New to me Porsche Cayman oil recommendation please!

Hi guys,

Sold my 2008 Corvette Z06 after 4 great years of street driving and HPDE. Unfortunately I never got to analyze the Redline 5w-40 to see if that was the right oil for wear. The oil pressures were certainly better than the 5w-30 at 265F!

I now have a 2010 Porsche Cayman S with the direct injection 3.4L flat-6. Engine will remain stock. What oil is recommended for track use in these? I drive about 2,500 miles a year and do 5-6 track days a year with some Autocross mixed in. No competitive racing. I would like to run something from Liqui-Moly because I can get it from FCP Euro and use their Lifetime Warranty program.

Thanks!

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    168.7 KB · Views: 99
Just curious how simple Porsche use ACEA rating for their oil spec, A40, C30, etc, so are they part of the governing body ?
Their Specs are based on ACEA, Porsche A40 is based on ACEA A3/B3, Porsche C30 is based on ACEA C3 for 30 grade oils, Porsche C40 is based on ACEA C3 but for 40 grade oils, Porsche C20 is based on ACEA C5, they use ACEA as a basis but have their own extensive testing procedures for determining the oil is suitable for extended drain intervals.

Last edited:
What is the opinion on Redline 5w-50? Porsche recommended viscosity and available on FCP for the lifetime warranty.

What is the opinion on Redline 5w-50? Porsche recommended viscosity and available on FCP for the lifetime warranty.
While I have no doubt that Redline 5w50 is good oil, I still would not use it unless it has A40 approval.

Beautiful car, btw. I just attended a SCCA PDE, lots of Caymens there of all generation, I am really impressed with how well they hold up on track.

You've basically got 2 choices if LM is going to be the brand...Leichtlauf High Tech 5W40 (A40) or Molygen 5W40 (doesn't have any approvals but meets the requirements of...). FCP does sell other A40 approved oils from other brands so you can use the lifetime replacement on those as well. I use LM kits from FCP as well for my VWs and do the lifetime replacement deal. Remember to pay using PayPal then you can get your return shipping refunded as well (up to $30 12x/yr).

Mobil 0W-40 seems to shear out of grade. If you want to go Mobil route try 5W-40 or 5W-50.
Liquimoly gets a lot of flack on this forum.

It seems that Motul is very popular in Porsche communities.
MOTUL 8100 X-CESS GEN2 5W-40

If you want to buy from FCP the Pentosin 5w40 is just as good as anything else, is approved, and saves a few bucks. If the oil temp is over 250 on track I might consider a 50 grade but 40 grade will do fine up to 260-270 or so anyway.

If it was me.. with the 9A1 engine which came out in 2009 model year. I would go mobil 1 and maybe go slightly heavier.
I run 15 w 50 mobil 1 in my bmw.. but only in summer. In winter I go 5 w 30 ..

Ok, quick search turns up at least 10 prior posts on the matter.
I don't have personal experience, just reiterating what i've come to understand.
So, please elaborate what your beef is.
His beef is that he's a Mobil1 0w40 fanboy. That's okay I guess, I've done the same more than once.

Mobil 0W-40 seems to shear out of grade. If you want to go Mobil route try 5W-40 or 5W-50.
Liquimoly gets a lot of flack on this forum.

It seems that Motul is very popular in Porsche communities.
MOTUL 8100 X-CESS GEN2 5W-40
Most people that think they are experiencing shear are experiencing fuel dilution. That's been brought to light in the last couple of years. Blackstone doesn't properly measure fuel dilution, so unfortunately, them being the largest source of UOA's on this board doesn't help.

I experienced some visc loss with M1 0w-40 in my M5, but since I used a lab that does GC, it was clear that this was due to the 5% fuel in my oil.

Yes, VII polymers shear, but most of the "good" oils are using very shear resistant ones, and in fact shear resistance is part of the testing protocols that oils like M1 0w-40 have to pass (viscosity retention), see the Mercedes approvals for example:

Screen Shot 2021-09-20 at 9.26.19 AM.jpg

Back