New (to me) 2006 300C Hemi - recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just picked up a new ride a few days ago. A 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi with 55K on it and almost every option except the AWD. Absolutely love it so far.

No idea what's in the crankcase now. It looks pretty clean, but I'm planning on changing it over the next few days and using 5W20 Valvoline Synpower full synthetic (just picked up a case on sale) with a Wix filter.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Nothing wrong with the Valvoline and the Wix is a great filter.

My son uses Mobil-1 in his Hemi and likes it.

Originally Posted By: oblivion
Just picked up a new ride a few days ago. A 2006 Chrysler 300C Hemi with 55K on it and almost every option except the AWD. Absolutely love it so far.

No idea what's in the crankcase now. It looks pretty clean, but I'm planning on changing it over the next few days and using 5W20 Valvoline Synpower full synthetic (just picked up a case on sale) with a Wix filter.

Well since you already bought 2 quality products go ahead and use them but in the future you have many choices for both the filter and oil if you want a good product.

Do you live in the snow belt? If so you might wanna grab some snow tires. I am a fan of snow tires + rwd anyday over the AWD + All Seasons anyways.

My other car has always done well with Mobil1, but it was hard to pass up the Valvoline on sale for $10/case less, and I'd heard good things about it.

I do live in the snow belt, and am used to RWD cars in snow (more fun than FWD in my opinion), but will probably use my older car as a winter car and keep the salt off the new one, at least when I can.

Originally Posted By: badnews
Doesn't that engine call for a 5W40 oil ?

The 300 uses the 5.7L HEMI and calls for 5W-20.
The 300 SRT8 uses the 6.1L and calls for 0W-40.

The OP's vehicle is a 300-C so it uses the 5.7L and thus 5W-20.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: oblivion

That is a good combo. Should work out fine. Be sure and stay with a 20 weight due to MDS( you should have MDS ).

Wanted to add that I finally had a chance to change the oil and put in the Synpower 5W-20.

Kind of a minor adventure:

I was thwarted every time I wanted to change it in the past week--got stuck working late, then too dark and too tired. Wanted to do it Saturday. Discovered my ramps (made of 1/2" steel stock by my dear departed grandfather and sturdy enough to hold the space shuttle) were too steep and would destroy the car's air dam if I used them. So a trip to Harbor Freight for ramps--these had a better slope, but the heavy RWD car would push them down the driveway instead of climbing them. Another trip to O'Reilly and bought some better ramps for only a couple dollars more. I like these--they are plastic too, but wider and with rubber feet. But alas, the car still pushed them down my driveway, albeit a little different---the car would climb them a little, then shoot them out from under the front tires like watermelon seeds.

So another trip out to Lowe's for something rubber that I could put under them and keep them from sliding. Wouldn't you know that the Lowe's employees I talked to claimed to NOT have any kind of rubber pad I could use in their entire cavernous store... So I wandered around through roofing, hardware, etc., having no luck. Finally happened across some recycled rubber entryway mats that looked tough enough to stop a small-caliber bullet for about $8/each. These did the trick and I was able to get the car to mount the ramps with no problem, but had to call it a night until Sunday, as getting dusk again.

Despite the dealer saying that he'd changed the oil per my request and me having an invoice with "oil changed per customer request" with no other info, I was skeptical. The oil didn't look bad, as I mentioned in the OP, but when I drained it, it was pretty dark.

Apparently Hercules had tightened the drain plug, as I had to rap the socket handle to break it loose. The filter was almost as bad and took some time to get to turn as well. Added 7 quarts of Synpower (prefilled the filter before installation), turned the key, and had oil pressure almost instantly with no mechanical noise.

Driving it, the car feels more responsive on the synthetic and oil pressure is slightly lower at idle and slightly higher at midrange RPMS. Seems to indicate a used-up, thickened oil was in there to me, or perhaps the wrong viscosity. (18PSI hot at 560RPM, 50-60@3000+ Motor is quiet, with only the very barest hint of the infamous "Hemi tick" that you have to really listen for at idle. So I'm overall pleased with the results.

Just wanted to follow up... Thanks all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back