "meets the requirements":
Screen Shot 2021-10-17 at 11.46.38 AM.jpg

And the first red flag is that it doesn't show up on the Mercedes BEVO site for either 229.5:

or 229.3:

Despite both being listed there.

Daily and spirited driving? M1 0w40. Track use? M1 5w40, both A40. I'd change every 5000 miles. Just a peace of mind on my part. Enjoy the car!

View attachment 74647

And the first red flag is that it doesn't show up on the Mercedes BEVO site for either 229.5:

or 229.3:

Not listed on the VW list for 502s either.

View attachment 74647

or 229.3:

1634517050686.jpg

The only one of those that's actually approved appears to be 502/505 00

The A40 spec is used for 20k/2yr oil change intervals. Do you think that that additive package is biased to detergency properties to meet that longevity requirement that reduces the anti-wear package robustness?

I’m changing the oil around 3k/1yr.

The A40 spec is used for 20k/2yr oil change intervals. Do you think that that additive package is biased to detergency properties to meet that longevity requirement that reduces the anti-wear package robustness?

I’m changing the oil around 3k/1yr.
A40 Approved oils are straight-up run on a 3-axis engine dynamometer to simulate lapping the Nurburgring.

I changed the oil in my 996 every 6mo. That doesn't mean the oil isn't capable of much, much more, especially with the 2-2.5 gallon sump sizes these cars have.

If Mobil 1 0w-40 is so good, and it’s factory full for Cup cars and all Porsche and it’s Nurburgring simulation and everything… why is Motul 300V the official fill for LMP2 cars with claims of 25% longer engine life? Why not just run Mobil 1 0w-40?

If Mobil 1 0w-40 is so good, and it’s factory full for Cup cars and all Porsche and it’s Nurburgring simulation and everything… why is Motul 300V the official fill for LMP2 cars with claims of 25% longer engine life? Why not just run Mobil 1 0w40?
Well just like how Popeyes is the official fast food joint of the Toronto Maple Leafs and how Scotia Bank are the official bank of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Being a big foodie I know CF MAKES BETTER chicken sandwiches than PE. I also know that Scotia Bank isn't as great as TD or RBC. They're deals that are made.

I've see UOAs here of 300V, it's a beautiful oil, good add pack and what not and it does the same thing as M1 can do. Actually i should say, what can 300V do that M1 0w40 can't? Matter of fact it's "embarrassing" that a $30 jug from Walmart of 0w40 (M1) can produce the same or close to same results as Motul 300V which goes for $70 while also being a long drain interval oil (not considering fuel dilution).

Well just like how Popeyes is the official fast food joint of the Toronto Maple Leafs and how Scotia Bank are the official bank of the Toronto Maple Leafs. Being a big foodie I know CF MAKES BETTER chicken sandwiches than PE. I also know that Scotia Bank isn't as great as TD or RBC. They're deals that are made.

I've see UOAs here of 300V, it's a beautiful oil, good add pack and what not and it does the same thing as M1 can do. Actually i should say, what can 300V do that M1 0w40 can't? Matter of fact it's "embarrassing" that a $30 jug from Walmart of 0w40 (M1) can produce the same or close to same results as Motul 300V which goes for $70 while also being a long drain interval oil (not considering fuel dilution).

Couldnt we say the same about The Mobil 1 & Porsche deal? Mobil 1 milks the hell out of that with their marketing. 300V has a big shot of Moly 600-700 PPM and is ester based. Frankly, price does not really matter that much. I think it would be a wash over the ownership period of the car because I can get 300V using the FCP Euro lifetime warranty. Further, Motul even did a study showing a 1.5% gain in power over Mobil 1 0w-40 on a Porsche Cup engine. Free horsepowers!

If Mobil 1 0w-40 is so good, and it’s factory full for Cup cars and all Porsche and it’s Nurburgring simulation and everything… why is Motul 300V the official fill for LMP2 cars with claims of 25% longer engine life? Why not just run Mobil 1 0w-40?
Because that is what Gibson specifies?

What does Motul 300v in an LMP2 car have to do with your Porsche Cayman?

Couldnt we say the same about The Mobil 1 & Porsche deal? Mobil 1 milks the hell out of that with their marketing. 300V has a big shot of Moly 600-700 PPM and is ester based. Frankly, price does not really matter that much. I think it would be a wash over the ownership period of the car because I can get 300V using the FCP Euro lifetime warranty. Further, Motul even did a study showing a 1.5% gain in power over Mobil 1 0w-40 on a Porsche Cup engine. Free horsepowers!

So buy the Motul then

300V also has zero manufacturer approvals.

Back